09/11/21 - Atlantic City, NJ - Hard Rock Live at Etess Arena

Powerage5

2 hours ago, smoking guns said:

Watch 2016 Houston first. Great show 

Yeah. Anyone saying that the recent shows top many of the 2016 shows is just wrong. Axl was rasping up most songs, the tempos were faster with a lot of energy, they were playing Coma, and also guest spots from Adler at some shows. As good as some of the recent shows have been. Cincinnati and Houston were much better.

2 hours ago, Ak1nney said:

Yeah. Anyone saying that the recent shows top many of the 2016 shows is just wrong. Axl was rasping up most songs, the tempos were faster with a lot of energy, they were playing Coma, and also guest spots from Adler at some shows. As good as some of the recent shows have been. Cincinnati and Houston were much better.

Now the faster tempos are being missed :D  Complaints, complaints, complaints! ABSURD!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ak1nney said:

What if we prefer the slower tempos over the breakneck speed of some songs in 2016, think that overall the current setlist is great, are not too fond of the rasp, and think Grohl is cooler than Steven? Are we then allowed to say the current shows top 2016 or are we still "just wrong"?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

What if we prefer the slower tempos over the breakneck speed of some songs in 2016, think that overall the current setlist is great, are not too fond of the rasp, and think Grohl is cooler than Steven? Are we then allowed to say the current shows top 2016 or are we still "just wrong"?

I'm really digging the latest shows. An Adler guest appearance is better than Grohl. I'll take rasp any day over the clean vocal on tracks that originally had rasp. The current tempos are good too and honestly, Axl needs them at that speed these days. In better shape or not, his voice needs it. I won't bend on 2016 gigs topping 2021 gigs. As a fan, I just hope they keep getting better and better.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Prefer Grohl Over Adler LOL

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ak1nney said:

No, unfortunately, you're wrong.  Axl was not "rasping up" most songs.  They were playing coma, but that doesn't make the show better, that means they played Coma.  I was At Cincinnati in 2016 and I was at Indianapolis and the Indy show was a better performance by the band, especially Axl and its not even close.  Seeing Adler was great, that made the show special for sure in Cincy.   The slower tempos are infinitely better for the band's performance.  But, you can have your opinion you preferred those shows, but Axl was not "rasping up most songs", that's just not accurate at all.

Edited by tsinindy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

No, unfortunately, you're wrong.  Axl was not "rasping up" most songs.  They were playing coma, but that doesn't make the show better, that means they played Coma.  I was At Cincinnati in 2016 and I was at Indianapolis and the Indy show was a better performance by the band, especially Axl and its not even close.  Seeing Adler was great, that made the show special for sure in Cincy.   The slower tempos are infinitely better for the band's performance.  But, you can have your opinion you preferred those shows, but Axl was not "rasping up most songs", that's just not accurate at all.

Band is better than 2016, but Axl from 2016 is much better. Axl from the present can maybe be compared with Axl from 2017, but i think Axl from 2017 is still better.

I feel like right now the band itself is the best they have been all reunion... The tempos are great... I feel they also contribute to Slash kicking so much ass.. Everything is a bit more loose which is part of what always made GnR so great and why I think RQ sounds so much better these days.  Axl's voice was stronger in 2016 allowing him to nail songs like Out Ta Get me and bring songs like Live and Let Die to another level.  There are also songs like Patience and Don't Cry that sound much better now.. There was something off about those songs before this tour.. Not neccessarily with his voice but the way he delivers the verses.. The songs just sounded stale all around.. Could again have something to do with tempos.. 

I had never had a problem with the setlists adise from too many CD songs around 2017. 

Unfortunately I have some personal reasons where I can't travel at the moment or I would have traveled to see another show for sure. I still hope to at some point. ..They are from perfect and could do alot of things better but life is short and this band still delivers a kick ass show... My dream is to see them in South America someday..

• Like 4

I didn't mean to start any shit about which years are better, but I know I did haha. I just don't see how Axl is better now than 2016. I really don't see it. He has been hitting a good stride though and I've really been enjoying the performances. I like that he is finding a voice that isn't Mickey, but I do miss the powerful rasp from 2016. He did do it on a lot of the songs that needed, but yeah, not all. I mean Axl/DC... do we really need to say anything else as to proof that Axl was possibly at his peak of the reunion era (so far) in 2016? I don't doubt the band is tighter now and the tempos are good (they've had 5 years to sort that out!). I like the quicker live tempos on most of the stuff in 2016. I guess I'm in the minority. I just compared Jungle in Atlantic City to numerous versions in 2016 (cincy, chicago, dodger stadium, houston) and I just think the energy in 2016 is so badass. 

I'm not trying to knock anyone that is seeing shows this leg and enjoying the shit out of them. I've been watching the most live streams I ever have this year. And yes, I know that's not the same as seeing it live, always at least 50% better live. I would also not be surprised one bit that after this year, Axl comes back next year throwing all sorts of rasp and power at us and we all say, holy shit, who is this madman?! This band is always surprising us and I'm happy to still be along for the ride.

Edited by Ak1nney
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ak1nney said:

I would also not be surprised one bit that after this year, Axl comes back next year throwing all sorts of rasp and power at us and we all say, holy shit, who is this madman?! This band is always surprising us and I'm happy to still be along for the ride.

I think if he had the ability to do that then he already would've been doing so.

14 hours ago, Ak1nney said:

I'm really digging the latest shows. An Adler guest appearance is better than Grohl. I'll take rasp any day over the clean vocal on tracks that originally had rasp. The current tempos are good too and honestly, Axl needs them at that speed these days. In better shape or not, his voice needs it. I won't bend on 2016 gigs topping 2021 gigs. As a fan, I just hope they keep getting better and better.

Oh sorry, I get you. I probably think 2016 shows are better than today's shows, too. I haven't really compared much. I was just annoyingly reacting to any suggestion that people can't possibly prefer something you don't prefer. Any insinuations that preferences aren't subjective triggers me :lol:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Oh sorry, I get you. I probably think 2016 shows are better than today's shows, too. I haven't really compared much. I was just annoyingly reacting to any suggestion that people can't possibly prefer something you don't prefer. Any insinuations that preferences aren't subjective triggers me :lol:

You're good! I think most of us are all on the same team here. I'm still thrilled "the big 3" are still kicking ass in 2021.