Happy b’day to Appetite For Destruction

AFD was released to no fanfare whatsoever. WTTJ came out on MTV and gathered some attention. It wasn't until the summer of 1988 the band exploded with the release of SCOM. It just seemed to be the right time for Rock N' Roll, Heavy Metal and Glam Rock. The rest is history. One of the best Rock albums ever.

Edited by 31illusions
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sosso said:

The greatest debut album from the 80s for sure

In the rock genre, definitely. There's a lot of 80s debut albums outside of the rock genre that I'd put up against AFD for best overall 80s debut album. 

26 minutes ago, Towelie said:

You obviously haven't heard this:

510hw-xiEsL.jpg

That's why I said "ONE OF". You can't just go around saying anything BUT a DJ Ashba album is the best. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Original said:

Was a total game changer.  July 21, 1987. Happy Birthday!!!   I know what I’m cranking today.  

You know it! Still love listening to this album.  Broke through all the "hair bands" and brought back the dirty rock and roll! 

We fans are grateful to GNR for this album. One of the all time best, if not the best rock albums of all time.

Changed the course of rock music in the late 80's.

42 minutes ago, Towelie said:

You obviously haven't heard this:

510hw-xiEsL.jpg

lol

But ain't he pretty?

50 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I love it and everything about it. There's truth in it. It's genuine. No fake shit, no trends or calculation. Old school indeed. 

I totally agree. Every song is a winner to me. I love them all! Even the songs that are never played live. Still rock!

• Like 1

Only song that is a tier down from the rest is Anything Goes, but even that song isn’t necessarily bad. Same goes for You’re Crazy. If they replaced those two with Move to the City, and Shadow of Your Love, it’d be solid album start to finish.

On my Apple music, I recently put a general ban on explicit content, as I have a three year old who doesn't need to hear all the language in that album. But My Michelle and Rocket Queen made it past the filter, with all the family values. :lol:

I can leave or take GN'R these days, I've had my fill. But AFD led me to this forum, where I've met some really wonderful people who have changed my life for the better. 

• Haha 1

If I'd been in the studio, the only thing I would have told them to change would be the choruses on Michelle and Anything Goes, they are both great songs on the greatest albums but those choruses are verging on, I dunno, jock rock or cheesy Crue type stuff. But obviously they would have just called me a fuckhead or whatever and fired me.

1 hour ago, Ixtlan said:

What other albums would be part of that debate?

There's a lot of incredibly good debut albums throughout the history of rock. Not worth derailing a GN'R topic for, but we could discuss it in the My World section some time. 

• Like 1