What OLD SONG or COVER would you like to hear most/least on the upcoming tour?

59 minutes ago, agustingloger said:

Yet You wouldn't mind all NU GNR guitar players playing Slash's material for 15 years 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

Unlike Slash on CD songs at least they were playing the right notes, The biggest difference was their individual guitar sounds. Bucket with that massive oomph (using Mesa heads in 2002 I think) and Ron's tone drowning in compression sounded absolutely nothing like vintage GNR, but that wasn't the point of that particular time anyway, at least to the small minority who got it. I enjoyed every show I attended, people who only know vintage and current GNR have no idea what they were missing out on. The only guitarist that did absolutely nothing for me was DJ Ashba.

• Like 1

If the reason they haven't/won't play Street of Dreams is that it is about Slash, then we shouldn't expect Hardschool ever beign played either  :lol:

Seriously, I don't think a song being about Slash has much to do with playing it or not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, adamsapple said:

Out of likes for today but you are spot on. Slash is a great blues player no question, but either he really ain't got a fucking clue about anything beyond pentatonics or he is intentionally taking the piss at Axl and all fans who love these songs.

I'm not music expert but from what I can tell TWAT is in B minor and the Buckethead portion of the solo uses chromatic scales, yet Slash keeps noodling pentatonics around E and it just hurts my ears, a total mess both technically and harmonically.

People saying Axl sounds like Mickey Mouse just because he sings clean and is not in baritone makes me wonder if they ever really listened to what Slash is actually doing on some songs? Axl does sound like crap sometimes, but as long as he's not goin on totally unprepared and he's at least aiming at the right notes I'm willing to cut him some slack. Also when Axl does songs he did not write himself he always has a certain standard, goes for the VR song and all covers they do. Slash doing CD songs just pisses me off.

Yeah imagine how pissed of we were for 15 years of Bucket, Robin, Ron, Dj ashba for fucks sake doing GNR songs

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I thought you did think it was about Slash..  Sorry is one of the few CD songs I like..  To me it sounds like is talking to all the people talking shit about him on message boards and stuff. 

The more I listen to Sorry the more I like it. Love Axl's low voice and the guitar solo's epic

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nesret said:

Good point! In case of "Hardschool", I sometimes wonder if Slash is just cool with it that it was (probably?) aimed against him, or if he just doesn't care what the lyrics are about? Are there any statements from Slash regarding CD album lyrics for example? 

I think it could be either, or he could be even flattered. He has said a few times over the years that he generally doesn't care about song lyrics and what they're about, but that could be just him "playing it cool" :lol:

The only comments he has made about CD that may include the lyrics are these:

It was the perfect Axl record — exactly what I would have expected from the final years of us working together, and seeing where he was headed musically. It’s very heavy; sort of a dark, depressing record. He’s f- – – ing phenomenal.   [The New York Post, April 4, 2010]

It's great. It's the perfect Axl record. [...] Axl's brilliant. I look at it differently than your average fan, I look at it more from what he's about and what it represents and our relationship. I think it's a great record. It's very much the record I would have expected him to do.   [The Courier Mail, May 6, 2010]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I thought you did think it was about Slash..  Sorry is one of the few CD songs I like..  To me it sounds like is talking to all the people talking shit about him on message boards and stuff. 

Nah, I've never thought Sorry was about Slash. However, I have been getting my head caved in for 20 years for thinking (read: knowing) The Blues is about him. 

1 hour ago, adamsapple said:

I don't know what the song is about, it could be about Slash - or just about any person and/or idea he felt deeply for and ended up being hurt and dissapointed, certainly reflecting on his own expectations also. And who knows what people or experiences might have inspired the lyrics we have no knowledge of?

Sometimes you just fall out with people you actually love and admire, had high hopes and great ideas connected with them but then you gotta move on an reflect to survive and that's what this song is about to me, like most of the album actually, survival. For all I know the lyrics might as well be about Kurt Cobain if you catch my drift.

I wish people would wrap their head around lyrics more, most of Axl's are really good and go deep. But I doubt his whole world is about GNR, so who knows what The Blues really is about. It's these kind of questions I miss from interviews, like tell me what was going on in your head and heart when you wrote this song and how do you feel about it now. Anyways, it's a beautiful song.

I'm a BIG lyric guy. Lyrics matter more to me than almost anything else in songs. That's why I've been a long time defender of CD as a whole when people say the whole album is about GN'R and/or Stephanie. 

I'm sure Axl has a lot more to think about than just those two subjects. However, the one song in particular (The Blues) is absolutely about Slash specifically, IMO. 

• Like 1

I know all this has been discussed and speculated on to death, but I think most of CD lyrics are composites, ie. about more than one specific person or theme. Some lines in Sorry, for example, do seem to be directed at one specific person (especially the lines at the end), while other parts may be about the press, as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm a BIG lyric guy. Lyrics matter more to me than almost anything else in songs. That's why I've been a long time defender of CD as a whole when people say the whole album is about GN'R and/or Stephanie. 

I'm sure Axl has a lot more to think about than just those two subjects. However, the one song in particular (The Blues) is absolutely about Slash specifically, IMO. 

It could be, but we will never know unless Axl speaks about it. Has he ever? I sure haven't read all his interviews. I could see the connection though, given how his comments about Slash during the CD tour clearly reflected how hurt he was by him and the picture the public painted of him.

Come to think of it, if they drop all covers they might as well play just play their entire catalogue in about five hours - everybody happy.

Next stop anything but the major hits.

Third show greatest hits only.

Next one Chinese Democracy in its entireness only and then just one single fucking encore being Oh My God.

Now that'd be a tour I would celebrate and make sure I attend as many shows as possible, even without a single new song.

That's easy: Slash is an icon, i.e. he doesn't have to play some unknown guys' tunes note by note. Whereas they had to play his tunes note by note, because the songs are legendary. Like it or not, that's how it is. And yes, I think the times Axl supervised every note on CD are gone - it's been 13 years since the release after all, and the songs have been played to death by a galore of people. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 2

I think maybe Axl was/is just happy that these songs got the chance to be heard by larger crowds and people who had never heard them before, and whether Slash has been faithful to the originals or not is secondary or not important at all to him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nesret said:

I feel the same. Axl's indifference towards the 2016 and later CD-versions is what I don't really understand, considering how literally obsessed he allegedly was with finding the "right" sounds and notes for pretty much every single bar in every song during the making of the album. But maybe he has just left this time behind him for good and is maybe even happy that everything sounds different or more "slashified" nowadays, what the hell do I know. To me it just seems a bit odd. :ph34r: 

Well. One thing is on CD, availabe for everyone until all eternity, the other is played at a concert time, yanked of Youtube the next day. There is no need for Axl to be obsessed how Slash plays it. Especially since he can not even sing it the way he recorded it.

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

Slash is an icon, i.e. he doesn't have to play some unknown guys' tunes note by note. Whereas they had to play his tunes note by note, because the songs are legendary.

He sounds like he thinks like that about himself and that is exactly what turns me off about him these days. This whole icon thing somehow seems to clog his ears and those of many fans too. What Slash does on TWAT is basically DJ Ashba level, faking his way through the song because why bother learning the damn thing as long as it looks cool.

Buckethead understood Nightrain is a great song and how much fans love it, so he treated it and in that the fans with respect, making it a highlight in the GNR setlist to this day. Slash could easily do as good or better with just about any CD tune, but why bother when you're an icon.

• Like 3

Street of Dreams is a hard song to sing, IMO that's why Axl didn't want to sing it since 2014. I doubt he cares that much if anyone would feel bad about his songs, especially before Slash came back. 

Though I believe the alleged single had a pretty clear image of a woman that would represent somehow something from the lyrics. 

16 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I know all this has been discussed and speculated on to death, but I think most of CD lyrics are composites, ie. about more than one specific person or theme. Some lines in Sorry, for example, do seem to be directed at one specific person (especially the lines at the end), while other parts may be about the press, as well.

I agree. And those lines at the end of Sorry are about Jimmy Iovine, as far as I remember. Or maybe it's just my memory getting fuzzy.

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

That's easy: Slash is an icon, i.e. he doesn't have to play some unknown guys' tunes note by note. Whereas they had to play his tunes note by note, because the songs are legendary. Like it or not, that's how it is. And yes, I think the times Axl supervised every note on CD are gone - it's been 13 years since the release after all, and the songs have been played to death by a galore of people. 

Well, Slash didn't care about playing a legendary solo from Eddie Van Halen on MJ's Beat It, or Randy Rhoads' Crazy Train. It's just not his thing to play note by note ANY solo, it's his style. And I think that's ok, as long as he came up with something at least as good. 

But about Axl, I don't know if he was that adamant about the CD songs. As much as I like Bumblefoot, his additions on CD were clearly rushed and not well thought out, making the mix even worse in a lot of cases.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Voodoochild said:

I agree. And those lines at the end of Sorry are about Jimmy Iovine, as far as I remember. Or maybe it's just my memory getting fuzzy.

Really? That's interesting. I've never heard of that before - at least I've never read it in any interviews.

But "You chose to hurt those that love you and won't set them free" doesn't sound like something he would say about Iovine or the press (I don't think Axl loved them, lol) or the fans.

2 hours ago, Nesret said:

I feel the same. Axl's indifference towards the 2016 and later CD-versions is what I don't really understand, considering how literally obsessed he allegedly was with finding the "right" sounds and notes for pretty much every single bar in every song during the making of the album. But maybe he has just left this time behind him for good and is maybe even happy that everything sounds different or more "slashified" nowadays, what the hell do I know. To me it just seems a bit odd. :ph34r: 

You said it yourself not even Axl cares how Chinese songs sounds with Slash. It's obvious he doesn't care if he plays the solos note by note perfect ... The guitar player plays his own way. Slash doesn't care Axl singing like shit so...

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Really? That's interesting. I've never heard of that before - at least I've never read it in any interviews.

But "You chose to hurt those that love you and won't set them free" doesn't sound like something he would say about Iovine or the press (I don't think Axl loved them, lol) or the fans.

My bad, I was referring to the "just shut up and sing" line before the last chorus. I don't think Axl said that about Sorry, it was just an assumption from what he said about Iovine. Or like I said, being now over 40s is taking a toll on my brain haha

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

My bad, I was referring to the "just shut up and sing" line before the last chorus. I don't think Axl said that about Sorry, it was just an assumption from what he said about Iovine. Or like I said, being now over 40s is taking a toll on my brain haha

But that line is what Slash supposedly said to Axl when he brought in the songs that ended up on that Snakepit album. 

29 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Oh, okay :)

Yeah, that "just shut up and sing" line was, I suppose, what mainly led many fans to think that the song was about Slash. But I think that particular line could be about anyone, really* - it isn't the exact thing Axl alleged that he'd been told by Slash. However, I can't think of anyone else the line "You chose to hurt those that love you..." could be directed at.

* For example, there were reviews from the UYI era which reported that the crowd shouted "shut up and sing" during Axl's rants.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1