What OLD SONG or COVER would you like to hear most/least on the upcoming tour?

2 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

I always thought War Pigs would be an interesting song for GnR to cover.  I think Axl would sound good on it, and Slash played it with Post Malone already.

As far as GnR songs I would love Don't Damn Me, Locomotive, Breakdown, Right Next Door, Oh My God, Shackler's Revenge and TWAT.  Garden of Eden would be amazing but I doubt Axl could pull it off lol.

I would put a lot of money on a Van Halen cover showing up.  Especially with WVH on the tour.

That would be awesome! I doubt it happens, but it would definitely be awesome! Slash and duff played ain’t talking about love at VanHalens  hof induction

1. No more covers ffs. 
2. As for old songs, only those that would fit Axl’s current form, whatever it will be. And overall, not the songs with middle rasp, which he doesn’t do any more. Therefore, songs like Breakdown or Think About You are off the table. Let’s go with something with the lower register, like Bad Obsession or Down on the Farm (also cover, but that’s different). Or the high stuff he can do (see SOYL), therefore You’re Crazy – AfD version, Nice Boys, Shackler (although Idk if Slash would want to play that), or Prostitute (clean voice – no problem). 
As for the suggested RNDTH, Don’t Damn Me, or even Perfect Crime, that’s basically science fiction, guys...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

Street of Dreams. Just to see how Slash would intentionally massacre the solo.

They should just no longer play any songs from Chinese Democracy.

Having heard most these songs from the CD lineups in person anything Slash has come up with so far regarding CD material is an insult to my ears, emotions and intelligence. He doesn't even play the right notes.

Why they don't let Richard do the CD solos now remains a mystery to me, he is much more connected to that material and could do it just fine, probably much better than Slash.

Edited by adamsapple
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

Breakdown and DDM would be songs I’d love to hear live but I just imagine Axl being able to sing them. 
I would go for 

1 . The Garden 

2. Move to the city 

3. Bad Obsession 

4. PTU 

I can’t be bothered with more covers but Fall To Pieces would be a good song. 

14 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Having heard most these songs from the CD lineups in person anything Slash has come up with so far regarding CD material is an insult to my ears, emotions and intelligence. He doesn't even play the right notes.

Why they don't let Richard do the CD solos now remains a mystery to me, he is much more connected to that material and could do it just fine, probably much better than Slash.

Sad but true. Let Richard play these solos or just drop these songs for good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

Street of Dreams. Just to see how Slash would intentionally massacre the solo.

Funny you say that... after watching TWAT on the selects, I was genuinely thinking that maybe Slash was partially butchering the Robin & Bucket solos? Robin's first solo is so beautiful in its sparsity and simplicity, to the point that an amateur could play it within 1 hour of picking up a guitar yet Slash was fumbling all over it. Same can be said for the first few bars of the Bucket outro.

Saw someone mention GN'R doing VH covers. 

A couple of things come to mind: 1) please, please, please no more covers 2) Wolfgang himself has made it crystal clear that he won't be covering any Van Halen material, so I doubt he'd be interested in joining GN'R for it

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Saw someone mention GN'R doing VH covers. 

A couple of things come to mind: 1) please, please, please no more covers 2) Wolfgang himself has made it crystal clear that he won't be covering any Van Halen material, so I doubt he'd be interested in joining GN'R for it

And let's be honest - it would sound like shit anyway.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Time for my yearly beating on this topic, but personally I don't think they'll ever do The Blues with Slash in the band because I think it's 100% about him. 

I think it's pretty clearly about Slash, it's very similar to Axl's 1999 Rolling Stone interview comments on him, right around the time the song was written. I also think it's not a coincidence that the first tour which didn't feature SOD was 2014, right around the time Axl was softening towards Slash.

19 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I think it's pretty clearly about Slash, it's very similar to Axl's 1999 Rolling Stone interview comments on him, right around the time the song was written. I also think it's not a coincidence that the first tour which didn't feature SOD was 2014, right around the time Axl was softening towards Slash.

If you read the lyrics with that theory in mind it really makes so much sense. I think it's about Slash now as well.

1 hour ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

48 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

If you read the lyrics with that theory in mind it really makes so much sense. I think it's about Slash now as well.

WHOA. I'm very happy to others actually agreeing with this! I wasn't kidding, I generally take a yearly beating for even suggesting it, but I've been doing so since like 2002 lol

2 hours ago, adamsapple said:

Yet You wouldn't mind all NU GNR guitar players playing Slash's material for 15 years 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

28 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I've never thought Sorry was about Slash myself. I think that's why Sorry gets played and not The Blues 

Hm, I've always thought it was the other way round (not sure about The Blues though, but I didn't reckon it was about Slash). After all, Axl did mention in the chat he was told to "shut up and sing" by the guys, hence the lyrics. I thought there was a consensus on this, Idk.

48 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

Robin's first solo is so beautiful in its sparsity and simplicity, to the point that an amateur could play it within 1 hour of picking up a guitar yet Slash was fumbling all over it. Same can be said for the first few bars of the Bucket outro.

Out of likes for today but you are spot on. Slash is a great blues player no question, but either he really ain't got a fucking clue about anything beyond pentatonics or he is intentionally taking the piss at Axl and all fans who love these songs.

I'm not music expert but from what I can tell TWAT is in B minor and the Buckethead portion of the solo uses chromatic scales, yet Slash keeps noodling pentatonics around E and it just hurts my ears, a total mess both technically and harmonically.

People saying Axl sounds like Mickey Mouse just because he sings clean and is not in baritone makes me wonder if they ever really listened to what Slash is actually doing on some songs? Axl does sound like crap sometimes, but as long as he's not goin on totally unprepared and he's at least aiming at the right notes I'm willing to cut him some slack. Also when Axl does songs he did not write himself he always has a certain standard, goes for the VR song and all covers they do. Slash doing CD songs just pisses me off.

50 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I've never thought Sorry was about Slash myself. I think that's why Sorry gets played and not The Blues 

I thought you did think it was about Slash..  Sorry is one of the few CD songs I like..  To me it sounds like is talking to all the people talking shit about him on message boards and stuff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

WHOA. I'm very happy to others actually agreeing with this! I wasn't kidding, I generally take a yearly beating for even suggesting it, but I've been doing so since like 2002 lol

I don't know what the song is about, it could be about Slash - or just about any person and/or idea he felt deeply for and ended up being hurt and dissapointed, certainly reflecting on his own expectations also. And who knows what people or experiences might have inspired the lyrics we have no knowledge of?

Sometimes you just fall out with people you actually love and admire, had high hopes and great ideas connected with them but then you gotta move on an reflect to survive and that's what this song is about to me, like most of the album actually, survival. For all I know the lyrics might as well be about Kurt Cobain if you catch my drift.

I wish people would wrap their head around lyrics more, most of Axl's are really good and go deep. But I doubt his whole world is about GNR, so who knows what The Blues really is about. It's these kind of questions I miss from interviews, like tell me what was going on in your head and heart when you wrote this song and how do you feel about it now. Anyways, it's a beautiful song.

Edited by adamsapple