Hard School

On 8/3/2021 at 11:41 AM, sofine11 said:

I guess what I mean is that, sure, they may bust out "Hard Skool" randomly at like the 3rd gig, but by *not* releasing it as a single to promote these shows they have, once again, done both themselves and the fans an incredible diservice.

It'd be neat for handful of folks at the shows who understand it's the first new GNR song with Slash since forever, and the remaining fans on the forums would dig the videos, but it will have served no purpose as far as doing anything constructive for the band.

Same is true with what's just happened with Absurd.

45 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Agreed, should be a one-two punch with studio single quickly following. I imagine the studio versions are understandably leaps and bounds better.  Hiding those any longer only hurts them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Agreed, should be a one-two punch with studio single quickly following. I imagine the studio versions are understandably leaps and bounds better.  Hiding those any longer only hurts them.

They could play HS tomorrow then release single on Friday. Easy

• Like 2

Just now, MaskingApathy said:

They could play HS tomorrow then release single on Friday. Easy

Right, but that entails giving GNR the benefit of the doubt to do the obvious thing. 😂

If that’s the plan, today’s buzz is a good first step. If it’s not, it’s just a random song they played. 

• Like 2

Of course they held back a  lot of the best songs. 

Axl always have seen Chinese at least as a double and its more what type of songs will the album consists of. You cant have 10 short, hard rocking songs on one album and you cant have 10 grand ballads on one album, you have to divide them evenly between the albums. 

You can see it as a football team - you dont put 11 attackers on the field at once :D

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Hard School is a million miles better than Scraped & Riad. I don’t think it was a case of Hard School missing the cut. They were holding it back for a later album, similar to songs like You Could Be Mine, Don’t Cry, and November Rain. Those 3 songs were a lot better than the likes of Anything Goes & Out Ta Get Me. 

Hard School is Ok but to put it alongside the likes of You Could Be Mine, Don’t Cry or November Rain is silly IMO. Maybe it was pencilled in to be on a later album but I have to agree with the previous post, it wouldn’t be a main song regardless. I would put it in the same category as IRS - decent album song but nothing special. 

That said I would love to hear a completed version of it, with Slash.

5 minutes ago, dave94 said:

Hard School is Ok but to put it alongside the likes of You Could Be Mine, Don’t Cry or November Rain is silly IMO. Maybe it was pencilled in to be on a later album but I have to agree with the previous post, it wouldn’t be a main song regardless. I would put it in the same category as IRS - decent album song but nothing special. 

That said I would love to hear a completed version of it, with Slash.

I'm not saying Hard School is equal to YCBM, Don't Cry, or November Rain. I'm saying it's a million times better than two very shitty songs that made it onto Chinese Democracy. I'm also saying that YCBM, Don't Cry, and November Rain are a hell of a lot better than Anything Goes & Out Ta Get Me. You disagree with this?? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

I'm not saying Hard School is equal to YCBM, Don't Cry, or November Rain. I'm saying it's a million times better than two very shitty songs that made it onto Chinese Democracy. I'm also saying that YCBM, Don't Cry, and November Rain are a hell of a lot better than Anything Goes & Out Ta Get Me. You disagree with this?? 

I disagree with the notion that Hard School was considered so good it was held back specifically for it to be a highlight track for next album, it’s not that good, unfortunately.

It’s easy to see why NR or Don’t Cry weren’t on Appetite, they didn’t fit stylistically despite being better songs than some on that album. I can’t see why Hard School was left off Chinese if it was considered good enough. Maybe Axl did view it in the same mould as YCBM, after all he thinks Absurd is a good pick for a comeback single so who knows what his plan was.

11 minutes ago, dave94 said:

I disagree with the notion that Hard School was considered so good it was held back specifically for it to be a highlight track for next album, it’s not that good, unfortunately.

It’s easy to see why NR or Don’t Cry weren’t on Appetite, they didn’t fit stylistically despite being better songs than some on that album. I can’t see why Hard School was left off Chinese if it was considered good enough. Maybe Axl did view it in the same mould as YCBM, after all he thinks Absurd is a good pick for a comeback single so who knows what his plan was.

Then please explain the inclusion of Scraped & Riad on the album. They are the definition of garbage filler. Compared to them, Hard School is absolutely good enough to hold back for another album. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, betterman said:

I think Hardschool may be better than YCBM (allready better) and Dont cry in its final version

I really like Hard School. It's one of the better songs involving Axl over the last 25 years. But those two classic songs are pretty difficult to match or beat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, betterman said:

Of course they held back a  lot of the best songs. 

Axl always have seen Chinese at least as a double and its more what type of songs will the album consists of. You cant have 10 short, hard rocking songs on one album and you cant have 10 grand ballads on one album, you have to divide them evenly between the albums. 

You can see it as a football team - you dont put 11 attackers on the field at once :D

Shame that Axl seems to have used 11 goalies at once. :lol: 

On 8/4/2021 at 7:51 PM, MaskingApathy said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Axl wouldn't release Absurd until it was played live and he saw how it went over. I mean, he even made a crack before they played it about it being 'absurd' they're even trying it.  Odd way to introduce you're new single.

1 minute ago, Modano09 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Axl wouldn't release Absurd until it was played live and he saw how it went over. I mean, he even made a crack before they played it about it being 'absurd' they're even trying it.  Odd way to introduce you're new single.

So they played it once live before they decided to release it (Fenway), at MetLIfe he announced they were releasing it before it was played.  What, exactly was Axl's gauge for how it "went over"?  Did they take some poll we aren't aware of?  Did they measure crowd response?   I mean what the fuck does this even mean?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RasmusGuns said:

Yes it was. I saw a video on YouTube

Detroit ?

5 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I've long since stopped guessing what this bands future plans are, but I have a hunch that we're going to get Hard School single release in the next week or two.

That soon after Absurd seems not logical....but it's GNR so anything is possible.
I hope you are right.