Jump to content

09/23/21 - Columbus, OH - Schottenstein Center


Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, downzy said:

Maybe you’re right.

Why that doesn’t make any sense to me is they didn’t take that approach with Absurd AND the studio version of Hard Skool was already out there (both officially and unofficially depending where in the world you live). I was listening to it yesterday morning.

Yeah, it's definitely unusual to not play your new single the day it's released. It's just the only explanation I can come up with other than he just doesn't want to sing it yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe Axl just doesn’t like the song??? He never really talked about it, never got excited about it, may not have mentioned it had it not been for the 15 second leak, it was clearly kind of a B Roll for him during the CD era. Then there’s Silkworms which he played a bunch in 2001 and expressed genuine excitement for. Who knows, maybe HS is getting treated like a B Side to Absurd. It’s really odd but I still can’t decipher any of this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jafeijo said:

The problem with HardSchool is really the middle range that Axl had in the early 2000's, in that period he would went really smooth from chest voice to head voice. Nowadays there's such a big gap between the two voices and his 'chest voice' has diminished considerably, you can check the Mexico 2020 soundcheck when Axl tried to go for it and his voice broke big time.

For him it will be definitely one of the toughest themes on the catalogue. The screaming chorus might be the easiest part, I mean, he goes fine with Shadow of Love and that's basically the same range, the problem is the verse melody.

He could probably use the vocal style he uses for the chorus of your crazy (esp the 2nd one) these days, maybe just clip into the light head voice for the highest notes of the verse. It may not quite reach the same note but itd be more comfortable and project better, then switch into the shadow voice as you say.

Given this seems to be getting much better reviews than absurd I can't imagine axl won't play it, and the band 100% are ready and want given they sound check it.

Given it was sound checked with coma yesterday and how it keeps getting sound checked suggests it's not far away now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK so I'll quickly add my two penneth in here.

I just saw a YouTube video of Madagascar and Don't Cry from this show, and maybe I'm easily impressed, but I thought Axl sounded as good as he has in a long time! Certainly compared to earlier shows on this tour, was the rest of the show up to the same standard? Glasgow Green cannot come quick enough as far as I'm concerned! :headbang: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, downzy said:

 

”Hey Axl, let’s perform our new single.”

”Can’t. Voice not up to it. Let’s do Coma instead!”

He wanted to sing himself into a Coma

Edited by Sosso
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sofine11 said:

I think the logic (assuming logic is involved somewhere) Axl wanted the first impression to be the studio version. That's really the only thing I can chalk it up to.

That's what I'm thinking too, seems to make the most sense.

2 hours ago, downzy said:

Maybe you’re right.

Why that doesn’t make any sense to me is they didn’t take that approach with Absurd AND the studio version of Hard Skool was already out there (both officially and unofficially depending where in the world you live). I was listening to it yesterday morning.

They know that only us crazy people on the forum are listening to it before it's officially out, for the general public it's not, so I can see why they would rather wait and let people hear the recording first then play it live after.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The-Jungle83 said:

OK so I'll quickly add my two penneth in here.

I just saw a YouTube video of Madagascar and Don't Cry from this show, and maybe I'm easily impressed, but I thought Axl sounded as good as he has in a long time! Certainly compared to earlier shows on this tour, was the rest of the show up to the same standard? Glasgow Green cannot come quick enough as far as I'm concerned! :headbang: 

I just hope that this time he will prepare for the 2022 tour. Hershey is proof that Axl did not prepare for this tour at all, with the preparation I believe that Axl may be able to reach the 2016 level again. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

 

They know that only us crazy people on the forum are listening to it before it's officially out, for the general public it's not, so I can see why they would rather wait and let people hear the recording first then play it live after.

1) They didn't do this with Absurd

2) If what you say is true, that only us crazy people on the forums listen, then it's not exactly obvious how playing the song in Columbus would affect casual listeners who would go online to see the live performance.

What I think doesn't help is to release a song whereby press the next day notes that it hasn't been played live yet and wasn't played the night before release.  Doesn't instil a lot of confidence.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm checking some vids from the show and damn boy, the band looks so good they are doing great and Axl sounds really goooood on Paradise city!! Last song on the set and he delivers!!! Madagascar was beautiful as always. They really have their shit together and it's a rolling machine! A joy for all the people attending

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, siraddam said:

I know it's a bit left field, but isn't colombus Ohio the place where the school shooting happened? It might not be the best taste to debut a song called Hard Skool.

Hard Skool is not about schools goddamn it people, it's a saying exactly the same way "old school" is, that one doesn't mean literal schools either:lol:

Also you're talking about a guy who wore Charles Manson shirts frequently, not exactly the best taste either

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Hard Skool is not about schools goddamn it people, it's a saying exactly the same way "old school" is, that one doesn't mean literal schools either:lol:

Also you're talking about a guy who wore Charles Manson shirts frequently, not exactly the best taste either

What does hard school means? That's something like a lesson learned the hard way?

I'm not sure :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, siraddam said:

I know it's a bit left field, but isn't colombus Ohio the place where the school shooting happened? It might not be the best taste to debut a song called Hard Skool.

Do you mean the Columbine school shooting in 1999? That was in Columbine, Colorado.

Regardless, the thought is too far-fetched, even more so since the song has nothing to do with schools :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I think it can be used pretty much as a synonym for "being cool", too hard school -> too cool for something.

Yeah it’s an odd phrase because what he is saying/meaning is more commonly referred to as “hardcore.” No idea why he instead used hard school which is not a normal term and sorta cringey but here we are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Yeah it’s an odd phrase because what he is saying/meaning is more commonly referred to as “hardcore.” No idea why he instead used hard school which is not a normal term and sorta cringey but here we are.

"Hardschool"/"hard-school" is a  very uncommon, yet existing word/phrase.

The meaning is not exactly "hardcore," it's something like a composite of "hardcore" and "old school," as in someone/something being/acting tough in an old-fashioned way. Also "hardcore" doesn't rhyme with "cool" and "fool" :lol:

Edited by Blackstar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Yeah it’s an odd phrase because what he is saying/meaning is more commonly referred to as “hardcore.” No idea why he instead used hard school which is not a normal term and sorta cringey but here we are.

Because it would be cringe if GNR came out with a song called "Hardcore"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...