09/23/21 - Columbus, OH - Schottenstein Center

Powerage5

1 hour ago, downzy said:

Well, I’m not sure how much press there will be.

But okay, let’s assume they want people to focus on the studio version and not the live version from the night before (nevemind the fact that nothing posted on youtube from concerts lasts longer than a few hours).

Then why didn’t they use the same approach with Absurd?  Because of the vocals?  Because people would have been put off if Axl didn’t nail the line “pussy full of maggots?”

I think you’re over thinking things.

It’s just really strange that with Absurd it gets a proper roll out and with Hard Skool, undoubtedly the far better song, it’s a scattered-shot approach that has little rhyme or reason to it.  There’s nothing about releasing a new single that requires it to be played live first.  But it just doesn’t make sense that Absurd gets the live treatment first while Hard Skool isn’t even acknowledged.

Hard Skool is much harder to sing. Absurd isn't even really sang, so it's an easy song for Axl to perform. I really think that's what it boils down to.

• Like 1

Hard Skool aside, I am happy to see Coma back in the setlist.  From what I caught on the streams Axl didn't sound bad on it either.  I think that if Hard Skool is added eventually and they keep swapping out for UYI deep cuts like Coma and Locmotive, with Shadow occasionally popping up - that honestly gets rid of a ton of setlist staleness for me

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

I don't think it matters they didn't play it. The shows are mostly attended by casual fans who want a beer and Sweet Child. 

From my perspective, seeing as they've only played 3 or 4 dates in my country since the reunion began I couldn't care less if they cater the shows primarily to the casuals, so long as they're putting out new music for those of us who care.

• Like 1

all I know is that I've got the studio version of HS to listen to for the rest of my life, that it's never a very good idea to try and predict what Axl will do, and that they will perform the song live eventually. Also more optimistic about the release of a new album, maybe even next year.

yeah it could have been better with HS played tonight and I guess I understand the frustration cause to play it seemed like the only option, but honestly, so what? it's funnier this way and sounds like it was a great show.

6 minutes ago, Axl_morris said:

We find ourselves in an odd scenario for GNR fans.

We are used to Axl playing new live songs but not releasing them.

Now he's releasing songs without playing them live. 

It's so strange. If they don't play it next show, days after release, I don't see them actually playing it live at all. They'll have newer songs out by the time of the EU leg 2022. I'm not really bummed about this, but it's just such odd behaviour, where else would you see something like this happen?

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Didn't happen with Absurd which wasn't out either, so there's no rhyme or reason

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

For people to hear the better - studio - version first. Lots of press will be on that. Lots of press would be on a live version, which - with current Axl's form - won't be as glorious, let's be honest. Whole different with Absurd, which is easy peasy vocal-wise when compared. I believe Baltimore will be the night. But I'm already happy as it is now. 

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

Again, I believe there are no vocal cautions to be made regarding Absurd live. Even if they made some press right after the show or put that live footage on their YT channel (not that they did any of that), it would have been quite alright – unlike with HS, which will be tricky (I’d guess Axl will alternate the chorus lines with Duff in concerts, especially near the end). Baltimore will tell us more. It would make sense to play it there. It's just a different type of beast. 

12 minutes ago, jamillos said:

You could be onto something with that, would also explain why Absurd took its place as first release, out of nowhere. We'll definitely see next show. But we've been saying they'll play it for sure for like 5 shows in a row now, I feel like the clown meme putting on makeup saying that again.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

You could be onto something with that, would also explain why Absurd took its place as first release, out of nowhere. We'll definitely see next show. But we've been saying they'll play it for sure for like 5 shows in a row now, I feel like the clown meme putting on makeup saying that again.

Yeah, I’ve also mentioned that meme here today. I think, however, that this time it could work. I mean, he has to mention the single, right? And when he does, it would be really odd not to play it. I just think it’s a bit more complicated with this song in terms of a live rendition, so maybe he’s more cautious, aware etc. Remember one of the Selects where there was barely any close-up camera on him? Something in this sense. Maybe the first impression in this case had to be as good as possible. Maybe they didn’t want to be too predictable and choose the same path as the last time. But who knows.

Guns N' Roses didn't need to play HS live prior to its release, because they opted for a different marketing strategy altogether. Where Absurd relied on a surprise live performance, followed by a few social media snippets and then a full release, Hardskool opted for a teasing social media campaign which encouraged traditional media coverage and community engagement (see: all the HS comments made by fans on GNR social media), followed by a surprise release. There is nothing scattershot about Hardskool's marketing simply because the band never played it prior to its surprise release. If they don't play it at following concerts though, then there should be reason for concern.

Shadow sounded great. Coma also was surprisingly OK as well, obs weaker than 16 but perfectly listenable.

Shame about no hardskool, but we cant claim Axl wasn't confident vocally when he busted out 2 of the hardest songs on the current rotation list. 

Just didn't feel it, but it cant be long now imo especially with the media picking up on the song now.

• Like 1