Hard School

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

I remember that. You would think Richard would remember the tune if it was what he worked on. Maybe the Slash song isn't HS after all.

Yeah, I suppose there are a few Slash riffs/ideas from 1994/96. Why would it have to be Hardschool?

I suppose one glimmer of hope in all of this is that we now know that a stage graphic exists for this song. They wouldn’t go through the trouble of making that unless they intended to play the song at least ONCE, right?

Jarmo did also say that everything that was soundchecked in 2020 would eventually be played live. But that was forever ago, right as the pandemic started, so who the fuck even knows anymore…

Just now, rocknroll41 said:

I suppose one glimmer of hope in all of this is that we now know that a stage graphic exists for this song. They wouldn’t go through the trouble of making that unless they intended to play the song at least ONCE, right?

yeah, I think the intention is to play and I'm optimistic about it. Thing is, Axl can always decide not to do something but my bet is they'll play it and it's only a matter of time.

25 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah they’re only playing it now cause it leaked. It’s 2006 all over again.

The difference is that then there was publicity about the leaks. Now there was none. Outside of the forums, discord etc (all in all 1,000 or 2,000 people at most), no one has heard them or don't even know what "Hardschool" is.

So I don't think that playing has necessarily to do with the leaks. Like I said, it could be just that it happened to be the first song Slash and Duff started working with.

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

The difference is that then there was publicity about the leaks. Now there was none. Outside of the forums, discord etc (all in all 1,000 or 2,000 people at most), no one has heard them or don't even know what "Hardschool" is.

So I don't think that playing has necessarily to do with the leaks. Like I said, it could be just that it happened to be the first song Slash and Duff started working with.

I wonder who's idea it was to pick Hardschool to be reworked and added to the setlist. Was it even Slash and Duff that chose it? cause if Axl is aware of the positive reception of the leak, even with zero coverage from the media, would he choose it based on that?

just seems weird that Slash and Duff would choose this song of all the shitload of material they said Axl got and it having nothing to do with the 2019 leaks but I guess stranger things have happened.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

I wonder who's idea it was to pick Hardschool to be reworked and added to the setlist. Was it even Slash and Duff that chose it? cause if Axl is aware of the positive reception of the leak, even with zero coverage from the media, would he choose it based on that?

just seems weird that Slash and Duff would choose this song of all the shitload of material they said Axl got and it having nothing to do with the 2019 leaks but I guess stranger things have happened.

I think it's possible that they started working on it before the leaks and it leaking was a coincidence. If it's from 1996 as we think, maybe Axl said to Duff "Remember this? or something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Wouldnt Aint Goin Down fit that role better?

Also, idk if it’s been mentioned here but Meegan posted a soundcheck pick on Instagram that she quickly deleted like five mins later and the stage graphic in the background said HARD SKOOL, so we now know for sure that that’s the correct spelling. Maybe we should change the thread name?

Hmmmm......yeah you're probably right. I just find it strange that focus is being placed on this one song (and this one song only) when we know about the existence of so many others, and with the rumours of it's origin in might make sense that it's part of the UYI reissue. 

Entire speculation on my part of course. 

4 hours ago, GoForJMark said:

https://streamable.com/xtp9yq 

He should be able to get through it. Listen to the instrumental breaks. 

After listen to this mix i think the song is already done and Even rehearsed several times. The too Hardschool chorus from duff and Melissa in the soundcheks sounds great with the músic and Axl's vocals. It was catchy before the rework and now with slash it's Even more catchier. I think eventually it would be released

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Why don't these fucking dummies DO THEMSELVES A FAVOR and release this as a single? The tour is selling dismally, and no ones been excited to see them since 2017.  They make it so damn hard to root for them.

Yes, this is inexplicable.

The only explanations I can think of is that either Axl wants to tinker with it or they're still renegotiating the contract with the label.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Wouldnt Aint Goin Down fit that role better?

Also, idk if it’s been mentioned here but Meegan posted a soundcheck pick on Instagram that she quickly deleted like five mins later and the stage graphic in the background said HARD SKOOL, so we now know for sure that that’s the correct spelling. Maybe we should change the thread name?

When was this graphic/photo? Mexico? Hershey? 

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Hmmmm......yeah you're probably right. I just find it strange that focus is being placed on this one song (and this one song only) when we know about the existence of so many others, and with the rumours of it's origin in might make sense that it's part of the UYI reissue. 

It might be the one or two songs from CD2 Axl is letting the current lineup perform on before it is released. :P

31 minutes ago, ApacheChief42 said:

If the “Absurd” setlist is real, it is completely ridiculous to me that Hard Skool, the first new GNR song in 13 years would only be played as an alternate. What the hell is wrong with this band…

If I were to  come with a suggestion: The band/management is not entirely convinced we fans will appreciate new music. To them, all we do is complain. They tend to focus on the criticism and not see the praise. Which is unfortunate since the great majority of fans would love to see the band be productive again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

If I were to  come with a suggestion: The band/management is not entirely convinced we fans will appreciate new music. To them, all we do is complain. They tend to focus on the criticism and not see the praise. Which is unfortunate since the great majority of fans would love to see the band be productive again.

Tonight will be very telling. It'll dictate whether show 1 really was riddled with "technical problems" and it just wasn't the right feel for doing the "new songs" in front of a crowd. That could be, at the very least, understood.  Tonight will cement whether this tour is a complete waste of everyone's time.

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

That's the problem when you don't have professionals running the show. It becomes personal and they dig in, close ranks and it becomes spiteful. Very sad that it ends up this way. It's even worse than Axl's voice giving up, because the management scenario was totally avoidable. 

• Like 2

Just now, sofine11 said:

Tonight will cement whether this tour is a complete waste of everyone's time.

I wouldn't bet Hardskool is going to be played today, either, but I am pretty confident we will get to hear it at some point during the tour.

As for this show defining whether it is a waste of everybody's time, I wouldn't dare speaking for others but personally I wouldn't mind seeing this show if they came around my parts. 

• Like 2

Just now, SoulMonster said:

I wouldn't bet Hardskool is going to be played today, either, but I am pretty confident we will get to hear it at some point during the tour.

As for this show defining whether it is a waste of everybody's time, I wouldn't dare speaking for others but personally I wouldn't mind seeing this show if they came around my parts. 

I think, by rule, giving this group the benefit of the doubt to do the obvious/smart/timely/fun thing for fans is always a VERY dangerous bet.  It's like an old friend who keeps fucking up his life, but dammit, you've gone this far, can't leave now.