Final day of rehearsals

This rehearsing thing... Axl definitely needs to practice his voice, but he can do so at home / in his studio, he doesn’t need to physically attend the band’s rehearsals, unless they’re playing something new. I mean, he already knows the songs, right? 
It’s not like with AC/DC, where everything was new (and Angus wouldn’t tolerate Axl not showing up anyway). 
So yeah, good that he participates, if that’s true, but it’s not like his vocal form depends entirely on him actually being there with the other guys, is it... 

5 hours ago, Bansidhe said:

Final half hour of the last rehearsal before the shows start.

Axl sat in Spoons.

Text to Duff.

"Time we rehearsin'?X"

They should just write "at your local Taco Bell" and he would be punctual for every rehearsal. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Haha 4

Agreed. Many people have mentioned in the past that Axl has been sighted at rehearsals where the band plays a new song (eg. Black Hole Sun, I feel Good, Slither, etc).

I'm probably looking into it too much, but there might be a chance something different will be played next show.

Edited by VeeR

3 hours ago, GoBucky said:

I have a good friend who's in the industry...he plays and works with a few small/midsized bands and works for a live equipment company out in LA. He was here in Chicago late last week and told me that he was working at the building Gn'R was rehearsing at for a day last week and said they were working on different songs from last tour and heard parts of a few songs he didn't know, and Axl was there. He's not a massive Guns fan, but has seen them numerous times since 87 and does know all of their recorded songs, so I guess take that for what it is. I figured he was just BSing me cause he knows I am a huge fan, but he sent me a few short recordings he took on his phone of Foo Fighters rehearsing at a different building a month ago, so I know he's around these bands. He was in an out all day and I suppose he didn't pull his phone out for this one because of that and probably Guns management walking around.. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but we've been friends for a long time and I trust him emphatically.

That's a good sign. Fernando would hunt him down if he recorded anything though :lol:

58 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Any chance he heard Axl screaming anything about ’all cautions made’ or having his ‘eye on you’….. 🤣.

In all seriousness, good that Axl was there and sounds positive that there was ‘unknown’ stuff being played (be it new/rare).

Don't forget mac daddy.

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, jamillos said:

This rehearsing thing... Axl definitely needs to practice his voice, but he can do so at home / in his studio, he doesn’t need to physically attend the band’s rehearsals, unless they’re playing something new. I mean, he already knows the songs, right? 
It’s not like with AC/DC, where everything was new (and Angus wouldn’t tolerate Axl not showing up anyway). 
So yeah, good that he participates, if that’s true, but it’s not like his vocal form depends entirely on him actually being there with the other guys, is it... 

The biggest problem I see is not even Axl's voice, his preperation or lack thereof, it's the click drums keeping everything rather static, sometimes dragging, sometimes a bit rushed. There is no room for even the slightest variety or improvisation, little time to breathe or hold a note a bit longer or shorter if you feel like it, anything a good singer or guitarist/pianist would want to have in order to keep himself sharp and on the edge. The second Axl actually works with his voice is when he will be off due to the click rhythm fucking up their entire sound. I believe that's also why Slash's solos are often just as sloppy.

Look at how Steven Adler does it, he knows every stupid little lyric by heart and is literally SINGING along with Axl while he is playing drums, he's totally in it and also adapts to the instruments providing the melody: lead vocals and guitars. That's what puts him above and beyond Frank who is just delivering the basic rhythm to a click so that those stupid videos and pyros are in sync.

With AC/DC I think you are right it was mandatory as Angus is boss there and he would not tolerate half assing. But then again no musician in his right mind would skip an opportunity to jam with AC/DC, not even Axl.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, adamsapple said:

Axl attending band rehearals almost gets my hopes up a bit, from what I understand last time he actually rehearsed with a band was with AC/DC and that turned out pretty good.

As for the songs your friend didn't know, perhaps a new cover or maybe songs from Chinese Democracy? Most people might know classic GNR but not be very familar with that album.

Axl has rehearsed a few times with GnR during NITL and they usually play something new when he does. Examples being Ireland 2017 Black Hole Sun. Berlin 2018 Slither 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VeeR said:

Agreed. Many people have mentioned in the past that Axl has been sighted at rehearsals where the band plays a new song (eg. Black Hole Sun, I feel Good, Slither, etc).

I'm probably looking into it too much, but there might be a chance something different will be played next show.

And we all hope they never massacre those songs again. But hey, this IS GnR

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chester 524 said:

which song did he mess up (well the whole band did) on a most recent show (ie before covid)?  I think they messed up dead horse and or locomotive.  would have been nice if they released those lol  

Probably Dead Horse; they didn't play Locomotive at last year's shows.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

which song did he mess up (well the whole band did) on a most recent show (ie before covid)?  I think they messed up dead horse and or locomotive.  would have been nice if they released those lol  

I think you’ve a greater chance at guessing which song they didn’t mess up…:lol:

Man, I really hope they’ve gotten their shit together for these upcoming shows  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

Surprisingly, Locomotive – despite being much harder ("a loooot of notes") – was quite fine. Dead Horse, on the other hand, got fucked up several times, as if they played it mostly by heart as they remembered it from the final shows in '93. 

16 hours ago, adamsapple said:

The biggest problem I see is not even Axl's voice, his preperation or lack thereof, it's the click drums keeping everything rather static, sometimes dragging, sometimes a bit rushed. There is no room for even the slightest variety or improvisation, little time to breathe or hold a note a bit longer or shorter if you feel like it, anything a good singer or guitarist/pianist would want to have in order to keep himself sharp and on the edge. The second Axl actually works with his voice is when he will be off due to the click rhythm fucking up their entire sound. I believe that's also why Slash's solos are often just as sloppy.

Hey man,

that's so true! It's also a big problem in my eyes, the fucking click track. I would be surprised if Slash really likes that. With his solo stuff he never uses that. 

However, probably Axl wanted to have it. 

• GNFNR 1

On 7/27/2021 at 11:42 AM, adamsapple said:

Look at how Steven Adler does it, he knows every stupid little lyric by heart and is literally SINGING along with Axl while he is playing drums, he's totally in it and also adapts to the instruments providing the melody: lead vocals and guitars. That's what puts him above and beyond Frank who is just delivering the basic rhythm to a click so that those stupid videos and pyros are in sync.

With AC/DC I think you are right it was mandatory as Angus is boss there and he would not tolerate half assing. But then again no musician in his right mind would skip an opportunity to jam with AC/DC, not even Axl.

7 hours ago, blackmore said:

Hey man,

that's so true! It's also a big problem in my eyes, the fucking click track. I would be surprised if Slash really likes that. With his solo stuff he never uses that. 

However, probably Axl wanted to have it. 

Idk where you're getting this click track stuff from, they're not using a click through every song. Frank said in an interview that sometimes they'll use it to start off a song but it's not going during the whole song. If that was the case then Frank wouldn't be speeding up and slowing down in the same song and they would've been in time with the video for SOYL.

• Like 1