Why GN’R never appeared on MTV Unplugged

MTV Uplugged aired regularly from 1989 to 1999 including artists like Kiss, Alice In Chains, Neil Young, even Poison…

I don’t get it why didn’t Guns N’ Roses take part of this as they were on MTV all the time. Has Axl or Slash ever talk about it publicly?

Slash had mentioned in 1995 that Axl wanted to do MTV Unplugged (but Slash didn't want to?):

Slash: [...] We do what we do the best that anybody does. Let's just go out and do a club tour, a theatre tour, and fucking get back down to where we have some validity with an audience that we can relate to. But Axl was all fucking.. he wants to be on MTV, he wants to do Unplugged, he wants to be this, he wants to be that. So we didn't see eye to eye, and that's where a lot of that bullshit got started, and of course it was blown out of all proportion in the press [Metal Hammer, November 1995]

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ruttu69 said:

MTV Uplugged aired regularly from 1989 to 1999 including artists like Kiss, Alice In Chains, Neil Young, even Poison…

I don’t get it why didn’t Guns N’ Roses take part of this as they were on MTV all the time. Has Axl or Slash ever talk about it publicly?

Would have been amazing in their prime.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

Didn’t new gnr do some acoustic gig like 10 years ago? 

They did. I think it was s surprise too to those who were there. If so, imagine that! 

9 hours ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

Obviously that doesn't count

Axl sounded way better back then. Any other perceived negative difference is nostalgic. 

8 hours ago, Tadsy said:

See this is the problem right here, one of them wants to do something, the other one doesn’t and there’s no compromise. 
would it have killed slash to do it? What’s it cost him? 3 hours of his life!!!! 
so many missed opportunities. This example is exactly why the pair of them pissed 30 years of prime career time down the toilet. Both of them are dumb fucks. 🤦‍♂️

Axl and Slash are not stupid. at the time, Slash was probably resentful and fed up with Axl on some level. they both experienced great success so it probably meant each of them thought they knew best. When someone else pisses you off, do you go out of your way to do something you're not that into in the first place? I think Slash wanted to go back to the same mode the band was when they started out/scale back before all the shit around the music started. Maybe MTV represented that to him at the time, just more lame shit, who knows. Point is my best guess is that he wasn't going to compromise with Axl on a lot of shit at the time cause it doesn't seem like he felt Axl tried to meet him half way.

and Slash's career was just fine after he left Guns. Artistically, at the very least he never matched the greatness of Gn'R imho, but there was no indication he was particularly interested in doing so. Not if it meant doing shit that was out of his wheel house. (like laboring over a set of tunes in the studio for example)

Unplugged back in the early '90s would have been stellar. I always view it as a missed opportunity. 

"Used to Love Her" and "You're Crazy" from The Late Show in 1988 were excellent.

Rose Bar and L'Arc were so cool too.

Basically, anything from GNR with new arrangements would be fantastic. Imagine a six-song set of Axl sitting at the piano and singing "Catcher in the Rye" and "Perfect Crime." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ©GnrPersia said:

They did already. And it has a combo song in the set made of Welcome To The Jungle & You're Crazy.

gnr-bridge.jpg

What the hell has that do with MTV Unplugged? :wacko: Yes they have played songs acoustic over the years, that was not the point.

7 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

That was a sarcasm. Btw unpluggeds are acoustic so there's a point.

maybe the special thing about the better MTV unpluggs was that the vibe was different and it was a full show. The venue and the fact that it's filmed and broadcasted all those things could have influenced the show and could have even made it unique. It happened to other bands that did it well. I think it could have worked with maybe giving Slash the ability to play an electric where it's suitable. Could have been different enough from just the acoustic live sections from the past and the semi acoustic/acoustic shows to make it a cool idea that was worth trying.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rovim said:

maybe the special thing about the better MTV unpluggs was that the vibe was different and it was a full show. The venue and the fact that it's filmed and broadcasted all those things could have influenced the show and could have even made it unique. It happened to other bands that did it well. I think it could have worked with maybe giving Slash the ability to play an electric where it's suitable. Could have been different enough from just the acoustic live sections from the past and the semi acoustic/acoustic shows to make it a cool idea that was worth trying.

Oh absolutely sir. You know GNR is a band of lost opporunities. They could do unplugged, S&G (like S&M), release Snakepit albums as GNR & many more...