09/01/21 - Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center

Powerage5

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

If by "change" we mean at least half of the setlist being different, then yes, it hasn't changed (still, with 7 different songs, it's not accurate to say that it's the exact same setlist). But I don't know how many bands out there (if any) change their setlists that much these days.

I don't recall them ever saying that "every show is different" for the NITL tour or this current tour. I think only Frank has said that they rehearse many songs and they may play the "odd" song.

Of course it would've been better and they could add some songs that haven't been played, like Dust N' Bones or Pretty Tied Up (strange that they seem to have dropped this one, even though they rehearsed it and Axl sounded good on it). They could also change the order a bit more than they have, especially in regards to the opening songs - however, the first songs, being all on Axl's lower register, seem to serve as vocal warm-ups.

But also, if we're speculating that Axl can't pull off Hardschool and that's why they don't play it, then we can't expect him to be able to sing Locomotive, for example, either (sadly). I remember when they released a pro shot of Locomotive, everyone here criticised them for "daring" to release such a bad performance.

The many jams/solo spots have generally been a problem since 1992 (every other comparison aside - especially Axl's voice - there's nothing worse than Matt Sorum's drum solo :lol:).

You are 100% right about that drum solo🤣 

Edited by Tom2112

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

There's less jams now than there were in 2016. They've trimmed down the solo section in RQ so it doesn't go on indefinitely until Slash decides to do the slide part, same with KOHD you can tell they've got the solos planned out. Slash's blues solo is really fun in person even though it's the same progression. That's about it for jams and they've added a couple more Fortus solos (Absurd, the first solo in I Wanna Be Your Dog, first solo in You're Crazy).

Prefacing this with this all my subjective opinion before anyone shouts at me! 😜 it takes about 6 minutes of soloing before Slash decides to go into the slide, that's 3 minutes too long, richard should have a quick doodle (30-40 secs) If he has too, I'd be fine not hearing his soloing on that song. Slash should do 2minutes maybe 3 on his talk box and then hit that slide and take us home. I can't be the only one bored off my trolley listening to that section. I just rewatched the AFDemocracy version of RQ and it's about a million times more enjoyable on all levels. 

As for the blues solo, I think it's a 'you had to be there' thing. When he did the blues solo when I saw them it felt long but I could kinda drift in and out of it.... and get a beer😄

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Prefacing this with this all my subjective opinion before anyone shouts at me! 😜 it takes about 6 minutes of soloing before Slash decides to go into the slide, that's 3 minutes too long, richard should have a quick doodle (30-40 secs) If he has too, I'd be fine not hearing his soloing on that song. Slash should do 2minutes maybe 3 on his talk box and then hit that slide and take us home. I can't be the only one bored off my trolley listening to that section. I just rewatched the AFDemocracy version of RQ and it's about a million times more enjoyable on all levels. 

As for the blues solo, I think it's a 'you had to be there' thing. When he did the blues solo when I saw them it felt long but I could kinda drift in and out of it.... and get a beer😄

Yea the solos on RQ are a drag at this point. The talkbox solo was kinda cool in 2016-17 as a nod to the UYI tour version, but it's gotten stale.

If Slash really wants to do some extended solos, I'd rather hear him fuck around with a slide and Travis Bean during Bad Obsession...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

Honestly I got spoiled seeing Rush a few times live, it is hard to top a Neil Peart drum solo so all the other ones seem boring by comparison :lol:

Was never a big Rush fan but I can see that.. There are always a few exceptions.. I remember enjoying Alex Van Halen's drum solo... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChrisMaciel said:

The fact that slash or duff doesn’t have Axl vocals in theirs IEM makes no sense since Axl’s talking a lot to the band using his microphone.

That's a separate auxiliary channel so his main vocal might be low in their IEM mix, but his talk back on stage is probably loud and clear. I'd love if those talk back recordings leaked again 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea the solos on RQ are a drag at this point. The talkbox solo was kinda cool in 2016-17 as a nod to the UYI tour version, but it's gotten stale.

I think Slash's Rocket Queen solo sounds way better now than 2016/17.. Most likely due to the improved tempos again.. Rocket Queen was the absolute highlight for me during my last show..  I love the way they jam the intro for a couple minutes and I actually think Slash and Fortus sound good together during that part.. If they cut out the 3 minute Fortus solo in the middle it would be perfect.. After 5 1/2 years it still doesn't fit..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I think Slash's Rocket Queen solo sounds way better now than 2016/17.. Most likely due to the improved tempos again.. Rocket Queen was the absolute highlight for me during my last show..  I love the way they jam the intro for a couple minutes and I actually think Slash and Fortus sound good together during that part.. If they cut out the 3 minute Fortus solo in the middle it would be perfect.. After 5 1/2 years it still doesn't fit..

Agreed they should cut Fortus' solo, or at least cut it down to like 1 minute at the most, but I'm not a fan of the extended intro... RQ just doesn't need to be drawn out over 10+ minutes IMO.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Agreed they should cut Fortus' solo, or at least cut it down to like 1 minute at the most, but I'm not a fan of the extended intro... RQ just doesn't need to be drawn out over 10+ minutes IMO.

Take out the Fortus solo and it is only 9 minutes!! hah..  I took an edible a little while ago and am watching last nights RQ as we speak... Loving it.. I just wish some how, some way Axl could pull something out of his ass and sound awesome on this song.. Doesn't matter in person thought.. He sounds good enough and he has thousands of fans backing him up.. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Take out the Fortus solo and it is only 9 minutes!! hah..  I took an edible a little while ago and am watching last nights RQ as we speak... Loving it.. I just wish some how, some way Axl could pull something out of his ass and sound awesome on this song.. Doesn't matter in person thought.. He sounds good enough and he has thousands of fans backing him up.. 

Even without Fortus that's still a bit much lol... I hate to say it but honestly RQ is better suited to SMKC gigs at this point. I get that the atmosphere is better when you're at the gig but I wouldn't be disappointed to see RQ retired for a while, or at least alternated with songs that Slash could still do extended solos on, like Bad Obsession or Locomotive, or maybe a cover like Parisienne Walkways (I would love to hear Slash and Axl play that one...)

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I agree with all of this.

@DestinyHow was it for you?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

He still sounds like shit, when you are there. The crowd singing doesn't cover up jack.

7 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

That's a separate auxiliary channel so his main vocal might be low in their IEM mix, but his talk back on stage is probably loud and clear. I'd love if those talk back recordings leaked again 

I used to have the soundboard recording of Download Festival 2006. I was there and he walked off a few times but didn't say anything to the audience about why.

The recording had the talk back with him ranting at people not doing their jobs properly and threatening to leave.

Hilarious in hindsight but at the time you fear the worst 😄

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bansidhe said:

I used to have the soundboard recording of Download Festival 2006. I was there and he walked off a few times but didn't say anything to the audience about why.

The recording had the talk back with him ranting at people not doing their jobs properly and threatening to leave.

Hilarious in hindsight but at the time you fear the worst 😄

I remember he mistakenly said "rockin' scientist" instead of "rocket" there. Kinda characteristic when you think about it! 

On 9/2/2021 at 3:23 PM, Bitchisback said:

I would be shocked if 5% of the crowd heard of it.

I'll never forget seeing GnR in 2006 and singing along with Better and people asking me how I knew the song and what was it

Most people attending GNR concerts post-2015 just don't know or care about Chinese Democracy or any leaked tracks, at least enough to know their names. In 2017, a lot of people asked me and others about This I Love, because they liked it and the song was essentially the talk of the crowd as people were leaving.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 1