RIP Joey Jordison

Gordon Comstock

Holy shit, this was unexpected. Only 46. :no:

Joey Jordison, Slipknot’s founding drummer and co-writer of many of their biggest hits, died on Monday at the age of 46. A rep for his family said he died peacefully in his sleep but did not specify a cause of death.

“Joey’s death has left us with empty hearts and feelings of indescribable sorrow,” reads a statement from Jordison’s family. “To those that knew Joey, understood his quick wit, his gentle personality, giant heart, and his love for all things family and music. The family of Joey have asked that friends, fans, and media understandably respect our need for privacy and peace at this incredibly difficult time.” The family intends to hold a private funeral service.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/joey-jordison-slipknot-dead-1203167/

Say what you want about Slipknot's music but the guy was an absolute beast behind the kit. Saw them live in 2009 (one of the last few shows with Paul) and Joey's playing was incredible.

52 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Holy shit, this was unexpected. Only 46. :no:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/joey-jordison-slipknot-dead-1203167/

Say what you want about Slipknot's music but the guy was an absolute beast behind the kit. Saw them live in 2009 (one of the last few shows with Paul) and Joey's playing was incredible.

I was never a big fan but I respect their place in rock music and of course, 46 is way too young :(

He had some really bad health issues a few years ago, as mentioned in the RS article:

“I got really, really sick with a horrible disease called transverse myelitis; I lost my legs,” he told the audience at the Metal Hammer Golden Gods Awards in 2016. “I couldn’t play anymore. It was a form of multiple sclerosis, which I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. I got myself back up, and I got myself in the gym and I got myself back in fucking therapy to fucking beat this shit.”

I wasn't into Vimic or Scar The Martyr but I always kinda hoped he'd get back to the status he deserved to be at, in an arena-level band. Joey was definitely one of the best drummers from the late 90s to early 2000s, in terms of uniqueness and inspiring younger drummers. It sucks that some of his last years were so tough on his health...

• Sad 1

On 7/27/2021 at 4:37 PM, Powerage5 said:

Very shocking. Not a Slipknot fan really but I respect them immensely. Saw them once at a festival and he was an absolute madman behind the kit. RIP :( 

I skipped them at the download 2005 festival to see Therapy?, DKT/MC5 & Motorhead. I don’t regret it, but I regret not seeing him behind a kit once. He was a killer drummer. He really proved that at the previous years download festival, he played most of Metallica’s set when Lars was ill. He killed a few of those tunes in a way Lars couldn’t. 

Edited by Powderfinger
  • GNFNR 2