08/22/21 - Portland, OR - MODA Center

Powerage5

33 minutes ago, darkside259 said:

they said it was very good 

I just listened to the first couple of minutes of it it…you couldn’t show those vocals to a casual observer w/out them wondering what the hell is wrong with the guy singing. I saw some videos of that song performed from previous shows where it was at least somewhat passable. 

Just now, vail2004 said:

were you at the gig last night?  i was.  YCBM was a highlight.  Axl's overall performance was fabulous.

so many people in their own ridiculous GnR obsessively critical bubble on this forum.  if this were 1992 and UYI tour recordings were being posted people would knock them. 

yeah - he has aged.  but he is still crushing it, commanding the stage better than frontmen half his age and a very competent live vocalist.  can he do things vocally he could 15 yrs ago?  no ... but thats because bar was so high 

Ive been to two shows on the NITL tour. It’s obviously not really something to be concerned with live. I enjoy myself fine in person no matter the song. When i take off my rose colored glasses at home though I can’t deny Axl sounds bad on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

The truth is: He still sounds like shit overall, we just lowered our standards because we want to like it.

Yep..I think a good benchmark is can you imagine yourself sending a link of a performance to a friend or whoever with the idea being that they would be reasonably impressed? I think we’re away from that standard on the majority of songs they play unfortunately. I mean shit, most of the pro-shot selects they deemed worthy of release to the general public don’t qualify either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Guapo said:

The truth is: He still sounds like shit overall, we just lowered our standards because we want to like it.

He sounds a lot better in person than on camera videos. For 59 years old he is kicking serious ass. He works his butt off on stage and gives a great effort that I appreciate. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Martin Riggs said:

Yep..I think a good benchmark is can you imagine yourself sending a link of a performance to a friend or whoever with the idea being that they would be reasonably impressed? I think we’re away from that standard on the majority of songs they play unfortunately. I mean shit, most of the pro-shot selects they deemed worthy of release to the general public don’t qualify either. 

Where did you get that animated image from the UYI cover? I think you nail it. Hell there's a bunch of UYI performances that are hard to listen to due to almost too much rasp and Axl looking like he's about to pass out while singing.

Listening to the few 80s videos of the band that are available live, it's clear that was peak Axl vocally. The decline was there in the early 90s although he still sounded pretty good. There's a thinness to his vocals though that's noticeable.

Good live singing should pass any test. There's video of loads of artists on YouTube that sound amazing despite being filmed with whatever video cameras they had in the 80s s/90s.

Edited by mystery
  • Like 2