09/29/21 - Raleigh, NC - PNC Arena

Powerage5

My friend went (he’s a casual) and he went back in 2016 too. Said this was impressive and incredibly glad he attended. He called the set “long” but didn’t mind hearing all the CD songs considering the set was so lengthy. Felt like he got his money worth and was glad he could bring his son this time. 

he also mentioned Witchita being a highlight of the night. He really enjoyed the cover. Was also glad to hear coma again and was surprised when I said they didn’t play it the first 1/3-1/2 of this leg. 

overall he was quite happy with everything. Made no mentions of axls voice but said he was talkative and in a good mood. 

nice to a hear a positive review 

• Like 3

Just now, Ninjapie24 said:

I hope they keep it up with variation like this. It’s much better to see some songs in different places in the set and trading out some songs. It would make each night feel different and much more like their UYI setlists

Some people will tell you it's not feasible because it's such a large production. Wonder what they're thinking now lol

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ninjapie24 said:

I hope they keep it up with variation like this. It’s much better to see some songs in different places in the set and trading out some songs. It would make each night feel different and much more like their UYI setlists

There's only two more shows (back to back at the same venue) so variety is kinda pointless now.  If I get this same setlist when I go (the last show) I'll be happy.  Speaking of UYI setlists, I went back and looked at the setlist from my first ever GNR show 12/31/91:

Welcome to the Jungle
Mr. Brownstone
Live and Let Die
(Wings cover)
Attitude
(Misfits cover)
Nightrain
Bad Obsession
Double Talkin' Jive
Civil War
It's So Easy
Patience
(Wild Horses (Intro))
Rocket Queen
November Rain
You Could Be Mine
Matt Sorum Drum Solo
Slash Guitar Solo
Speak Softly Love (Love Theme From The Godfather)
(Nino Rota cover) (Godfather Theme)
Sweet Child o' Mine
(with Sail Away Sweet Sister… more )
Don't Cry
Move to the City
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
(Bob Dylan cover) (with intro of Only Women Bleed)
Estranged
Paradise City

22 "songs" with one being the boring Drum Solo and two Slash Solos.  This latest setlist is 30 songs with only one being a solo.  3 of the additional 8 songs are covers (1991 had KHOD and LALD).  So the recent shows have 5 more GNR songs than the 1991 show I attended.  I didn't get PTU back then either.  I wouldn't mind Bad Obsession currently to replace something because I think Axl would sing it well.  Hard Skool is probably on par with Move to the City. 

I'd fall over if Axl did the Sail Away/Bad Time intro to SCOM.  Maybe I'll bring a sign to the show and request it? :)  I think he could pull off the Sail Away part, the Bad Time part probably wouldn't work too well.

Edited by Gnrcane
  • Like 1

100% best GNR show I’ve been to since the reunion.

Axl was in a GREAT mood all night, joking about the new Bond movie before LALD and at quite a few other points of the show. It was pretty funny when he introduced Duff and Fortus early and then joked about it when he did it again. It was also awesome to get the anecdote about Izzy with YCBM. 

Vocals were the best last night that I’ve heard between ‘17, ‘19 and last night. Even my wife who isn’t a fan told me she thought his WTTJ vox were “better than the original” (massive overstatement, but crazy she thought so).

I don’t usually have complaints about Frank, but he was way off at the end of Hard Skool and had Axl fucked up. Axl also joked about that at the end of the song. The rest of the band was insanely tight; if God played guitar it would sound like it does when Slash plays. The solo before SCOM was awesome. 

You’re Crazy was surprisingly good with some screams and same with LALD. Better was for sure the weakest point, but still not awful. It was a really good night for Chinese Democracy fans.

Overall, this was a great show. ‘87-‘93 Axl is now 40 years older, so you won’t ever get that again. But if you’re looking for a really fun rock show, spend the money.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, MattyIce3924 said:

100% best GNR show I’ve been to since the reunion.

Axl was in a GREAT mood all night, joking about the new Bond movie before LALD and at quite a few other points of the show. It was pretty funny when he introduced Duff and Fortus early and then joked about it when he did it again. It was also awesome to get the anecdote about Izzy with YCBM. 

Vocals were the best last night that I’ve heard between ‘17, ‘19 and last night. Even my wife who isn’t a fan told me she thought his WTTJ vox were “better than the original” (massive overstatement, but crazy she thought so).

I don’t usually have complaints about Frank, but he was way off at the end of Hard Skool and had Axl fucked up. Axl also joked about that at the end of the song. The rest of the band was insanely tight; if God played guitar it would sound like it does when Slash plays. The solo before SCOM was awesome. 

You’re Crazy was surprisingly good with some screams and same with LALD. Better was for sure the weakest point, but still not awful. It was a really good night for Chinese Democracy fans.

Overall, this was a great show. ‘87-‘93 Axl is now 40 years older, so you won’t ever get that again. But if you’re looking for a really fun rock show, spend the money.

Yeah I would spend always My money if Axl and Slash play in Argentina (there's where i live)

2 hours ago, Coma16 said:

Absurd and HS are not CD songs. Let's stop that narrative right now...

Maybe not CD songs because they weren't on the album but close enough.. Absurd may have not been released on CD but it was played live by NuGnR.. Was written by NuGnR.. Sounds like NuGnR.. I am sure there are leaks of demos out  there.. Just because Slash pasted a guitar track over it doesn't make it any less of a CD song than him playing This I love live does..  I don't see any difference between them playing Absurd than Better or any of those other songs..

4 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Maybe not CD songs because they weren't on the album but close enough.. Absurd may have not been released on CD but it was played live by NuGnR.. Was written by NuGnR.. Sounds like NuGnR.. I am sure there are leaks of demos out  there.. Just because Slash pasted a guitar track over it doesn't make it any less of a CD song than him playing This I love live does..  I don't see any difference between them playing Absurd than Better or any of those other songs..

Absurd was completely redone (Dave for vocals) and released commercially this leg. Apples and oranges to compare it against it against songs that were released in 2008. Do you consider Shadow on the same ground as SCOM? It's far from an AFD track lol

Band proceeds into playing Don't Cry. Tom-Ass "another Afd song?!"

Edited by Coma16

10 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Absurd was completely redone (Dave for vocals) and released commercially this leg. Apples and oranges to compare it against it against songs that were released in 2008. Do you consider Shadow on the same ground as SCOM? It's far from an AFD track lol

You obviously do not know the definition of completely. The vocals weren't redone.. the drums weren't redone.. The annoying scream overdubs weren't redone.. That awful psychedelic industrial part probably wasn't either.. Even if they did "re-do" the song, it doesn't make it any less of a NuGnR song.. 

17 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

As far as i'm concerned, if the song is good, then who gives a shit? 

Then there is no place around here for you my friend!!!! 🤣 All discussions should focus on when Axl recorded his vocals, whether or not Buckethead and Robin's contributions will remain despite having not been in the band for 15 to 20 years, whether Brain or Josh Freese is the better drummer and who wrote the drum parts, and finally will the new album be anything from a double to a quintuple affair. Objectivity is overrated. You've been warned! Hahaha! 😍🤣😝😁

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, agustingloger said:

This. I went to 4 shows of the reunion so i heard Slash n Duff takes on the regular Chinese's songs. I like Chinese though so i don't mind a few of them on the setlist and not just that, Chinese should be played every show but with 3/4 songs is enough. I wasn't Even born in 1992 so there are a lot of songs of that era that i've never heard live and i'm afraid i won't either. Dead Horse (maybe this one i Will )/ Pretty tied up / Bad Obsession / The garden / You ain't the first/ Nice boys . But being fair they changed the setlist enough through this years and there aren't many songs left to play. I would like to hear IRS from this line up too. And maybe is an unpopular opinion but i really like TSI and they never played that shit. Why play Wichita Linesman or The seeker (for 10 years now) instead of Black Leather/Down on the farm. 

All things considered I’m in the same boat born 1983 but think about where we were in 2010. No Estranged, no Don’t Cry. Certainly no Coma or Locomotive. I can go without ever seeing UYi fillers like Pretty tied up and Bad Obsession played. I think we’ll live

13 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Slash said it on some interview, that Axl showed up to soundcheck one day and he wanted to do Slither.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/slash-talks-playing-chinese-democracy-song-better-velvet-revolvers-slither-with-guns-n-roses/

For real, the “dictator Axl” comments are as old as the “late Axl” comments.

And it’s a beautiful thing that Axl recognizes the greatness  of Scott Weiland. To honor him on the anniversary of his death was a really special moment

Edited by Top-Hatted One