Forum Service Outage

downzy

On 8/9/2021 at 2:26 AM, Powderfinger said:

So only certain people can partake in the conversation while the show is on? 

It's open for Club Members.  The Discussion and News section is re-opened as soon as the show finishes.  

15 hours ago, downzy said:

It's open for Club Members.  The Discussion and News section is re-opened as soon as the show finishes.  

So only certain people can partake in the conversation while the show is on. You only want to hear certain people’s opinions during the show. That’s obvious. 

I dunno, no disrespect, but with having  had a post or two deleted, and seen the same for others, the no links policy in the forum, it’s all a little fascist when I look at some other music forums and definitely other GnR forums.

Someone is being kept happy somewhere........

Initially, your statement that the website received a high volume of users during shows made sense to close the site down. But then the other forums are left online during the gigs. 
So An assholes question, but what’s to stop someone creating a thread about the gig in the “my world” section or any of the other forums left online. 

55 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

So only certain people can partake in the conversation while the show is on. You only want to hear certain people’s opinions during the show. That’s obvious. 

I dunno, no disrespect, but with having  had a post or two deleted, and seen the same for others, the no links policy in the forum, it’s all a little fascist when I look at some other music forums and definitely other GnR forums.

Someone is being kept happy somewhere........

Initially, your statement that the website received a high volume of users during shows made sense to close the site down. But then the other forums are left online during the gigs. 
So An assholes question, but what’s to stop someone creating a thread about the gig in the “my world” section or any of the other forums left online. 

The no links policy isn't of our choosing. We'd rather not do it but after several complaints made to our hosting company we had no choice. If we ignored it we'd lose our hosting. There's no conspiracy from our side and we aren't doing it to keep anybody happy. It certainly doesn't make us happy which is why I apologise when I remove the videos members post.

Keeping threads to club members whilst a show is live serves a few purposes, it reduces the volume of traffic hitting the forum in one go, gives something back to those who helped out with costs and makes the live thread a little easier to moderate.

We do open the section up again right after the show finishes so everybody does have the opportunity to discuss from that point onwards.

Threads opened in other sections would just be closed. 

I really think you're reading way too much into this. If someone is dead against becoming a club member for whatever reason, as you point out, there are other forums, there's also a reddit sub, numerous discords and Facebook groups where anyone can go chat during a live show. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

So only certain people can partake in the conversation while the show is on.

Anyone can partake, so long as they become Club Members.

53 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

You only want to hear certain people’s opinions during the show.

Not at all.  There's a wide range of opinions by those posting in the show threads while the show is going on.  You're more than welcome to read through each show thread to see what I mean.  And you're more than welcome to post once the show is over and the GNR D&N section is re-opened to all members.

55 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

We don't allow links because if we did the forum would not exist.  Our host provider has already told us that failure to moderate and remove links to unlicensed video will result in the termination of our hosting agreement.  We hate it, but it's the only way we can still exist.  Other GNR forums face the same issue.

Posts are deleted because they do not comply with our stated policies.  Moderators almost always provide reasons either publicly or privately.

57 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Right.  We've reach the point where the forum's traffic has adapted to the new policy whereby we can keep the rest of the forum open for non-Club Members.  Sufficient people bought club memberships and volume remains high enough to support increased traffic.  Since many people bought club memberships on the premise that it was the only way to join the discussion during live shows, it would be unreasonable to suddenly re-open the forum again for everyone.

58 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

but what’s to stop someone creating a thread about the gig in the “my world” section or any of the other forums left online. 

Moderators.

59 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Good book.  I prefer Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

• Like 1

Oh I just found out about this. I see it as something absolutely fair, I mean, this forum has given me a really good place to express myself about this band whenever I want (and that's pretty valuable since nobody else I know wants me to say another word about GN'R again lmao). I'll be happy to support the idea as soon as I can when I get paid ;)

• Thanks 1

Hey, not sure if this is the right thread, but: I finally got some money, so I’d like to repay whomever made me a club member, as I’ve promised (thanks again – I’ve had a pm convo about this). However, there’s not that “add to cart” option for me any longer, as I already am a member now. I’m not talking about making someone else a member, I just wanna send you a little acknowledgment – but don’t know how. I’m not too savvy about online payments, but I think I’ll handle it as long as it doesn’t require some special registrations etc. 
So any help appreciated. :)

4 hours ago, jamillos said:

Hey, not sure if this is the right thread, but: I finally got some money, so I’d like to repay whomever made me a club member, as I’ve promised (thanks again – I’ve had a pm convo about this). However, there’s not that “add to cart” option for me any longer, as I already am a member now. I’m not talking about making someone else a member, I just wanna send you a little acknowledgment – but don’t know how. I’m not too savvy about online payments, but I think I’ll handle it as long as it doesn’t require some special registrations etc. 
So any help appreciated. :)

Thanks. Please don't feel you have to right at this moment, people have already been very generous in the last couple of weeks.

If you do want to the easiest way to donate is via Paypal using this address: membership.mygnrforum@gmail.com

1 hour ago, alfierose said:

Thanks. Please don't feel you have to right at this moment, people have already been very generous in the last couple of weeks.

If you do want to the easiest way to donate is via Paypal using this address: membership.mygnrforum@gmail.com

Nevermind, done it anyway. Now I know Paypal, you learn something every day. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2