09/01/21 - Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center

Powerage5

4 hours ago, Bansidhe said:

I used to have the soundboard recording of Download Festival 2006. I was there and he walked off a few times but didn't say anything to the audience about why.

There’s no soundboard recording circulating from Download 2006 but there’s IEM mix

7 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Most people attending GNR concerts post-2015 just don't know or care about Chinese Democracy or any leaked tracks, at least enough to know their names. In 2017, a lot of people asked me and others about This I Love, because they liked it and the song was essentially the talk of the crowd as people were leaving.

Agreed. A mate of mine who described himself as a 'Guns fan' wasn't aware ChiDem even existed. He gave it a listen and loved it. The promotion around it was dire really. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

In this one work, but it review was more about if the crowds wear or not wear masks that about the GN'R show. 

2 hours ago, ruttu69 said:

There’s no soundboard recording circulating from Download 2006 but there’s IEM mix

Ah yeah that's what I was meaning.

With it just being from the in ears, it's not great to listen to in terms of a nice mix but it's fun to hear all the shenanigans that we didn't hear out front.

16 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Even without Fortus that's still a bit much lol... I hate to say it but honestly RQ is better suited to SMKC gigs at this point. I get that the atmosphere is better when you're at the gig but I wouldn't be disappointed to see RQ retired for a while, or at least alternated with songs that Slash could still do extended solos on, like Bad Obsession or Locomotive, or maybe a cover like Parisienne Walkways The Great Pretender (I would love to hear Slash and Axl play that one...)

Fixed

• Like 2

On 9/1/2021 at 5:14 PM, FabioRoses said:

Axl always does pretty good on TX concerts. Lubbock 2013 and Houston 2016 were fuckin awesome

Yeah, I agree! I saw him at the Alamodome  in 2017 (San Antonio) and that was the concert where it was almost 4 hours long and we got a 6 song encore.

Axl told us to call our rides because we were gonna be late! Epic! :headbang:

• Like 4

14 hours ago, mingsubu said:

He still sounds like shit, when you are there. The crowd singing doesn't cover up jack.

I am not an Axl apologist but you are in the minority with that opinion... I went to Fenway which was the second show and he was in rough shape.. I could hear it but it sure didn't ruin the show for anyone. The crowd participation 100% helps and everyone has a great time at the shows. If this band can still do one thing right, it is put on a great fucking rock show.. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Bansidhe said:

I used to have the soundboard recording of Download Festival 2006. I was there and he walked off a few times but didn't say anything to the audience about why.

The recording had the talk back with him ranting at people not doing their jobs properly and threatening to leave.

Hilarious in hindsight but at the time you fear the worst 😄

That's a fun listen. Think there's 9 iems that I can think of

5 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I think that for any band, going on 5 years with minimal changes with a singer who is getting lesser year after year, can be a drag.  Me, for example, have saved my money to go to other shows instead and chose the Black Crowes over seeing GNR the same night this year cause I saw an amazing sounding Axl in 2016 and 80 percent the same list (and Steven Adler)

So I can imagine many others like me, wanting to spend our money and time on different musical experiences until things change substantially or performances improve vocally

Your Guns show was half a decade ago though... Guarantee the show would have been fresh to you and you would have had a blast.. I did the Black Crowes and Guns this summer.. The Crowes were real good but there wasn't even a comparison.. Guns put on 10 times the show.. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Your Guns show was half a decade ago though... Guarantee the show would have been fresh to you and you would have had a blast.. I did the Black Crowes and Guns this summer.. The Crowes were real good but there wasn't even a comparison.. Guns put on 10 times the show.. 

I am totally sure either show I would pick would have been kickass for sure!  I am definitely not saying had I picked GNR I would have been miserable ha, but I dunno, I had never seen the Crowes and have seen GNR in various iterations 4 times now, and have been in a more of a mood for that southern rock thing in general lately. 

So having to pick between both of them since they landed on the same night, I just feel like I made the right pick choosing the act I have yet to see, and Chris Robinson completely demolished the place with his vocals.  Absurd just wasn't enough of a change to sway me to see GNR show #5 over a new thing for me

I also know that GNR hits Los Angeles very often (2016, 2017, 2019, and now) so I know I will get to see them next time - and who the hell knows if Chris and Rich will last beyond this tour without killing each other :lol:

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, invisible_rose said:

Agreed. A mate of mine who described himself as a 'Guns fan' wasn't aware ChiDem even existed. He gave it a listen and loved it. The promotion around it was dire really. 

Terrible promotion, but there are also a lot of lapsed rock fans that have no clue what's going on, and wouldn't know that most classic bands have released several new albums.

The majority of a current GNR crowd are not really aware or have not really listened to CD. They are also oblivious to a lot of deeper tracks off AFD and UYI, TSI and Lies... they are what we call greatest hits fans.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 10:08 PM, MattleyCrue said:

Set list fm says slash played bad to the bone? Really?

He played a snippet of Rumble

On 9/2/2021 at 12:17 AM, GNRfanJen said:

Back in the hotel and I’m EXHAUSTED. But wow. I truly couldn’t have asked for a better first show back. I’m happy beyond what words can express. I REALLY needed that. I’m going to write a whole wall of text tomorrow for my review, but for now, I’ll just give the biggest highlight of the night: AXL WAVED AT ME. TWICE. 😭 I’ll go into more detail tomorrow, but yeah, I’m basically never getting over it and I’m so happy about it. 

HEY I saw you there! And both times Axl waved at you! It was so cute to watch, I'm happy for you! :axl:

On 9/2/2021 at 7:49 PM, MaskingApathy said:

I agree with all of this.

@DestinyHow was it for you?

Didn't mean to take so long to check in! :ph34r:

First pit concert for me and it was worth every penny. I was like 3 row in the pit, dead center, so whenever Axl jumped up on those riser/monitor things I had a GREAT view. Literally everytime he or Slash got up there I just stood there smiling like a fool taking it all in.

I got to the arena on good time. The last bits of the line were getting through the door. Right away me and my cousin found the nearest merch booth and I got a number litho while he got a bandana. Then we made for the pit.

Mammoth was very good and there were some hardcore fans in the pit. Wolfie introduced a song called Think It Over and said it was his dads favorite :cry: That boy can definitely play.

I was surprised I liked the animated intro before guns took the stage. Before both bands there was a plague doctor on the screen which made me smile because I find plague doctors  and their attire fascinating and also with the virus around you know...

- Nighttrain in concert is a whole other level! LOVED IT

-Axls voice got better as the show went on even though he did struggle during some parts, but he seemed to get more rasp. He can still run around and move like the old days which made me so happy to see. Throwing the mike stand around :headbang:

-He was in a good mood, randomly sang "oh give me a home where the buffalo roam...":lol: and that R kelly bit made me laugh out loud. I guess since he was sweating so dam much he had to change shirts alot. He'd run into a little black tent off to the side I guess to change and drink some tea with honey?

- Like others have said he jumped onto the piano and posed. Slash leaned over and said something to him, probably called him a slut :lol:

-When Slash did the short Rumble solo Axl said some facts about it being in Pulp Fiction.. "And this has been trivia night with Axl."

-Band intros, saved Slash for last and played along with forgetting him, "That's all right? That's everyone? Pretty sure. I didn't miss anyone right? Help me out"

-And like others noted Slash played his ass and tophat off. Seriously. Dude was on fire, no breaks. 

-Fortus can shred it too when given the chance. Was very impressive.

-Duff was as cool as a cucumber :shades: IT was funny seeing him make faces at Axl especially at the end of one song (cant remember) when he held the last note longer than normal, Duffs leaned over and looked at him funny

-Saw Meegan sit off to the side and I think Beta came out and sat next to her?

-It was nice to hear some CD songs (even if it was just 2) live. And hearing Estranged live was too damn sweet as was DTJ and Civil War. I've never been too much of a fan of KOHD.

-Wichita was a nice reprieve. Well done.

-At the end Axl threw his mic out to the crowd. It sailed right over me and a drop of sweat? spit? Landed on my arm :blink:

The sound was iffy at points or so i thought so. Maybe where i was? Sometimes I'd miss parts of a slash solo or it'd go in and out. But I'm so glad I took the chance to see them again! My inner 16 year old has been flying high since then. The whole next day I couldn't stop smiling when I'd think about it.

I'll post up the pictures here hopefully by tomorrow (this thread desperately needs some!) My phone started acting up so I had to transfer them to laptop. I'll include the litho too.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, Destiny said:

The sound was iffy at points or so i thought so. Maybe where i was? Sometimes I'd miss parts of a slash solo or it'd go in and out. But I'm so glad I took the chance to see them again! My inner 16 year old has been flying high since then. The whole next day I couldn't stop smiling when I'd think about it.

I must have been 2-3 people away from you - was just right of center stage.  I felt like Fortus was louder than Slash in the mix also... I'm actually glad you mentioned this, I kinda wondered if it was just me.  Maybe we were just in a bad spot for the PA?  Then again, I loved my location too much to move somewhere else to potentially get a better mix.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 3:59 PM, Tom-Ass said:

I agree, I enjoyed this show more than the one I saw in 2016.

9 hours ago, Destiny said:

He played a snippet of Rumble

HEY I saw you there! And both times Axl waved at you! It was so cute to watch, I'm happy for you! :axl:

Didn't mean to take so long to check in! :ph34r:

First pit concert for me and it was worth every penny. I was like 3 row in the pit, dead center, so whenever Axl jumped up on those riser/monitor things I had a GREAT view. Literally everytime he or Slash got up there I just stood there smiling like a fool taking it all in.

I got to the arena on good time. The last bits of the line were getting through the door. Right away me and my cousin found the nearest merch booth and I got a number litho while he got a bandana. Then we made for the pit.

Mammoth was very good and there were some hardcore fans in the pit. Wolfie introduced a song called Think It Over and said it was his dads favorite :cry: That boy can definitely play.

I was surprised I liked the animated intro before guns took the stage. Before both bands there was a plague doctor on the screen which made me smile because I find plague doctors  and their attire fascinating and also with the virus around you know...

- Nighttrain in concert is a whole other level! LOVED IT

-Axls voice got better as the show went on even though he did struggle during some parts, but he seemed to get more rasp. He can still run around and move like the old days which made me so happy to see. Throwing the mike stand around :headbang:

-He was in a good mood, randomly sang "oh give me a home where the buffalo roam...":lol: and that R kelly bit made me laugh out loud. I guess since he was sweating so dam much he had to change shirts alot. He'd run into a little black tent off to the side I guess to change and drink some tea with honey?

- Like others have said he jumped onto the piano and posed. Slash leaned over and said something to him, probably called him a slut :lol:

-When Slash did the short Rumble solo Axl said some facts about it being in Pulp Fiction.. "And this has been trivia night with Axl."

-Band intros, saved Slash for last and played along with forgetting him, "That's all right? That's everyone? Pretty sure. I didn't miss anyone right? Help me out"

-And like others noted Slash played his ass and tophat off. Seriously. Dude was on fire, no breaks. 

-Fortus can shred it too when given the chance. Was very impressive.

-Duff was as cool as a cucumber :shades: IT was funny seeing him make faces at Axl especially at the end of one song (cant remember) when he held the last note longer than normal, Duffs leaned over and looked at him funny

-Saw Meegan sit off to the side and I think Beta came out and sat next to her?

-It was nice to hear some CD songs (even if it was just 2) live. And hearing Estranged live was too damn sweet as was DTJ and Civil War. I've never been too much of a fan of KOHD.

-Wichita was a nice reprieve. Well done.

-At the end Axl threw his mic out to the crowd. It sailed right over me and a drop of sweat? spit? Landed on my arm :blink:

I'll post up the pictures here hopefully by tomorrow (this thread desperately needs some!) My phone started acting up so I had to transfer them to laptop. I'll include the litho too.

Thanks for sharing, glad you had a great time! Looking forward to seeing your photos.

• Like 2