Final day of rehearsals

⁸I just dont get the anger and the attitude that todays show is gonna be a letdown. Yes the setlist is similar, but its like that with almost every GNR-sized bands. Maybe they want to make a scheme for their shows like Stones who usually finish with Satisfaction, or Metallica with Sandman.

Gnr setlist must consist all the big hits, and tbh the NTITL setlist is really strong in its first half, after that it becomes to slow. We still dont know what they are gonna play and in which order we just saw the first half of the setlist. We can assume that they will play new songs (we have proof of Hardschool, heard some news about other new songs being rehearsed), and some long not played songs from their catalogue. For me rearranging some parts of the setlist (so that the second part is not such a drag) and adding some long not played songs + some now music is absolutely fine and it should make for a great show. And we know that they rehearsed some rarely played songs like PTU, Catcher, Prostitute, TAY. All in all dont be so negative. Even if they dont change the show on a massive scale we will still get great concert, with hopefully decent sounding Axl.

Still fuck Black Hole Sun - retire that shit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

May I ask what you actually expected? 

The band is using a true and trusted setlist but has added a deep cut and a new song. I think it is great. 

What I expected and what I hoped are two very different things! I can't help being disappointed, even though I did expect this. 

But, you know, if people want to see the same band play pretty much the same set over and over.....I say go for it. Depresses the hell out of me that GNR are doing this, but it is what it is. 

The really sad thing is though, that most people don't want it and they're not buying tickets as a result. But I don't think GNR are capable of or willing to recognise that. 

It's really sad in my eyes. Genuinely. But good luck to folk to who are happy to see the same show year after year after year. Some people are happy to work in the same job, doing the same thing, year after year too. It's not for me. 

I genuinely hoped for different, but clearly it was too much. The path is laid out, and to be honest, I should really get off that path and put GNR to bed in my mind as something still relevant to me or my life. 

Geeezzz....that sounds really melodramatic over the top depressing, but you know what I mean! Haha! 

It's great that they're going to do Hardschool of course. That's definitely a good thing. But how excited we are about the possibility of just that shows a bit how low expectations have become over time. Not that I'm knocking them playing it of course....and I'm very intrigued to see where it will show up. My guess would be on the UYI reissue package. 

Time to stick on some new music and perk myself up this afternoon I think!  

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

What I expected and what I hoped are two very different things! I can't help being disappointed, even though I did expect this. 

But, you know, if people want to see the same band play pretty much the same set over and over.....I say go for it. Depresses the hell out of me that GNR are doing this, but it is what it is. 

The really sad thing is though, that most people don't want it and they're not buying tickets as a result. But I don't think GNR are capable of or willing to recognise that. 

It's really sad in my eyes. Genuinely. But good luck to folk to who are happy to see the same show year after year after year. Some people are happy to work in the same job, doing the same thing, year after year too. It's not for me. 

I genuinely hoped for different, but clearly it was too much. The path is laid out, and to be honest, I should really get off that path and put GNR to bed in my mind as something still relevant to me or my life. 

Geeezzz....that sounds really melodramatic over the top depressing, but you know what I mean! Haha! 

Time to stick on some new music and perk myself up this afternoon I think!  

If I were to go to multiple shows myself, I might have felt slightly annoyed if the setlist are very similar from show to show, but I am not. I am just following the shows from home and then the order doesn't matter. New music, on the other hands, tickles my fanbone. Are you going to multiple shows and is that why you take this so hard? 

As for low sales: I am sure that has nothing to do with the setlist being similar to before. The fans that make up the brunt of the audiences don't care about such things. As long as they are entertained, they will be happy. Secondly, the poor sales happened before this partial setlist was revealed, so people couldn't possible have known. 

• Like 2

Just now, SoulMonster said:

If I were to go to multiple shows myself, I might have felt slightly annoyed if the setlist are very similar from show to show, but I am not. I am just following the shows from home and then the order doesn't matter. New music, on the other hands, tickles my fanbone. Are you going to multiple shows and is that why you take this so hard? 

As for low sales: I am sure that has nothing to do with the setlist being similar to before. The fans that make up the brunt of the audiences don't care about such things. As long as they are entertained, they will be happy. Secondly, the poor sales happened before this partial setlist was revealed, so people couldn't possible have known. 

Not doing any, but I've seen a few NITL of course. I can't spend money on the same thing over and over and it not be as good. Seems silly to me- I'd rather have the good memories than try to relive them. I find that sad too- as it's the first run through my area I've not been to. But there we go. 

What do you attribute the poor sales to then? It can't be Covid as that hasn't impacted on other bands sales and the shows went on sale a long time before we even had heard of Covid. Staleness and general disinterest in seeing the same thing again is all I can think of really. 

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Not doing any, but I've seen a few NITL of course. I can't spend money on the same thing over and over and it not be as good. Seems silly to me- I'd rather have the good memories than try to relive them. I find that sad too- as it's the first run through my area I've not been to. But there we go. 

What do you attribute the poor sales to then? It can't be Covid as that hasn't impacted on other bands sales and the shows went on sale a long time before we even had heard of Covid. Staleness and general disinterest in seeing the same thing again is all I can think of really. 

maybe you need a break from this band

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Definitely having seen the band not too long ago. But not the order of the songs. 

20 minutes ago, darkside259 said:

maybe you need a break from this band

Quite clearly! Although given that there is never anything to listen to, I think everyone is sort of on a break from the band, depending on how many times in your life you can listen to three or four albums! I wore out two copies of AFD back in the 90s! 

I think it’s important to temper expectations and not act like it’s a foregone conclusion that Hard School will definitively be played tonight. It was rehearsed/sound checked previously in 2020 and (Reportedly though we don’t have audio/video proof) 2019, yet it still hasn’t been played live. We’ve now got another sound check recording of it - that’s no more an indication that it will be played in previous years. That’s the way this band (i.e. Axl) works - some songs keep popping up in rehearsals, productions, etc, but just never get played. Remember when OMG was totally going to get played in 2011 when it was being soundchecked on the regular? It ended up meaning nothing. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I think it’s important to temper expectations and not act like it’s a foregone conclusion that Hard School will definitively be played tonight. It was rehearsed/sound checked previously in 2020 and (Reportedly though we don’t have audio/video proof) 2019, yet it still hasn’t been played live. We’ve now got another sound check recording of it - that’s no more an indication that it will be played in previous years. That’s the way this band (i.e. Axl) works - some songs keep popping up in rehearsals, productions, etc, but just never get played. Remember when OMG was totally going to get played in 2011 when it was being soundchecked on the regular? It ended up meaning nothing. 

It would be (sort of) funny if it didn't get played now! 

It would also be funny if it was a totally different setlist and people like me were getting all depressed for no reason! 

I would be very surprised though if Hardschool didn't get played now, at least at some point. 

1 hour ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

What exactly is your problem and why do you keep repeating yourself? Youkeep insisting there's no music, even though they rehearsed a new song yesterday. That's why everyone is so excited here. Besides that gnr doesn't have the catalogue like other bands to play completely different songs every night. They'll always be playing their hits.

If you're getting bored already after being a fan for a year, then GNR might not be the band for you. 

The opposite is also true though.....people who are new to the band end up wondering why people who have been into the band for 30 odd years aren't excited about hearing SCOM and telling them they should be thrilled at the prospect! 

7 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

This. I'm not expecting the song to be played at all. 

This is not an all-new show. It's exactly the same thing as 2020 was supposed to be, they just postponed the gig, but the plan is still the same. 

Also, even if they play it, it's also not a guarantee that we will hear the studio version anytime soon. 

But yeah, I'm excited. It's ok to be excited with this band for a change.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah I agree.....but surely new stuff and a new show would have boosted sales? 

Depends on what you mean with new show. As for new stuff, not much I believe. An entire new record that sell well, yes; one new song, not really. I simply think the vast majority of GN'R concert goers come for the nostalgia. 

10 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

The opposite is also true though.....people who are new to the band end up wondering why people who have been into the band for 30 odd years aren't excited about hearing SCOM and telling them they should be thrilled at the prospect! 

There is nothing strange about people stopping being into GN'R. Most people didn't even start getting into it. The funny thing is watching people struggle to come to terms with their interest waning. 

46 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

There are a ton of bands out there that have slowed ticket sales. Look at the list of bands on Live Nation that were part of the $20 ticket drop. Covid does have a part in it. High ticket prices and the fact that anyone who wanted to see them since the 'reunion' started has, are also huge parts of this. In '16 and '17, they sold out two nights at Metlife Stadium, one night at Prudential Center and three nights at MSG. There are plenty of tix available for the single show at Metlife next week. It's not just because of the setlist. Foo Fighters played Milwaukee last night and had tix available before the show. The Green Day show up there is slow, amongst many others. Covid certainly has something to do with it, especially now. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

They won’t play Hardschool. It’s gonna be one of those alternate songs that might get added down the line, and if does, then it will be played a little more regularly. 

This song appeared in the main Set and not on the alt list for tonight. 

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

There is nothing strange about people stopping being into GN'R. Most people didn't even start getting into it. The funny thing is watching people struggle to come to terms with their interest waning. 

Yep. I've often thought it would make a really interesting documentary actually (well, quite interesting!) speaking to really passionate GNR fans about the way the band seem to have turned into something that a young GNR would have railed against, and how this impacted on fans getting older too who very much bought into the ethos and rebellion of the early band. 

We all get older, some of us sell out and become things our younger selves would have disliked, others don't. Some try too hard to stay young, some embrace older age too readily- played out in relation to how the favourite band of their youth embraced nostalgia and how something they felt so passionately about became so predictable and corporate could be really interesting. 

Or maybe I have way too much on my hands! Anyone with any experience in documentary making, hit me up! Haha! 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1