09/23/21 - Columbus, OH - Schottenstein Center

Powerage5

4 minutes ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

Common sense. The history of how much just gets swiped. (Olly Moss/Gearbox etc)

Common sense would be assuming that its produced under copyright license especially with Slash's dealings with Universal and their horror stuff. A lot gets 'swiped' as you keep putting it but a band as huge as GN'R aren't going to get away with that, your local band for a Halloween show, sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Common sense would be assuming that its produced under copyright license especially with Slash's dealings with Universal and their horror stuff. A lot gets 'swiped' as you keep putting it but a band as huge as GN'R aren't going to get away with that, your local band for a Halloween show, sure.

What has Universal or his dealings with them to do with it.

I've never heard of a poster artist getting help from the band to clear rights for a poster design. I could obviously be wrong - but I bet you he showed a sketch or and told them his idea "Springwood where Elm Street is located is in Ohio, you are playing Ohio" and then they just okeyed the final art. I doubt it's that much of an involved process. 

If a band as huge as GN'R isn't "going to get away with it" -- then how come big corporation like Disney and Gearbox have done similar things? Because in the end it's down to one person swiping or not and the people above that person being clueless. And my feeling is with google and everything at just a clicks distance - more and more stuff is just being lifted with less and less regard for swiping art.

A band as huge as Pearl Jam had a similiar thing happen (less of a direct trace). I bet you they didn't check with the artist to see if he had traced or not -- or Eddie Vedder calling up the one who held the rights to the poster to see if it was all good.

PJ-Halloween-2019.jpg

de783dab4cd124ff47aac2c0f96809c5.jpg

GIF.gif

I could be wrong ofc. But I doubt I am.

2 hours ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

That is just a straight, lazy trace of a pressphoto from The Dream Warriors. Just a cheap violation of the rights of the one owning the photo rights. Not much work involved there and swiping art should not be something Guns N' Roses support.

freddy-krueger-nightmare-elm-street.jpg

Yea other designs usually have GNR take their own spin on whatever they are basing it on, this just seems to close to the original, but regardless I wonder if GNR needs permission from all the owners they are basing their designs on