NITL Selects.. Why are the mixes so bad?

Why? Why are they so bad? And they are objectively bad. I feel like this was a missed layup by everyone involved. They systematically destroyed any footage of the NITL tour on YouTube and replaced it with this. Ok fine, no matter how ignorant of a move that may have been, that was their strategy. But to replace it with this? These mixes are not even close to broadcast quality. What is going on here? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Are the mixes really that bad? Some of them have been ropey, sure, but some have sounded pretty good to my ears......

They are substandard, to say the least; not to mention the individual selection (Axl's form...). And compared with the quality and quantity of other bands, and considering this is the only thing they've come up with in all the years... yeah, it sucks big time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Are the mixes really that bad? Some of them have been ropey, sure, but some have sounded pretty good to my ears......

The mixes sound like what you get when you get a very basic level before you do the actual mix. There's really no need for them to be as ropey, these are digital multitracks. The benefit of digital multitracks is the ability to record easily and easily mix them at a later date. 

The selects were basically raw audio, I'm guessing they took the stereo feed and just added it to the video. It's really amateur sounding stuff. Like they have people in the band that can mix that they could have sent the tracks to. Really no excuse for the lack of effort.

Biggest issue is the performance quality, but the mixes most of the time either lacked bass or had way too much, other times Slash was turned down way too low, drums too low in the mix, Axl being too low in the mix. I mean these are fixes you make in 20 minutes. Thing is, if they had sent those tracks to someone to mix, they probably would have wound up not being released because the band would have heard them and stopped them in their tracks. That's assuming the band didn't hear them.

I commend them for putting out content, but how they did it kinda overshadows any of the good. They certainly haven't gained new fans from those videos.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Not all of them but many of them fucking brutal. The mix made the last one unlistenable. Locomotive was probably the sickest joke of them all.  For a lineup that doesn't sound that great to begin with, you would think they would try and make up for some of that with the mix.  

• Like 4

They probably didn’t want to pay anyone to mix them. Whether it’s because these vids won’t generate enough ad revenue to pay for it, or to keep things under the radar and not need to get approvals from the 3 of them  once $ is involved 

• Like 1

I think theses videos were never meant to be released, they probably keep them for their records or in case anything happens. The audio we get is just "all levels up", I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have a multitrack version where they can really do a proper mix. 

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Not all of them but many of them fucking brutal. The mix made the last one unlistenable. Locomotive was probably the sickest joke of them all.  For a lineup that doesn't sound that great to begin with, you would think they would try and make up for some of that with the mix.  

I remember how excited I was to see what appeared to be a pro shot Locomotive on their Instagram page.

And then I listened to it... It sounded worse than the version already on youtube recorded with someone's phone.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

They probably didn’t want to pay anyone to mix them. Whether it’s because these vids won’t generate enough ad revenue to pay for it, or to keep things under the radar and not need to get approvals from the 3 of them  once $ is involved 

Exactly, some people are so poor all they have is $$$.

43 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Well, that's shot me down! haha! 

I think maybe I'm SO used to any GNR live stuff being bootlegs I'm probably giving them a pass-out on the mixes! 

Yeah, look these are fine. But they don't fulfil the intended purpose of making you want to see the band live, I think a better mix with some crowd noise would have helped greatly! There was better quality audio from the people recording from the crowd in some cases!😄 The Fran channel did a much better job at promoting the band... not to open that can of worms up on this thread.

The Brasilia selects sounded pretty good to me. But i think it’s the only one that has multi channels and you Can heat slash on the right one and fortus on the left one. And the drums are well mixed too. I thought they were going to mix them that way since the Brasilia one but the last one only had the Curitiba show correctly mixed. It’s a shame you can barely hear the crowd on the River plate show. If you make a selects from Argentina and you don’t put the crowd lowd in the mix, you wasted an Argentina show

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, alangarcianr said:

The Brasilia selects sounded pretty good to me. But i think it’s the only one that has multi channels and you Can heat slash on the right one and fortus on the left one. And the drums are well mixed too. I thought they were going to mix them that way since the Brasilia one but the last one only had the Curitiba show correctly mixed. It’s a shame you can barely hear the crowd on the River plate show. If you make a selects from Argentina and you don’t put the crowd lowd in the mix, you wasted an Argentina show

the last one sounder really good to me, but the others omg

7 hours ago, allwaystired said:

7 hours ago, jamillos said:

They are substandard, to say the least; not to mention the individual selection (Axl's form...). And compared with the quality and quantity of other bands, and considering this is the only thing they've come up with in all the years... yeah, it sucks big time. 

These are some of the worst mixes I've heard for a pro shot released live video. Most of the ones that come out from the European festivals etc sound way better than this. 

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

The mixes sound like what you get when you get a very basic level before you do the actual mix. There's really no need for them to be as ropey, these are digital multitracks. The benefit of digital multitracks is the ability to record easily and easily mix them at a later date. 

The selects were basically raw audio, I'm guessing they took the stereo feed and just added it to the video. It's really amateur sounding stuff. Like they have people in the band that can mix that they could have sent the tracks to. Really no excuse for the lack of effort.

Biggest issue is the performance quality, but the mixes most of the time either lacked bass or had way too much, other times Slash was turned down way too low, drums too low in the mix, Axl being too low in the mix. I mean these are fixes you make in 20 minutes. Thing is, if they had sent those tracks to someone to mix, they probably would have wound up not being released because the band would have heard them and stopped them in their tracks. That's assuming the band didn't hear them.

I commend them for putting out content, but how they did it kinda overshadows any of the good. They certainly haven't gained new fans from those videos.

Yeah it sounds like it's just the board mix. They could've sent it to Caram or hire someone else to do it, there's loads of people in LA who would love the chance to mix these.

Compare those Selects to this:

This is a live recording; there's many others that I can think of but this is a good example. Way better than any of the Selects mixes.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, alangarcianr said:

The Brasilia was a step in the right direction and made me actually look forward to this last one.. What a letdown... I mean a pro shot with Adler and I will never watch it again.. I would rather pull up videos of the Cincinnati performance. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Rough. I think you're right on the money about them using the stereo feed. Which is fine when one needs reference audio while working on the picture. But it takes a Fernando to release the damn thing as such... repeatedly.

Considering how much money the tours rake in, the general penny-pinching with the recordings (3 cams in total for a stadium show?), coupled with the draconian YT policy, really leaves them exposed. Maybe they just don't understand modern technology (or the internet) all that much.

GNR, ever failing upwards.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, denin said:

Rough. I think you're right on the money about them using the stereo feed. Which is fine when one needs reference audio while working on the picture. But it takes a Fernando to release the damn thing as such... repeatedly.

Considering how much money the tours rake in, the general penny-pinching with the recordings (3 cams in total for a stadium show?), coupled with the draconian YT policy, really leaves them exposed. Maybe they just don't understand modern technology (or the internet) all that much.

GNR, ever failing upwards.

It's like the skit in movies, "Left: run to safety Right: Imminent danger" GnR always go right😄