Hard School

9 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

I think, by rule, giving this group the benefit of the doubt to do the obvious/smart/timely/fun thing for fans is always a VERY dangerous bet.  It's like an old friend who keeps fucking up his life, but dammit, you've gone this far, can't leave now. 

I think I have the mindset to just focus on the overall music and not pay particular attention to stuff that I don't like, whether that is Axl not having a good day or covers I don't like or long solos... and be sufficiently drunk to not let details ruin a party.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

I think I have the mindset to just focus on the overall music and not pay particular attention to stuff that I don't like, whether that is Axl not having a good day or covers I don't like or long solos... and be sufficiently drunk to not let details ruin a party.

If I had the cash burn (I don't) I'd go to the Wrigley field show just to do the same.  Can't deny anyone a great time, that's for sure.

It's just a bummer that to enjoy GNR as a fan in 2021 means having to completely surrender your expectations.  It's like going to a game knowing there is a 99.9% your team is going to lose.  But you still have an appreciation for the sport, so you still go to support them.  It's not super natural that GNR fans are acting wildly jaded these days.

• Like 1

Just now, SoulMonster said:

I'm not sure 'being sufficiently drunk' is what I want from a concert! I'd kind of like to enjoy it and not be off my face! Not really a ringing endorsement "you need to be sufficiently drunk to enjoy a GNR concert these days"! 

Especially not given the prices involved! 

5 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

If I had the cash burn (I don't) I'd go to the Wrigley field show just to do the same.  Can't deny anyone a great time, that's for sure.

It's just a bummer that to enjoy GNR as a fan in 2021 means having to completely surrender your expectations.  It's like going to a game knowing there is a 99.9% your team is going to lose.  But you still have an appreciation for the sport, so you still go to support them.  It's not super natural that GNR fans are acting wildly jaded these days.

To me it's been a downward trend since 1988 with some peaks in 2006 and 2010, so I am way ahead of you.

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'm not sure 'being sufficiently drunk' is what I want from a concert! I'd kind of like to enjoy it and not be off my face! Not really a ringing endorsement "you need to be sufficiently drunk to enjoy a GNR concert these days"! 

Especially not given the prices involved! 

Just talking about having a buzz that makes it harder to nitpick on details. But alcohol doesn't work the same for everyone.

To me it's been a downward trend since 1988 with some peaks in 2006 and 2010, so I am way ahead of you.

Just talking about having a buzz that makes it harder to nitpick on details. But alcohol doesn't work the same for everyone.

Oh, I agree - I like a drink! I just don't want a drink to be NECESSARY for me to enjoy something! 

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Oh, I agree - I like a drink! I just don't want a drink to be NECESSARY for me to enjoy something! 

It isn't for me, either, I just get bored easily and some beers are mandatory at gigs.. and has the added benefit of helping me enjoy what is great and not focus on what isn't :D

On 7/29/2021 at 6:46 PM, Joraz said:

Hi Guys,

kinda wanna discuss with yall the possibility of us hearing Hard School this time or if im too naive for my own good. I think we’re in for a killer tour and im not sure whether ill get disappointed as i was Mexico 2020 or if itll be all new showing signs of hope.

K out of the loop. Is this a new GNR song?

It isn't for me, either, I just get bored easily and some beers are mandatory at gigs.. and has the added benefit of helping me enjoy what is great and not focus on what isn't :D

I'm sure I would absolutely enjoy any of these shows if I was drunk. Which isn't really praise! 

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

I wouldn't bet Hardskool is going to be played today, either, but I am pretty confident we will get to hear it at some point during the tour.

As for this show defining whether it is a waste of everybody's time, I wouldn't dare speaking for others but personally I wouldn't mind seeing this show if they came around my parts. 

My bet is on the 3rd or 4th show, I'd love to be proved wrong and for the song to be played tonight though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sofine11 said:

Tonight will be very telling. It'll dictate whether show 1 really was riddled with "technical problems" and it just wasn't the right feel for doing the "new songs" in front of a crowd. That could be, at the very least, understood.  Tonight will cement whether this tour is a complete waste of everyone's time.

Ah, there is always something that keeps us being strung along, right? Mexico show, we all waited in anticipation only to assume, "Well, they knew the world was shutting down so it wasn't the right time for new music." Hershey was "technical problems." I wonder what excuse we'll need to come up with after tonight?

I remember one fanboy tried to reason that they can't just decide on a whim to play new music because they need to put together graphics for any song they play. As if it'd be so difficult to just go to a feed of the live concert on the big screens. We have Stockholm syndrome. 

All caution made. Every chance was given ... But you had to play it cool, had to do it your way;
had to be a fool, had to throw it all away.

Edited by GnR Chris

Just now, GnR Chris said:

Ah, there is always something that keeps us being strung along, right? Mexico show, we all waited in anticipation only to assume, "Well, they knew the world was shutting down so it wasn't the right time for new music." Hershey was "technical problems." I wonder what excuse we'll need to come up with after tonight?

It'll be 'maybe at the next show.....' as it always is! 

Edited by allwaystired

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

It'll be 'maybe at the next show.....' as it always is! 

I guess what I mean is that, sure, they may bust out "Hard Skool" randomly at like the 3rd gig, but by *not* releasing it as a single to promote these shows they have, once again, done both themselves and the fans an incredible diservice.

It'd be neat for handful of folks at the shows who understand it's the first new GNR song with Slash since forever, and the remaining fans on the forums would dig the videos, but it will have served no purpose as far as doing anything constructive for the band.

Just now, sofine11 said:

I guess what I mean is that, sure, they may bust out "Hard Skool" randomly at like the 3rd gig, but by *not* releasing it as a single to promote these shows they have, once again, done both themselves and the fans an incredible diservice.

It'd be neat for handful of folks at the shows who understand it's the first new GNR song with Slash since forever, and the remaining fans on the forums would dig the videos, but it will have served no purpose as far as doing anything constructive for the band.

Can't disagree with that. It's such a weird one, as most people who have the slightest interest in hearing it already have. 

Even a live album release would have served as a bit of a promotion for these shows. 

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

Can't disagree with that. It's such a weird one, as most people who have the slightest interest in hearing it already have. 

Even a live album release would have served as a bit of a promotion for these shows. 

I remember one of the 3 guys I went to go see GNR with at a very full Allstate Arena (Chicago) in 2006 was on the phone with his brother right after the show.  His brother was on speaker in the car and asked him if they played any new songs.  Buy buddy, a casual rock fan, replied "Not a lot, I think just one actually." while looking at me for confirmation. They played five. And that's with all "mystique" leading up to Chinese Democracy.  

Point being, if they're not releasing it as a promoted single, it will essentially mean fuck all to most people.

• Like 1

Just now, sofine11 said:

I remember one of the 3 guys I went to go see GNR with at a very full Allstate Arena (Chicago) in 2006 was on the phone with his brother right after the show.  His brother was on speaker in the car and asked him if they played any new songs.  Buy buddy, a casual rock fan, replied "Not a lot, I think just one actually." while looking at me for confirmation. They played five. And that's with all "mystique" leading up to Chinese Democracy.  

Point being, if they're not releasing it as a promoted single, it will essentially mean fuck all to most people.

Oh totally. They'll just assume it's something off CD they haven't heard or (if the band say nothing about it) a cover! 

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

Oh totally. They'll just assume it's something off CD they haven't heard or (if the band say nothing about it) a cover! 

Exactly. So even in the best case scenario, which for today is them playing HS tonight, they will still end up shitting the bed by not subsequently releasing it as a polished single people can immediately look up on whatever streaming service.  Slash must be struggling to stay sober with this nonsense.

Just now, sofine11 said:

Exactly. So even in the best case scenario, which for today is them playing HS tonight, they will still end up shitting the bed by not subsequently releasing it as a polished single people can immediately look up on whatever streaming service.  Slash must be struggling to stay sober with this nonsense.

He's probably writing new tunes for SMKC in his head while he's playing onstage! 

• Like 2

Just now, allwaystired said:

He's probably writing new tunes for SMKC in his head while he's playing onstage! 

I can't be mad at Slash for playing ball with team-GNR for the money, but man, that's gotta be super frustrating. At the end of the day, another GNR album would be great for his "legacy" and I'm sure he knows that.  So, like the rest of us, he's locked in hoping beyond hope that Axl makes a sane call on that front one day.

• Like 1

I fully expect them to not play it at all if Axl can't get his voice together. Imagine the live debut of a new song being a horrid performance with him barely being able to sing. Best case scenario they release it as a single before it gets played live, then it won't be forever associated with a horrid live performance. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, invisible_rose said:

That's the problem when you don't have professionals running the show. It becomes personal and they dig in, close ranks and it becomes spiteful. Very sad that it ends up this way. It's even worse than Axl's voice giving up, because the management scenario was totally avoidable. 

That's one of the many, many problems with TB. Besides them being wildly unprofessional with the fans, they can't even come up with a decent excuse. 

So they're now claiming that new music isn't happening because the fans wouldn't be happy with new music? That's gotta be the funniest sad thing I've ever read on the forum. Hard core and casual fans have been begging for new music for years. Yet somehow TB turns that into an excuse why there isn't any......priceless. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

If I were to  come with a suggestion: The band/management is not entirely convinced we fans will appreciate new music. To them, all we do is complain. They tend to focus on the criticism and not see the praise. Which is unfortunate since the great majority of fans would love to see the band be productive again.

I take it this is just a hypothetical opinion as opposed to something TB has actually said?

Except for potential complications with the label (renegotiation of the contract), there's no reasonable excuse to not release Hardschool right now. GN'R has a tradition of debuting new songs live first, but this time releasing it before performing it is, for many reasons, the sensible thing to do.

It's not the next masterpiece, but it's totally acceptable, in my opinion, as a "new" Guns N' Roses song. and I think it will be well received by the majority of fans, both diehards and casuals, and by the media.

Of course not each and every hardcore fan will be happy (because it's not newly written, or Izzy isn't on it, or it's not WTTJ level, or Buckethead isn't on it, or they want the General, or it's "too little too late," or they're just too "cool" to like it...). That's because there are many different factions and tastes in the fanbase, and TB has to come to terms with that.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Except for potential complications with the label (renegotiation of the contract), there's no reasonable excuse to not release Hardschool right now. 

You mean apart from it being shit? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1