09/04/21 - Napa, CA - Bottlerock Music Festival

Powerage5

On 9/5/2021 at 7:49 PM, Draguns said:

I just watched this. This is professionalism at its best! Great work by the band for still playing Paradise  City even though the sound was turned off. It was cool by the  fans to sing along.  The organizers of the festival suck!  People pay money to see GNR  and other bands. To do this to paying customers  isn't cool!   

I wonder if they even knew the sound was turned off.  I'm sure everything was still in their IEMs and they just cut off the FOH.  Maybe they could feel the bass missing from the subs at the front of the stage but they might have just thought there was a sound issue, not that it was completely off.  Or they thought it might be a glitch and come back on.  Axl certainly looked like he was singing powerfully.  If he knew there was no sound and it wasn't coming back why not just mouth the lyrics and point the mic to the crowd?

On 9/6/2021 at 2:38 AM, Padme said:

I can only speak for myself, Is it Melissa's contribution essential to the show? Isn't it enough with Dizzy? For me it is not about a person or name. If tomorrow they fire Melissa and they replace her with some John Doe I would feel the same way. GN'R didn't become an iconic band because of keyboards.  Don't get me wrong GN'R has the right to hire 10 keyboard players if they feel like it. And I have the right to be against it.

What specifically are you against though? As I stated, a lot of times, big rock bands hide effects folks behind the curtain. You're asking if what Melissa does is essential, and obviously it is because GNR have had a second person on keys for a long time. Dizzy doesn't do what Pitman did or Melissa does. 

2 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

What specifically are you against though? As I stated, a lot of times, big rock bands hide effects folks behind the curtain. You're asking if what Melissa does is essential, and obviously it is because GNR have had a second person on keys for a long time. Dizzy doesn't do what Pitman did or Melissa does. 

In what way is Melissa essential? WTTJ needs her? Don't Cry needs her? PC needs her? NR needs her?  I believe Dizzy can handle CD songs by himself just fine.  What could Melissa bring to There Was A Time or Madagascar?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Padme said:

In what way is Melissa essential? WTTJ needs her? Don't Cry needs her? PC needs her? NR needs her?  I believe Dizzy can handle CD songs by himself just fine.  What could Melissa bring to There Was A Time or Madagascar?

I asked myself the same question and those are my observations from Interviews and concerts:

Synths, Sub-Bass, Horns, Strings, guitar sounds, samples, vocal tracks 

13 minutes ago, Padme said:

7 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Synths, Sub-Bass, Horns, Strings, guitar sounds, samples, vocal tracks 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/guns-n-roses-melissa-reese-interview-1003943/

The gig meant she had to learn roughly 50 songs in granular detail so she could help replicate them on the stage. That includes keyboard parts along with countless tiny samples she had to create herself, like the flute flurries on “November Rain,” along with guitar parts she plays on the keyboard and various sub-bass frequencies. “I had to do an insane amount of shit, plus be able to sing backgrounds for Axl,” she says. “It’s stuff that would be hard to pick out, because I’m using sounds that are meant to enhance what’s already going on with Richard [Fortus] or another guitar part. It’s supposed to just sound bigger when I’m doing it, but it’s not supposed to stand out.”

and

“I think that 99 percent of the people that go see Guns want to see the top hat and Axl do his thing and Duff,” says Mantia. “They don’t get at all what she’s adding. If you take her away, the low end where she’s doubling Slash’s riff on ‘Brownstone’ wouldn’t sound the same. Axl’s voice wouldn’t sound as thick on a lot of parts. But they wouldn’t give a fuck anyway, since they’re drunk and all they want to do is see Slash do his solo and twirl.”

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/guns-n-roses-melissa-reese-interview-1003943/

The gig meant she had to learn roughly 50 songs in granular detail so she could help replicate them on the stage. That includes keyboard parts along with countless tiny samples she had to create herself, like the flute flurries on “November Rain,” along with guitar parts she plays on the keyboard and various sub-bass frequencies. “I had to do an insane amount of shit, plus be able to sing backgrounds for Axl,” she says. “It’s stuff that would be hard to pick out, because I’m using sounds that are meant to enhance what’s already going on with Richard [Fortus] or another guitar part. It’s supposed to just sound bigger when I’m doing it, but it’s not supposed to stand out.”

and

“I think that 99 percent of the people that go see Guns want to see the top hat and Axl do his thing and Duff,” says Mantia. “They don’t get at all what she’s adding. If you take her away, the low end where she’s doubling Slash’s riff on ‘Brownstone’ wouldn’t sound the same. Axl’s voice wouldn’t sound as thick on a lot of parts. But they wouldn’t give a fuck anyway, since they’re drunk and all they want to do is see Slash do his solo and twirl.”

I was not drunk during a show. Nor I only care about Slash top hat. If Axl needs help he could get Tracy and Roberta when it comes to his voice. During the UYI tour they  had Teddy also playing keyboards. He is gone. And I don't see anyone begging to get him back. Some shows from the Skin N Bones Tour were much better that what we had back in 92 and today. I never heard anyone complaning that November Rain sucks without Melissa and her flute flurries as she put it

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Padme said:

I was not drunk during a show. Nor I only care about Slash top hat. If Axl needs help he could get Tracy and Roberta when it comes to his voice. During the UYI tour they  had Teddy also playing keyboards. He is gone. And I don't see anyone begging to get him back. Some shows from the Skin N Bones Tour were much better that what we had back in 92 and today. I never heard anyone complaning that November Rain sucks without Melissa and her flute flurries as she put it

What's your problem, then? You can just ignrore her and keep your focus on Slash, Duff and Axl :shrugs:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GnR Chris said:

and

29 minutes ago, Padme said:

Here's the thing: nearly every tour out there has these type of musicians involved. They just have them hidden under or behind the stage. GN'R has always had the additional musicians out on stage when they employ them. 

• Like 2

I don't care having Melissa on stage. If she's value or not to the band is irrelevant to me compared to Axl's current voice and shape. I would have seven Melissas, Tracy, Roberta, Beta and Fernando backing up vocals and playing whatever instrument they like as long as Axl could sing at least as he did back in 2016. The lead voice is broken. He can't even complete some verses. 

Watching the PC from Napa, sad that they couldn't finish the song. It's not everyday that you can have Dave Grohl on stage. But I'm sure the band didn't know the power was off from stage. I can see Axl even singing the "Napa, thank you, good f*ckn night!" at the end. Can't find the Patience video with Pink!

I think with Melissa, she is such a non-entity on the actual stage that total hate or total adoration is baffling to me :lol:

I think the only thing I consciously was aware of when I saw them were when she added backing vocals to Chinese Democracy, which actually sounded pretty cool because it was the high part that is on the studio version.  She may not necessarily be sonically essential, but I don't think it is hurting the band having her there doing those little reinforcing additions

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I feel like people like to shit on current members because nostalgia, mainly. For some reason Tracy&Roberta are OK and should come back "if Axl needs help", but apparently Melissa shouldn't be there (even if she adds much more to the shows than just backing vocals). 

Same with the Gilby/Fortus comments. Some people don't realize it isn't 1992 anymore :lol:

I feel like you're dead on. Back in 2002 - 2006, I *never* thought I'd see the day where people spoke positively of Robin. But sure as shit, when he left, a bunch of people posted about the "good old days" with Robin in the band 😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

47 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I feel like people like to shit on current members because nostalgia, mainly. For some reason Tracy&Roberta are OK and should come back "if Axl needs help", but apparently Melissa shouldn't be there (even if she adds much more to the shows than just backing vocals). 

Same with the Gilby/Fortus comments. Some people don't realize it isn't 1992 anymore :lol:

Pretty much spot on. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Padme said:

If Axl needs help he could get Tracy and Roberta when it comes to his voice. 

So you specifically take issue with Melissa but would be OK with Tracy or Roberta? Clearly you have a weird issue with her performing with the band.

Edit: Also, you're missing the point. I simply quoted Brain. I didn't call you drunk. But his point stands that majority of people come to see Axl and Slash. You're proving that by trying to debate how "essential" other band members are to the overall experience. 

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 1

The fact that so many of you don't know what Melissa brings to the live sound is proof she is good at her job.  She is there to enhance and thicken the sound not to stand out.  GnR could choose to have someone stand off the side of the stage with a Mac book but they elect to give us a fully live experience.  Honestly I'm not sure the band has ever sounded tighter (minus Axl) and if they have it was well before Axl formed NuGuns and she is a part of that.  Like it or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

and

So does she double Slash and Axl at the same time? And what the fuck is twirl? :drevil:

I like her….How she looks, how she jumps around, the blue (or whatever color) hair, whatever she brings vocally.

So much fail…actually met her after the Nashville show…but didn’t take a pic. Only the bus lol when we first got there.

More fail…

can’t figure out how to post a pic FTL 😑😂

7 hours ago, tata said:

Watching the PC from Napa, sad that they couldn't finish the song. It's not everyday that you can have Dave Grohl on stage. 

Yeah we really wanted to go as it’s our top 2 bands (GNR and FF) and how often are you ever going to see both at the same event.

But we have 3 dogs and 5 cats and it’s just not feasible for both of us to be gone longer than a single night stay 😑

hoping since they cancelled Boneroo maybe FF will come back to Nashville.