Vocal change from the spaghetti incident to sympathy for the devil?

Sorry guys, I know Axl’s vocals have been discussed widely for years, but I don’t remember this specific change being covered. I was just listening to sympathy for the devil and it sounds to me like Axl’s vocals changed from the last recordings on TSI. Not major, but it sounds like the rasp isn’t quite there when he goes for it. It’s a cleaner sound. To me it sounds closer the SCOM 99’ voice. Anyone agree or is it just me? TSI was recorded 92-93 and SFTD was recorded in October of 94’

Come together with Bruce Springsteen was in January of 94’  and as much as I like the performance, it seems like during a few of the screams, it just wasn’t there. 

Same with Dead Flowers on Gilby's album. Anxious Disease in '96 was basically a preview of the CD voice. His voice had obviously been worn down by the end of the UYI tour and I think the cleaner 2001 style voice was inevitable.

Was Since I Don't Have You the last song they recorded? It was recorded mid-tour so his voice was 'in shape' compared to Sympathy, Dead Flowers and Anxious Disease. I think the Come Together performance was done on short notice, no rehearsal or anything and he just went up and did it, so he sounds fine in that context.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Same with Dead Flowers on Gilby's album. Anxious Disease in '96 was basically a preview of the CD voice. His voice had obviously been worn down by the end of the UYI tour and I think the cleaner 2001 style voice was inevitable.

Was Since I Don't Have You the last song they recorded? It was recorded mid-tour so his voice was 'in shape' compared to Sympathy, Dead Flowers and Anxious Disease. I think the Come Together performance was done on short notice, no rehearsal or anything and he just went up and did it, so he sounds fine in that context.

I’m not sure if since I don’t have you was recorded last or not, but that does make sense. 

I started a similar thread a few months ago. It would've been very interesting to hear what Axl sounded like had he done any touring in the mid-late 90s. Same decade but his voice would've been real different.

1 minute ago, mystery said:

I started a similar thread a few months ago. It would've been very interesting to hear what Axl sounded like had he done any touring in the mid-late 90s. Same decade but his voice would've been real different.

Yeah it would’ve been cool to hear that. The scom 99’ version sounds cool, but just different than what we were used to. But by 01’ it changed again. Very fascinating. I’d love to hear the rumored AFD99’ album to hear why songs like out ta get me would sound like

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

50 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

Yeah it would’ve been cool to hear that. The scom 99’ version sounds cool, but just different than what we were used to. But by 01’ it changed again. Very fascinating. I’d love to hear the rumored AFD99’ album to hear why songs like out ta get me would sound like

His voice has changed through pretty much every era, even from the early days. It seems like such a unique but taxing way to sing that was never going to hold up for 30 plus years. By the end of the Use Your Illusion tours his voice was pretty strained. Also wasn't a lot of the TSI recorded in 92? 2 years would be a big difference.

3 hours ago, mystery said:

His voice has changed through pretty much every era, even from the early days. It seems like such a unique but taxing way to sing that was never going to hold up for 30 plus years. By the end of the Use Your Illusion tours his voice was pretty strained. Also wasn't a lot of the TSI recorded in 92? 2 years would be a big difference.

Yeah a lot of it was recorded in 92. The UYI tour lasted until July of 93, so plenty of wear and tear. I still hear the biggest difference between TSI and SFTD

5 hours ago, mystery said:

I’d guess that due to the lives they led etc they never gave any thoughts to ‘the future’. They likely reckoned AFD would shift a few copies (🤣) and maybe do OK to get a few new albums and earn some money. Whilst staying out of jail and alive! No doubt Axl never considered singing in that style well into his fifties!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I’d guess that due to the lives they led etc they never gave any thoughts to ‘the future’. They likely reckoned AFD would shift a few copies (🤣) and maybe do OK to get a few new albums and earn some money. Whilst staying out of jail and alive! No doubt Axl never considered singing in that style well into his fifties!

I think that's a thing with a lot of rock bands with vocalists that really go all out. I bet Rob Halford wishes at times he didn't push his vocals so hard on the Painkiller album. James Hetfield changed his singing noticeably once 93 hit on the Black Album tour. I think Axl himself said he went a bit too far recording vocals for You Could Be Mine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mystery said:

I think that's a thing with a lot of rock bands with vocalists that really go all out. I bet Rob Halford wishes at times he didn't push his vocals so hard on the Painkiller album. James Hetfield changed his singing noticeably once 93 hit on the Black Album tour. I think Axl himself said he went a bit too far recording vocals for You Could Be Mine.

Yeah, i think Axl said that YCBM is harsh sing live.

• GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, mystery said:

Funnily enough, after some struggles in the late 2000’s his vocals from 2016 onwards have been excellent. Seems to have settled on some approach that works.

49 minutes ago, Ratam said:

Yeah, i think Axl said that YCBM is harsh sing live.

I think I’m right in saying that Axl recorded his vocals line-by-line on AFD and with YCBM apparently originating from then it stands to reason that it’s easy to do line by line but when doing it all in a live setting….you are gonna struggle. I think even now he does OK to not collapse….could probably help him by slowing it down a tad to let him breath a bit.

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 1

It’s all about how the song was recorded specifically for the record. Hence the reason why many singers sounds different live. It’s nearly impossible for a singer to recreate live, song for song, the exact style it was sung on the album. 

Check out vocal coach Ken Tamplin on YouTube, specifically his videos where he dissects isolated vocal tracks. Really an eye opener. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

It’s all about how the song was recorded specifically for the record. Hence the reason why many singers sounds different live. It’s nearly impossible for a singer to recreate live, song for song, the exact style it was sung on the album. 

Check out vocal coach Ken Tamplin on YouTube, specifically his videos where he dissects isolated vocal tracks. Really an eye opener. 

Just watched the Dr. Feelgood episode. I remember trying to sing along to this when I was 15 and getting winded. At the time I had no idea about line by line vocal recording. I just thought guys like him and Axl and Sebastian Bach were superhuman or something 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Sammy Hagar disagrees lol. Not a huge Sam fan, but I give the guy a lot of credit, he still sounds great in his 70’s 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

This is probably why Don't Damn Me & Shotgun Blues were never performed live and why other songs like Perfect Crime, Bad Apples,  Right Next Door to Hell, & Garden of Eden were rarely sung live.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mystery said:

This is probably why Don't Damn Me & Shotgun Blues were never performed live and why other songs like Perfect Crime, Bad Apples,  Right Next Door to Hell, & Garden of Eden were rarely sung live.

I've brought this up previously. Slash explained in the early 90s why GNR would never perform Don't Damn Me live. It's due to how the lyrics are structured and not giving Axl enough time to breathe. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Funnily enough, after some struggles in the late 2000’s his vocals from 2016 onwards have been excellent. Seems to have settled on some approach that works.

I think I’m right in saying that Axl recorded his vocals line-by-line on AFD and with YCBM apparently originating from then it stands to reason that it’s easy to do line by line but when doing it all in a live setting….you are gonna struggle. I think even now he does OK to not collapse….could probably help him by slowing it down a tad to let him breath a bit.

Does he do different phrasing now for YCBM live? Or is it because he doesn't use nearly as much, if any rasp these days? I feel like he can sing a lot of the  catalog if he doesn't use any rasp but the result sounds a lot worse. Similar to James Hetfield post 93. A lot of classic Metallica songs sound completely neutered with clean vocals.

9 hours ago, mystery said:

Does he do different phrasing now for YCBM live? Or is it because he doesn't use nearly as much, if any rasp these days? I feel like he can sing a lot of the  catalog if he doesn't use any rasp but the result sounds a lot worse. Similar to James Hetfield post 93. A lot of classic Metallica songs sound completely neutered with clean vocals.

Dunno - interestingly just before Covid hit MetallicA were on fire with Hetfield in particular. This coincided with his apparent falling off the wagon! Maybe a case of going full tilt as he was in a ‘fuck it’ state of mind and not using the techniques gained to prolong his voice while reducing the aggression?

On 7/20/2021 at 10:11 PM, DTJ80 said:

Is there a source for the line-by-line thing? I've seen it mentioned a few times on here, but I haven't come across any sources confirming it. Or at least I don't remember coming across any source for it other than Steven Adler, but Steven wasn't there when the vocals were recorded. There was a recent interview with the studio engineer for AFD and didn't say anything about line-by-line. Neither has Mike Clink or anyone else as far as I know.

Edited by Blackstar

3 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Why's that?

He never seems happy with inears always tweaking the levels gets mad adjusting them etc. Iam sure Micky is a style/ technique to save his voice but sounds much worse out of pitch and time due to in ear monitors causing a slight delay and with respect to the hard of hearing makes him sound like hes deaf on occasion. Try blocking your own ears and talk/sing.

My man Liam Gallagher from Oasis sang with them in 2009 when they broke up terrible year for his vocals we call that his kermit the frog phase. 100% improvement since ditching them. Helped to feel more present in the moment just a thought

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Is there a source for the line-by-line thing? I've seen it mentioned a few times on here, but I haven't come across any sources confirming it. Or at least I don't remember coming across any source for it other than Steven Adler, but Steven wasn't there when the vocals were recorded. There was a recent interview with the studio engineer for AFD and didn't say anything about line-by-line. Neither has Mike Clink or anyone else as far as I know.

I don’t recall the source however I’d been under that impression for many years!

I think Mike Clink is due to be interviewed by Marc Canter for the podcast so we might get some clarification through that? 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1