10/03/21 - Hollywood, FL - Hard Rock Live Arena

Powerage5

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I keep my expectations right in the middle. 

In nearly every thread I see people saying Axl sounds AMAZING 

Yeah, honestly that hyperbole may be what really gets me. I watch a few clips because people state “this HS was F’ing awesome. Axl killed it!!” or “Axl kicked serious ass on PC tonight!!” and then after the clips I’m left wondering what the hell is going on as the performance is passable in a live setting at best. Shrugs shoulders emoji. 

Edited by Martin Riggs
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Oh I agree they should. The problem is many then try to pretend or delude themselves into thinking what they’re hearing is actually good on the merits. Not just good compared to their current expectations which are essentially in the toilet when in comparison to quality singing. 

So someone likes something you don't, how is that a problem? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Yeah, honestly that hyperbole may be what really gets me. I watch a few clips because people state “this HS was F’ing awesome. Axl killed it!!” or “Axl kicked serious ass on PC tonight!!” and then after the clips I’m left wondering what the hell is going on as the performance is passable in a live setting at best. Shrugs shoulders emoji. 

I don't mean this as an insult to anyone but I think some folks just get over excited. In the moment, they're watching the show (even on streaming) and they're having a good time, so they proclaim it to be the best ever. 

@ZoSoRosewill tell you this but I've walked after so many GN'R shows and told him it was the greatest concert in the history of ever. When in reality, it was probably just a pretty good show lol.

In any case, that's my guess as to why it happens. I'm sure there are other factors at play here and there but overall I think it's that some people just get a little over excited in the moment. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, RochelleRochelle said:

I still want to know what prompted the USA! chant before "I wanna be your dog"  seemed like an inside joke. Would love to know the origin.

6 hours ago, Underhardy said:

I was on the rail. Just seemed like Axl heard a fan call something out in between songs maybe a song request and he responded with that chant instead 

Something was delaying Duff from being ready for IWBYD so Axl just started that to kill time before introducing him. He said "I don't know what's going on back there" or something like that first. Then after said something about an ad lib. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, We love Axl Rose said:

Nightrain from this show :headbang:

https://streamable.com/2zy1h8

It's been a while since I kept up with recent GNR shows, but are they done with playing songs at a bazillion BPM? This is a breath of fresh air compared to how fast they were playing before.

Also, I second that Fortus should stick to Chinese material. What was that first solo, woof...Leave the bluesy Appetite stuff to Slash and give him the shreddy Chinese stuff. And, yes, Axl sounded great here. 

Edited by pugachev
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, pugachev said:

It's been a while since I kept up with recent GNR shows, but are they done with playing songs at a bazillion BPM? This is a breath of fresh air compared to how fast they were playing before.

Also, I second that Fortus should stick to Chinese material. What was that first solo, woof...Leave the bluesy Appetite stuff to Slash and give him the shreddy Chinese stuff. And, yes, Axl sounded great here. 

I would add, leave every chinese lead to fortus! Please! 

12 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

Not just good compared to their current expectations which are essentially in the toilet when in comparison to quality singing. 

I tend to compare Axl's singing to other singers out there. There is almost nobody who can sing like Axl did in his prime. So I'm not gonna call Axl a bad singer just cause his voice isn't the same as it was in his prime. Otherwise I would have to call 99% of all singers terrible.

I don't personally think that Axl sounds too great on Hard Skool live, but then again almost nobody could sing that song properly live. His performance is fine considering his age.

But Axl does still sound great on many songs. Especially on songs that require normal singing voice, like Witchita Lineman and The Seeker. 95% of all singers only use their normal singing voice ever. But I do think that Axl sounds amazing on many trickier songs as well, like Nightrain, Chinese Democracy and even Shadow of Your Love for example. 

What Axl did in his prime was inhuman. What he's doing now is either ok, good or amazing depending on the song he's singing.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, darkside259 said:

i feel trigered 

You can't blame them.

Last thing you heard with Slash and Duff - Illusions.

30 years later first thing you hear with Slash and Duff - Hardskool and Absurd.

They seriously should rethink retiering before going further downhill with GNR moniker

• Confused 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

10 hours ago, pugachev said:

Hahaha i was joking about Richard! Slash gets slammed here because what he does on Chinese's songs and i was joking the other way around 😝

1 hour ago, Frankfurt93 said:

You can't blame them.

Last thing you heard with Slash and Duff - Illusions.

30 years later first thing you hear with Slash and Duff - Hardskool and Absurd.

They seriously should rethink retiering before going further downhill with GNR moniker

Aaaa that train was long way gone ! Songs like Scraped / Shakler's / If the world were released under GNR moniker

3 hours ago, Frankfurt93 said:

Should've done that in 2011-14. Now we got Slash as the DJ replacement, so at least the band sounds and feels like Guns, again.