09/01/21 - Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center

Powerage5

20 minutes ago, dallasgnrfan said:

Like others have said, I am still flying high from the show last night.  Here are a couple of my takeaways/ review:

-Axl was in a great mood all night; a ton of crowd interaction and genuinely felt like he was giving 110%.  A couple pages back someone made a point about the reverb within the arena tends to scoop out some of the highs and lows of the EQ which makes his vocals sound more passable, but as far as I could hear from my location, he absolutely crushed it last night.  We have to still give him shit that he missed his queue in the Jungle outro though!

-Slash is on another level, too many highlights to mention, but thought it was very cool that he just sat down on a monitor during his guitar solo and went absolutely apeshit.  This is my third time to see the band since NITL started and he was more interactive with the crowd and put on a killer performance.

-Fortus' playing is rather impressive; I was actually into RQ this time around but KOHD did get pretty monotonous since it feels like the song stretches 45 minutes. 

-The band was going crazy playing Absurd - Axl kicked it up a notch and Slash was noticeably throwing down while playing it. 

-I understand the setlist disappoints many here and sure it would be great to hear a proper version of Dead Horse, So Fine, PTU, Locomotive, etc., but all in all, it is a damn good setlist.  GNR rocked out for 3 hours last night and I'll never complain about that.

All in all the easiest way for me to sum it up is this - being in the pit at a GNR show with Axl, Slash & Duff is truly one of my happy places.  I will never turn down a GNR show if it is remotely in my geography and I sincerely hope they are back in Texas sooner than later.  It is an absolute treat to watch this band live.  I was slightly too young to catch them during UYI, so it was a long wait to get to 2016- Present, but I think all is great in the GNR world and I'm super optimistic that we're going to see new music sooner than later.  This band is too good not to put out new material. 

Can't get this link to embed in my post but caught couple great shots of Axl on the piano next to Slash. 

https://ibb.co/qYLPn3S

I'm glad you were able to get into the pit and had a blast!!!

What was the mask/vaccination status situation like? I assume most masks came off once people got into the arena.

I am at peace with missing last night's GNR show. Don't feel like I missed out on something I haven't seen multiple times before.

I feel that I have aged out of concerts in general and COVID pushed me further in the direction of giving up concerts altogether.

As someone in their mid-40s, I am more interested in getting a goodnight's sleep than attending a rock show. :lol:

May the younger generation keep rocking! Peace!

Edited by rockphantom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

This a random setlist from 2016:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t2679-2016-07-19-gillette-stadium-foxboro-ma-usa

Songs played in the last three shows in 2021 that were not played in 2016:  Slither, You're Crazy, Absurd, Don't Cry, Madagascar, Wichita, I Wanna Be Your Dog.

Songs in the 2016 setlist that haven't been played in 2021: TIL, Coma, Out Ta Get Me, My Michelle, Sorry, Attitude (they rotated Patience with Don't Cry then, now they play both).

The jams have also changed.

The jams are some of the worst parts!! There's way too much of all that. The intro before jungle is fun though. 

Not saying there isn't changes, but this is minute stuff, my main point was that ISE, brownstone etc remain in their cemented spots and this is the same for the majority of the show. It's definitely far more similar than different if we compare now to then.

If you go to the next show you can with great accuracy predict the set. I know a lot of bands tour that way, but those other bands don't blow their trumpet with an "all new set" or say the infamous line "every show is different, we don't have a setlist". 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

The jams are some of the worst parts!! There's way too much of all that. The intro before jungle is fun though. 

Not saying there isn't changes, but this is minute stuff, my main point was that ISE, brownstone etc remain in their cemented spots and this is the same for the majority of the show. It's definitely far more similar than different if we compare now to then.

If you go to the next show you can with great accuracy predict the set. I know a lot of bands tour that way, but those other bands don't blow their trumpet with an "all new set" or say the infamous line "every show is different, we don't have a setlist". 

It's especially bad that you even keep doing that section of slow, long ass songs one after the other

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

It's especially bad that you even keep doing that section of slow, long ass songs one after the other

As long as it's not coma I can get over this. In fact I can get over most things but really, really long guitar solos. The blues jam is just so fucking nauseating! That basic progression😴 it would be different if they did what the last version of gnr did and built song structures, like Richard's solo from 2012. Now that was entertaining, i'd love to hear Slash play over that exact track in fact! I know they did the godfather so that's kinda similar, but it just didn't do anything for me and never has.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

There's less jams now than there were in 2016. They've trimmed down the solo section in RQ so it doesn't go on indefinitely until Slash decides to do the slide part, same with KOHD you can tell they've got the solos planned out. Slash's blues solo is really fun in person even though it's the same progression. That's about it for jams and they've added a couple more Fortus solos (Absurd, the first solo in I Wanna Be Your Dog, first solo in You're Crazy).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MrSoftie said:

Listening to Jungle again I'm surprised to be saying the ending screw up was the band's fault :lol: Axl was in time with Frank and Duff, don't know what happened to slash?

The whole incident kinda confirms for me that at least Slash and Duff don’t have Axl on their in-ear monitors

37 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

There's less jams now than there were in 2016. They've trimmed down the solo section in RQ so it doesn't go on indefinitely until Slash decides to do the slide part, same with KOHD you can tell they've got the solos planned out. Slash's blues solo is really fun in person even though it's the same progression. That's about it for jams and they've added a couple more Fortus solos (Absurd, the first solo in I Wanna Be Your Dog, first solo in You're Crazy).

I love the jams and hope they never stop... As Slash once said at a very old show.. "If you don't like it, go get a beer or go fuck your old lady or something"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

If by "change" we mean at least half of the setlist being different, then yes, it hasn't changed (still, with 7 different songs, it's not accurate to say that it's the exact same setlist). But I don't know how many bands out there (if any) change their setlists that much these days.

I don't recall them ever saying that "every show is different" for the NITL tour or this current tour. I think only Frank has said that they rehearse many songs and they may play the "odd" song.

Of course it would've been better and they could add some songs that haven't been played, like Dust N' Bones or Pretty Tied Up (strange that they seem to have dropped this one, even though they rehearsed it and Axl sounded good on it). They could also change the order a bit more than they have, especially in regards to the opening songs - however, the first songs, being all on Axl's lower register, seem to serve as vocal warm-ups.

But also, if we're speculating that Axl can't pull off Hardschool and that's why they don't play it, then we can't expect him to be able to sing Locomotive, for example, either (sadly). I remember when they released a pro shot of Locomotive, everyone here criticised them for "daring" to release such a bad performance.

The many jams/solo spots have generally been a problem since 1992 (every other comparison aside - especially Axl's voice - there's nothing worse than Matt Sorum's drum solo :lol:).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

Just now, Tom-Ass said:

Just go.. You will have a blast. Slash is also playing out of his tits right now.. I have to believe it is due to the adjusted tempos.

Exactly - I may have a greater appreciation/ bias because I am guitar player but Slash is absolutely crushing on this tour. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

In the videos I've watched, I actually think Axl sounds pretty good. Maybe my standards have dropped. We're not at 2016 levels, of course, but I'm considering hitting the Baltimore show now.

Just go.. You will have a blast. Slash is also playing out of his tits right now.. I have to believe it is due to the adjusted tempos are a huge factor in this.. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Same.. I love watching the band jam out and extend songs.. But aside from very few exceptions, I hate drums solos.

Honestly I got spoiled seeing Rush a few times live, it is hard to top a Neil Peart drum solo so all the other ones seem boring by comparison :lol:

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1