Jump to content

07/31/21 - Hershey, PA - Hersheypark Stadium


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

Based on videos, I thought that was the best tone slash has had since rejoining Guns. Maybe I’m wrong here but he sounded a lot better than before, which was still great. Maybe it was the tempo change? Even Frank seemed a bit better

don't  know, i wasn't  happy with the show overall ( worst gnr show i have seen) plus i had problems with the live instagram stream all night.

What happened with Adam Day?

Edited by felixGNR
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This show was it. If it wasn’t over before, it’s over now. His voice is completely shot, he sounds like someone doing bad GNR karaoke. I am genuinely surprised that rock media isn’t talking about this, he sounds embarrassing. It’s at a point where it’s just distasteful for him  to continue touring.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I will agree with that.  At first I saw the setlist and and watched a few clips and was like WTF??

If there was a silver lining it was that I liked Slash's tone and the tempo was noticeably better on a lot of songs. November Rain for one. It seems as though they may have dropped the pyro and click track which is a great thing. 

Axl was brutal and I just hope he is better tonight. He had to just straight up skip lines and words which I really don't ever recall him doing.  

For the amount of money they charge, I enjoy the 3 hours shows and it was a bummer to see a shorter version of almost the exact setlist. The band should have rented an arena for a week and just played the shit out of all their songs (with Axl) 

Would have liked to see Locomotive, Shadow, Think About You and Out Ta Get Me.. The only songs they played last night that I haven't see during the reunion were Dead Horse, Slither, You're Crazy and I'm Gonna Be Your Dog..  Hopefully they at least play those tonight.

I know Axl is generally pretty bad the first show..  Does he ever improve by the second one?

you don't  like Pyro?  i mean i dislike Kiss style pyro, but i saw nothing wrong with the way gnr used to do it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, felixGNR said:

you don't  like Pyro?  i mean i dislike Kiss style pyro, but i saw nothing wrong with the way gnr used to do it.

 I never thought it fit in with their shows. It also requires a click track which I think has a negative effect on the tempo of the band.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I just played that for my wife and she said "why won't he say all of the words?" lol

It's somewhat acceptable until "devil in me" bit, he skips that and from there on it becomes really bizarre.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Rovim said:

no. I'm saying that's how it's been for years now and that Axl's days as a great vocalist are not behind him imo. What is the point of making suggestion lists if we know how he operates? I think you mistake my perception of it as some sort of approval. I just don't think this show was an indication of how it's always going to be from now on.

Ah well as long as you're not approving it, then there's no harm! I just can't stand the other type of fan that refuses to hear the glaring negatives. 

Like we both said he improves as the tour goes on. I'm just vehemently opposed to that work style. This is his shtick though, we all know the routine unfortunately! Hopefully he gets his shit together fir everyone attending the next gig!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

 I never thought it fit in with their shows. It also requires a click track which I think has a negative effect on the tempo of the band.. 

True,  few lights/lasers A bit of fire during live and let die and the sparklers during NR. Besides that the pyros seem to always be slightly off their cue so scrap 'em! 

I don't like Coldplay but their show looks a million times more impressive and it's all just a light show 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

I think we can all agree that we hope to hell that tonight’s gig is an improvement….if it’s as bad then…..😬

I have tickets for next year and will go regardless as you wouldn’t bet against it being the last time they ever come to Scotland. I’m just hoping by then the right setlist decisions have been made.

I’m going to Glasgow as well and it’ll be my first time seeing them as I wasn’t a nu guns fan and I said I would only see them if slash came back. So I’m just going to enjoy seeing my favourite band play songs I enjoy listening to. The good thing is Glasgow is nearer the end of the European leg so there’s a better chance we might see Axl sing as good as he’s going to be on that leg of the tour. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

If it wasn’t over before, it’s over now. His voice is completely shot, he sounds like someone doing bad GNR karaoke. 

I've thought and said that for years. I still think he's the best frontman ever though. 

  • GNFNR 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, felixGNR said:

don't  know, i wasn't  happy with the show overall ( worst gnr show i have seen) plus i had problems with the live instagram stream all night.

What happened with Adam Day?

I saw slash had a new tech? Maybe Day didn’t want to come out due to covid? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, felixGNR said:

he needs a voice lift surgery  to start.

I looked into what a "voice lift" is. It seems there are some famous singers who got vocal surgeries (Aerosmith for example).

I just don't think Axl would risk doing something that could potentially change his voice when there is still money to be made by touring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I will agree with that.  At first I saw the setlist and and watched a few clips and was like WTF??

If there was a silver lining it was that I liked Slash's tone and the tempo was noticeably better on a lot of songs. November Rain for one. It seems as though they may have dropped the pyro and click track which is a great thing. 

Axl was brutal and I just hope he is better tonight. He had to just straight up skip lines and words which I really don't ever recall him doing.  

For the amount of money they charge, I enjoy the 3 hours shows and it was a bummer to see a shorter version of almost the exact setlist. The band should have rented an arena for a week and just played the shit out of all their songs (with Axl) 

Would have liked to see Locomotive, Shadow, Think About You and Out Ta Get Me.. The only songs they played last night that I haven't see during the reunion were Dead Horse, Slither, You're Crazy and I'm Gonna Be Your Dog..  Hopefully they at least play those tonight.

I know Axl is generally pretty bad the first show..  Does he ever improve by the second one?

I’m in the same state of thinking. Headed to Fenway tonight too (as I’m sure you are) and the only must hear for me is locomotive. I can deal with not hearing dead horse, slither, you’re crazy, and duffs cover. Those are all new to me as well since last show I went to was in Hartford. TWAT would be my other must hear but I don’t think I’ll get either. Hopefully it’s a longer set and smoother sailing than the other night but I’m not getting my hopes up. 
 

as long as slash has the same tone as the other night I’ll be happy. I thought it was incredible and the more I watch it this morning the more I’m in awe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He could sing more songs like Catcher, Atlas, If The World, Prostitute, etc. which utilize his clean voice most of the time. It was irritating to me in 2009, 2010 or whatever when he would rasp through those through and through, sounded off since he didn't do that a lot on the album. I think it's better (these days) to use the rasp in bits of songs, sort of like Scraped, as an example. His clean voice is natural anyways, probably better for him to stick to that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Gold top 78 said:

I’m going to Glasgow as well and it’ll be my first time seeing them as I wasn’t a nu guns fan and I said I would only see them if slash came back. So I’m just going to enjoy seeing my favourite band play songs I enjoy listening to. The good thing is Glasgow is nearer the end of the European leg so there’s a better chance we might see Axl sing as good as he’s going to be on that leg of the tour. 

Yeah - hopefully things will have been sorted by then in terms of song choice/singing style. At the very least I’d want ‘decent’ vocals……!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, VeeR said:

I looked into what a "voice lift" is. It seems there are some famous singers who got vocal surgeries (Aerosmith for example).

I just don't think Axl would risk doing something that could potentially change his voice when there is still money to be made by touring.

I guess it depends on what the damage is. And if he was going to do it then lockdown surely would’ve been the time (unless he was recording vocals for studio tracks…….it’s possible 🤣).

Tyler is lucky in that he has a high speaking voice meaning his singing voice is not that far away….Axl has a deep speaking voice and so the stretch to his singing voice was always ‘odd’ and certainly not easy to maintain.

Has there ever been any breakdown of his signing style?

Edited by DTJ80
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

He could sing more songs like Catcher, Atlas, If The World, Prostitute, etc. which utilize his clean voice most of the time. It was irritating to me in 2009, 2010 or whatever when he would rasp through those through and through, sounded off since he didn't do that a lot on the album. I think it's better (these days) to use the rasp in bits of songs, sort of like Scraped, as an example. His clean voice is natural anyways, probably better for him to stick to that. 

Yah, but no one wants to hear him sing that garbage. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I guess it depends on what the damage is. And if he was going to do it then lockdown surely would’ve been the time (unless he was recording vocals for studio tracks…….it’s possible 🤣).

Tyler is lucky in that he has a high speaking voice meaning his singing voice is not that far away….Axl has a deep speaking voice and so the stretch to his singing voice was always ‘odd’ and certainly not easy to maintain.

Has there ever been any breakdown of his signing style?

Prince had as low of a speaking voice as Axl, maybe even lower. I saw him in concert a year before his death and he was hitting notes higher than they were on the record. 

I realize Prince never sang with rasp or certainly not anywhere near as much as Axl. However, it does prove that you can sing very high, very well as long as you take care of yourself and your voice. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I will agree with that.  At first I saw the setlist and and watched a few clips and was like WTF??

If there was a silver lining it was that I liked Slash's tone and the tempo was noticeably better on a lot of songs. November Rain for one. It seems as though they may have dropped the pyro and click track which is a great thing. 

Axl was brutal and I just hope he is better tonight. He had to just straight up skip lines and words which I really don't ever recall him doing.  

For the amount of money they charge, I enjoy the 3 hours shows and it was a bummer to see a shorter version of almost the exact setlist. The band should have rented an arena for a week and just played the shit out of all their songs (with Axl) 

Would have liked to see Locomotive, Shadow, Think About You and Out Ta Get Me.. The only songs they played last night that I haven't see during the reunion were Dead Horse, Slither, You're Crazy and I'm Gonna Be Your Dog..  Hopefully they at least play those tonight.

I know Axl is generally pretty bad the first show..  Does he ever improve by the second one?

Im not opposed to a shorter set if Axl could nail the songs far better. Glad they cut some of the cover fillers but they are still over playing songs like kohd, rq, nr. No reason to have them play so damn long.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Prince had as low of a speaking voice as Axl, maybe even lower. I saw him in concert a year before his death and he was hitting notes higher than they were on the record. 

I realize Prince never sang with rasp or certainly not anywhere near as much as Axl. However, it does prove that you can sing very high, very well as long as you take care of yourself and your voice. 

Oh totally - and what we now know about Prince and the substances makes it all the more admirable.

Its that ‘rasp’ that’s the difference…..I’ve tried to do it just for a laugh and very quickly it’s a disaster 🤣.

Some of those shows back in 91 in particular must have caused damage (Nobelsville) as that was like the rasp had rasp! The life of a rock n roll singer who lived the life and never took the care needed to preserve his voice right from the off. I’ve often said - these guys probably didn’t think they would last as a band or live very long and so didn’t do the things most bands do to try and ensure longevity.

I guess we are all looking for improvement tonight to give some hope that not all is lost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question: What time did WVH come on stage and then what time did GNR come on stage?  I'm taking my 72 year old mom to the MetLife show in NJ on Thursday and don't want her to have to sit in the seat any longer than necessary.  Seeing WVH is NOT a priority for me.  Thank you! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Who's nitpicking rasp? There's barely even been a mention of rasp in this thread since the forum came back online a few hours ago. Regardless, I don't think it's embarrassing to hold someone you are giving your money to to some sort of standard. There were songs Saturday night where Axl couldn't get the rasp, couldn't stay on pitch, couldn't pronounce his words, and couldn't even navigate all of the lyrics. There were songs (Better was the most obvious) where there were literally zero redeeming qualities. 

Please. This forum has been going after the level of "rasp" in his voice for years. I'm not sure if you can search by keywords on this but if you searched that word you'd be in for plenty of reading material.

I agree that its important to hold someone to a standard of performance but I'm going into these shows with my eyes open. He's, what, 58/59? I don't expect him to hold the notes like he could back in 1992 (since they returned to touring in 2002 can anyone truly give me an example of a strong vocal performance during November Rain?). I expect him to deliver a fun, exciting show where everyone can go home having enjoyed themselves. If it's true they're slowing down the pace of songs etc. then that tells you all you need to know. Time is catching up with them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...