What OLD SONG or COVER would you like to hear most/least on the upcoming tour?

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

But that line is what Slash supposedly said to Axl when he brought in the songs that ended up on that Snakepit album. 

I know, but for some reason I thought it wouldn't be about that. 

I've been trying to find Axl's quote about, but I just can't. So yeah, looks like it was me talking out of my ass. Sorry about that :(

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Oh, okay :)

Yeah, that "just shut up and sing" line was, I suppose, what mainly led many fans to think that the song was about Slash. But I think that particular line could be about anyone, really* - it isn't the exact thing Axl alleged that he'd been told by Slash. However, I can't think of anyone else the line "You chose to hurt those that love you..." could be directed at.

* For example, there were reviews from the UYI era which reported that the crowd shouted "shut up and sing" during Axl's rants.

100% sure you already know this, but here's what Axl said back in those late 2008 chats:

With Sorry.. like a lot of the material is drawn from a lot of different situations. The main focus on the boards w/the track seems to be either Slash or "the fans" (and the collective of "the fans" is another thing that doesn't work for me) and is much too restrictive or narrow and limits what I feel I intended.
For me it's for anyone talking nonsense at mine and the public's expense and that many of those as well as the public don't know who to believe.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/news/shownews.php?newsid=1973

Edited by Voodoochild
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

But about Axl, I don't know if he was that adamant about the CD songs. As much as I like Bumblefoot, his additions on CD were clearly rushed and not well thought out, making the mix even worse in a lot of cases.

That's one of the occasions I can't get my head around Axl's mindset at all. Live renditions are a whole different thing, but that was the record he'd been working on for years, having collected who knows how many different takes he could pick from. I get that he wanted to include the newer members on the album in some capacity, so he had Frank play a small part, but having Bumblefoot lay down tracks overnight and pasting them all over, and even replacing other parts and solos with them... I don't understand what Axl was thinking.

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

know, but for some reason I thought it wouldn't be about that. 

I've been trying to find Axl's quote about, but I just can't. So yeah, looks like it was me talking out of my ass. Sorry about that

Here it is:

I read all this 'if Axl would've put words and melodies on it could've…' That was denied and I didn't walk 'till several months after having 3-to-4-hour phone conversations nearly every day with Slash trying to reach a compromise. I was specifically told no lyrics, no melodies, no changes to anything and to sing what I was told or fuck off.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t5904-2008-12-14-mygnrforum-com-axl-talks-to-fans

To me it's not the exact thing as "shut up and sing" (and I don't mean the wording).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, adamsapple said:

He sounds like he thinks like that about himself and that is exactly what turns me off about him these days. This whole icon thing somehow seems to clog his ears and those of many fans too. What Slash does on TWAT is basically DJ Ashba level, faking his way through the song because why bother learning the damn thing as long as it looks cool.

Buckethead understood Nightrain is a great song and how much fans love it, so he treated it and in that the fans with respect, making it a highlight in the GNR setlist to this day. Slash could easily do as good or better with just about any CD tune, but why bother when you're an icon.

Surely not on every occasion they played it, though? Idk, it just doesn't really grind my gears, to be honest. Maybe he was bored with the tour, maybe he just wanted to improvise, maybe these solos aren't that rememberable, but the prinicple I was talking about still stands. But yeah, I get that some folks more heavy on NuGNR mind more than I do. 

4 hours ago, adamsapple said:

He sounds like he thinks like that about himself and that is exactly what turns me off about him these days. This whole icon thing somehow seems to clog his ears and those of many fans too. What Slash does on TWAT is basically DJ Ashba level, faking his way through the song because why bother learning the damn thing as long as it looks cool.

Buckethead understood Nightrain is a great song and how much fans love it, so he treated it and in that the fans with respect, making it a highlight in the GNR setlist to this day. Slash could easily do as good or better with just about any CD tune, but why bother when you're an icon.

This. 100% this. For the same reason he's probably thinking  his 10 minute blues scale wank solos are  a must at EVERY show. Not cool at all.

7 hours ago, jamillos said:

That's easy: Slash is an icon, i.e. he doesn't have to play some unknown guys' tunes note by note. Whereas they had to play his tunes note by note, because the songs are legendary. Like it or not, that's how it is. And yes, I think the times Axl supervised every note on CD are gone - it's been 13 years since the release after all, and the songs have been played to death by a galore of people. 

Exactly.

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

But that line is what Slash supposedly said to Axl when he brought in the songs that ended up on that Snakepit album. 

Would love to have been a fly on the wall to see that little exchange. Plus, how does one shut up but still manage to sing?

Edited by lame ass security
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/27/2021 at 11:10 AM, YOUCOULDBEMINE. said:

Hardschool since it’s at least 22 years old.

And Breakdown.

Pretty baffling that even when the Checkmate clip leaked the song was still at least 7 years old.

personally I want Perhaps if by some miracle they play it I’ll probably buy at least one more ticket for my GF (Perhaps is her favorite GNR song)

Edited by The Matinator

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

They played it at one of the Toronto 1991 shows but I think that was the only time on the UYI tour.

They really need to release stuff like this. Give me live versions of Locomotive and Breakdown too from that era. Also without me looking, was Bad Apples performed after RIR 91?

13 minutes ago, mystery said:

They really need to release stuff like this. Give me live versions of Locomotive and Breakdown too from that era. Also without me looking, was Bad Apples performed after RIR 91?

Bad Apples was only played once after RIR, at Pantages Theatre, the 2nd surprise warm-up show. That show is my UYI grail, tbh. It was recorded on film, and if they decided to clean it up and release it we'd basically get a 'pro-shot' similar to the It's So Easy video... the videos for Mr Brownstone and My Michelle used footage from that show.

edit: the 3rd night at Madison Square Garden 1991 would be another epic show for them to release, as they played both Breakdown and Locomotive at that show.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Bad Apples was only played once after RIR, at Pantages Theatre, the 2nd surprise warm-up show. That show is my UYI grail, tbh. It was recorded on film, and if they decided to clean it up and release it we'd basically get a 'pro-shot' similar to the It's So Easy video... the videos for Mr Brownstone and My Michelle used footage from that show.

edit: the 3rd night at Madison Square Garden 1991 would be another epic show for them to release, as they played both Breakdown and Locomotive at that show.

I'm always baffled by artists that sit on this stuff. One thing I'd like to see that involves a different artist is Pearl Jam at the Moore Theatre in Seattle in 1992.

This is where the Even Flow video comes from. Watching the video you can clearly see other songs were filmed to make up the final video. If they have footage of the rest of the show they should release it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mystery said:

I'm always baffled by artists that sit on this stuff. One thing I'd like to see that involves a different artist is Pearl Jam at the Moore Theatre in Seattle in 1992.

This is where the Even Flow video comes from. Watching the video you can clearly see other songs were filmed to make up the final video. If they have footage of the rest of the show they should release it.

There's stuff like the 1988 Melbourne pro-shot where Axl mentions at some point that they're filming the show for themselves, basically as something to show their friends when they get home, so I can see why bands might sit on certain shows... but knowing that the whole UYI tour was recorded in some form, just makes the lack of live releases even more frustrating. For a band that seems to be all about selling merch and old songs, you'd think it would be a no-brainer to let fans throw money at them for old concerts...

• Like 2

After last night’s revelation I think they should keep that spot in the set for stuff from the alts list and either rotate them for each gig OR get fans involved at the gig and vote between a choice of stuff from the alt list. Bands have done that in the past and this would be pretty cool IMO.