Scott Weiland on Axl and GnR

"I understand Axl Rose a lot more now"

In a interview from June 23 from 2008 for the "clasic rock" magazine:

"When you think about it, isn’t it ironic that the band is regurgitating the same story that they did with Axl Rose in their last band, where the lead singer was being demonised? Originally I thought: “What a troll he must have been. What an evil man.” But you know what? I have to say that I have an entirely different opinion of him today."

Scott refers to the lack of empathy from slash, duff and matt back in the days :

"Matt became horrendous. He and I had come close to fist-fights so many times that it’s ridiculous. He has an attitude with lead singers. It’s a problem he had before Revolver – in Guns N’ Roses and The Cult. And, who knows"

. Slash and I have always been able to maintain, except on a few occasions, a professional relationship. Duff and I have usually been close. Then everything started to erode. I couldn’t believe I was in this situation where I was getting ostracised by people who had been in the same fucking situation that I was in.

then he say something very interesting and comparable to the situation of guns now day :

At this point I prefer recording. At least it gives you something a little more thrilling to do while you are touring. Something more challenging than playing It’s So Easy/Sex Type Thing every night.

I think the emotional let-down was that we achieved something special. We pushed the envelope and created something unique and then blew it. The initial goal was to tour our albums and not fall back on our old catalogue from our respective past. What ended up happening was exactly the opposite. We ended up falling back on the old material because there’s not enough confidence in what this band is about. It seemed to be more important to play the old rock stuff than build up a legacy with the new band. And it just became not fun. I think I have a lot more to say musically.

and the Scott said that they should get gnr together 

I think they should get Guns N’ Roses back together, to tell you the truth. I think that would be the greatest thing that they could do. I think the world would be very happy. If they could stop talking trash about Axl in the press. It almost happened. The pens were ready to sign. With the Greatest Hits there was a possibility but there was too much stuff being said. But it was a close call. I would love to see that happen, as a Guns N’ Roses fan. I’d pay to see it.

I think his experience with the guys resume very well the behavior of the band back in the days, and explain a lot of what is happening today with the eternal tour. 

We miss you Scott.

Rip

Source: https://www.loudersound.com/features/scott-weiland

Edited by darkside259
Gramatic
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

8 minutes ago, darkside259 said:

I think his experience with the guys resume very well the behavior of the band back in the days, and explain a lot of what is happening today with the eternal tour. 

You mean the falling back on the back catalog bit? I think that could be a little bit true for this tour. But honestly I thought VR played some of those old songs for the fans. They did ISE, Brownstone, Patience, UTLH (for GnR) and Sex Type Thing, Crackerman, Vasoline, Interstate Love Song, and a few times they did Dead and Bloated (STP). Obviously they didn't do all of those songs at each show; some were played more often than others. But my point is they weren't playing mostly GnR/STP songs and then just a few VR songs, it was the other way around.

Not throwing salt in wounds because Scott is in my top 5 all time.. But maybe around that time he would have been just as difficult to navigate as Axl was in the 90’s, just for different reasons ie. substance abuse. 

Slash and Duff have always been functioning, even at their peaks of substance abuse. Scott may not have been as functioning at the time and was viewing the VR days through a different lens as the other three.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bitchisback said:

Not seeing Velvet Revolver live will always be one of my biggest regrets.  I was lucky enough to see STP with Scott 3 times though.  Just wish I had the chance to see VR man

Same, I wasn't old enough. By the time I discovered and got into them it was right after they had fired Scott.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Not seeing Velvet Revolver live will always be one of my biggest regrets.  I was lucky enough to see STP with Scott 3 times though.  Just wish I had the chance to see VR man

They were good. I caught them in 2005 twice, Dublin & the Download Festival and again twice in 2008 both nights they played Dublin. Both those nights they were brilliant, no way of knowing then that they were among the last bunch of shows they ever did. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Powderfinger said:

They were good. I caught them in 2005 twice, Dublin & the Download Festival and again twice in 2008 both nights they played Dublin. Both those nights they were brilliant, no way of knowing then that they were among the last bunch of shows they ever did. 

Download 2005 is one of the best.

Definitely interesting how both bands turned out with the singer being the cause of the issues or scapegoat depending on who you speak to. With the clashes of creative forces and egos going on it is miracle any bands make it at all!

14 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Download 2005 is one of the best.

Yeah they were killer that day, I was there to see Black Sabbath primarily and headed down the front of the crowd early in the day to get a good spot. Anthrax were good, HIM were bottled the entire time they were on. I thought Velvet Revolver were tighter than they were 6 months earlier. Watching the footage back years later confirmed it. 

I’d still take the 2 Dublin gigs in 2008 as the best of the bunch. I liked a lot of the libertad material and it was great live. The Ambassador in Dublin only held about 1500-2000 so it was really intimate also.

Donnington is a major crush if you’re close to the front. There was people passing out standing upright by the time Sabbath came on. 

Edited by Powderfinger

1 hour ago, Powderfinger said:

Yeah they were killer that day, I was there to see Black Sabbath primarily and headed down the front of the crowd early in the day to get a good spot. Anthrax were good, HIM were bottled the entire time they were on. I thought Velvet Revolver were tighter than they were 6 months earlier. Watching the footage back years later confirmed it. 

I’d still take the 2 Dublin gigs in 2008 as the best of the bunch. I liked a lot of the libertad material and it was great live. The Ambassador in Dublin only held about 1500-2000 so it was really intimate also.

Donnington is a major crush if you’re close to the front. There was people passing out standing upright by the time Sabbath came on. 

Lol. HIM were bottled? Hilarious. Everybody I’ve known who loves that band is weird. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ixtlan said:

Lol. HIM were bottled? Hilarious. Everybody I’ve known who loves that band is weird. 

The entire time they were on may be an exaggeration, but there was a lot more flying when they started than any other band and there was at least 2-3 bottles each song. 

Axl was always the sober one, and he felt terrified as fuck bcuz of the others I believe. Of course he is not a smart one when it comes to business and keeping up well with the people and all but he loves GNR and what they created together to the death, that should have made him crazy and aggressive out of desperation and his weak character.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2021 at 8:52 PM, MaskingApathy said:

Sounds like they talked a lot about Axl amongst themselves when doing VR stuff. 

How could you not? He was the white elephant in the room who also held permanent real estate in the minds of Slash, Duff and Matt. 

I think this "Axl was the sober one" that often gets repeated needs some qualification.

I think what "sober" meant in GnR world was, not having a full on heroin addiction or alcoholism to the point of getting the shakes without a drink, and not doing coke every day.

He wasn't totally sober, there are various reports of him smoking weed a lot, also doing opium, mushrooms, some heroin in the old days, and he would have done coke sometimes. I've often thought that his extremely energetic UYI performances might have been aided by meth or something but I've no proof of that. It might have been some less intense stimulant. He certainly used to look very skinny and a bit tough sometimes. Slash often said Axl would characteristically be full of energy and plans for short bursts, then be reclusive and sleeping for days. It doesn't sound like the behaviour of a totally sober guy.

Edited by Nice Boy
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

I think this "Axl was the sober one" that often gets repeated needs some qualification.

I think what "sober" meant in GnR world was, not having a full on heroin addiction or alcoholism to the point of getting the shakes without a drink, and not doing coke every day.

He wasn't totally sober, there are various reports of him smoking weed a lot, also doing opium, mushrooms, some heroin in the old days, and he would have done coke sometimes. I've often thought that his extremely energetic UYI performances might have been aided by meth or something but I've no proof of that. It might have been some less intense stimulant. He certainly used to look very skinny and a bit tough sometimes. Slash often said Axl would characteristically be full of energy and plans for short bursts, then be reclusive and sleeping for days. It doesn't sound like the behaviour of a totally sober guy.

100% its so funny how much the camp tries to paint axl as the most sober one when really it is not the case 

weiland and axl are basically the same person 

i would say weiland held his own as far as being a rock star is concerned and made axl feel like nothing during the VR days 

when conversely axl during UYI definetely was getting fucked up, theres no way he was sober or not on drugs with how skinny he was 

furthermore the last 15 years he's by far the most fucked up one of the OG crew so he's a hypocrite in a sense if he were to ever try and pull that kind of card, which im sure he doesn't or wouldn't with someone like steven 

i think slash is drinking again though 

1 hour ago, Nice Boy said:

I don't think anyone -including Axl himself - has ever claimed that Axl never did drugs. What has been stated by all accounts is what you say, that he'd do various substances occasionally, but wasn't addicted to them (with the exception of a short period in the early days of the band when he did heroin). That in itself, though, was a big difference from the state Slash, Izzy, Steven, Duff - and Weiland, for that matter - were in as far as that went. 

Going from being fully energetic to being down could've been due to other reasons (BPD or other mental condition).  Weiland said that he also had BPD - I suppose drug use makes it much worse.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1