09/04/21 - Napa, CA - Bottlerock Music Festival

Powerage5

10 hours ago, Sosso said:

What's your problem, then? You can just ignrore her and keep your focus on Slash, Duff and Axl :shrugs:

Don't worry I ignore the whole tour. I'm not planning to go to any show. The problem is that some people claim that what she does is essential.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Padme said:

Don't worry I ignore the whole tour. I'm not planning to go to any show. The problem is that some people claim that what she does is essential.

I really like Melissa's singing voice. her backing vocals on Madagascar especially during the last chorus. Someone mentioned Chinese. Also great. Powerful voice with a cool timbre to it. I much prefer the way her voice sounds with Axl's compared to Tracy and Roberta.

you can argue about if she and her synths are necessary but I guess it depends on the band and how important are the details of the instrumentals to a specific listener and what they want to hear. 

it's hardly rare for a rock band to do this like others have already mentioned, only most bands do it the lame way obscured from audience view but if you're against synths in Gn'R there's really no point in discussing it if you can't differentiate your musical preference from the musician who happened to get the Gn'R gig and is just doing her job. (and doing it well in this case, I might add)

should Axl ever choose to utilize Melissa as a composer in Gn'R, she'd already proven she's talented enough in that department as well by collaborating with Bucket and Brain. 

fake flute flurries were a part of the recorded version of November Rain so I feel like it does have its place in the live show. 

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I really like Melissa's singing voice. her backing vocals on Madagascar especially during the last chorus. Someone mentioned Chinese. Also great. Powerful voice with a cool timbre to it. I much prefer the way her voice sounds with Axl's compared to Tracy and Roberta.

I'm not comparing Tracy and Roberta with Melissa. Tracy and Roberta didn't play keyboard. At that time it was Teddy. Was he essential? 

I'm saying that if they were not essential neither is Melissa

38 minutes ago, Rovim said:

you can argue about if she and her synths are necessary but I guess it depends on the band and how important are the details of the instrumentals to a specific listener and what they want to hear. 

Necessary in a song here and there, fine. Essential to the band and the show as whole? I don't think so

40 minutes ago, Rovim said:

should Axl ever choose to utilize Melissa as a composer in Gn'R, she'd already proven she's talented enough in that department as well by collaborating with Bucket and Brain. 

I don't believe that Melissa is the new Izzy Stradlin

48 minutes ago, Rovim said:

fake flute flurries were a part of the recorded version of November Rain so I feel like it does has its place in the live show. 

Where did you get this? NR has keyboards, piano and orchestra. But I never heard anyone talking about specific fake flute flurries for the song in the past when it was recorded. 

14 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Thank for posting this! It's an interesting read. I always love to read about musicians' backgrounds and how they get/end up doing what they do. 

Melissa is obviously really talented. And needed. Playing stadiums and arenas warrants for a little boost on making the overall sound a bit bigger. In my opinion, anyway. If they were playing clubs it would be a different story.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Padme said:

I'm not comparing Tracy and Roberta with Melissa. Tracy and Roberta didn't play keyboard. At that time it was Teddy. Was he essential? 

I'm saying that if they were not essential neither is Melissa

Necessary in a song here and there, fine. Essential to the band and the show as whole? I don't think so

I don't believe that Melissa is the new Izzy Stradlin

Where did you get this? NR has keyboards, piano and orchestra. But I never heard anyone talking about specific fake flute flurries for the song in the past when it was recorded. 

no one said Melissa is the new Izzy. She's a capable composer so a well rounded musician who has more than one skill. Instead of hiring a bunch of people, you only need one to replicate Chinese studio parts live so it's just a better representation of the material and old Guns tunes can be enhanced, but it's very subtle plus great backing vocals.

you keep repeating the essential thing. Essential to what? to you personally getting your ideal youtube experience of a Gn'R show? probably not. But to do the kind of live show Axl is likely interested in, with all the elements that are important to him (and to some fans) yes, it is essential and it doesn't have any drawbacks imo since the main goal here is for Melissa to just give the sound a little kick.

Melissa was talking about the studio parts from the old tunes she had to replicate and program so she can reproduce it live. She is playing some synth parts that Axl came up with for NR that sound like an orchestra for some, but it's Axl doing it all using synts. So it's cool that live these parts are still being performed.

not everything that is important is essential anyway, and you can't bring Melissa out for a couple of tunes and then make her leave the stage. That won't work imo, it will feel weird.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

no one said Melissa is the new Izzy. She's a capable composer so a well rounded musician who has more than one skill. Instead of hiring a bunch of people, you only need one to replicate Chinese studio parts live so it's just a better representation of the material and old Guns tunes can be enhanced, but it's very subtle plus great backing vocals.

you keep repeating the essential thing. Essential to what? to you personally getting your ideal youtube experience of a Gn'R show? probably not. But to do the kind of live show Axl is likely interested in, with all the elements that are important to him (and to some fans) yes, it is essential and it doesn't have any drawbacks imo since the main goal here is for Melissa to just give the sound a little kick.

Melissa was talking about the studio parts from the old tunes she had to replicate and program so she can reproduce it live. She is playing some synth parts that Axl came up with for NR that sound like an orchestra for some, but it's Axl doing it all using synts. So it's cool that live these parts are still being performed.

not everything that is important is essential anyway, and you can't bring Melissa out for a couple of tunes and then make her leave the stage. That won't work imo, it will feel weird.

I would agree with you if the CD band members were on stage playing all the CD songs +Absurd, The Geneneral, etc

But this is a reunion tour. And they only play few CD songs. 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Is it a reunion tour? I would agree that it is yet another tour since Slash and Duff rejoined the band. But that doesn't mean we are turning the clock back to 1992. 

Yeah it is another tour with Slash and Duff. Adler joined them a couple of times. And they called Izzy. But there was an issue of spliting the loot equally. No Backethead, no Tommy, no Ashba, no Fink :shrugs:

59 minutes ago, Frankfurt93 said:

:facepalm:

No, really...How old are you?

Don't worry, you would've missed it, just like previous few thousand times.  Some people were just not given;)

Frankfurt.... you're in a world of your own. I have no idea what to tell you beyond that 🤣

• Haha 1