What actually happened with the "All new show"?

This is actually an honest/legit question... before Covid I believe that these shows were getting marketed as an all new show?  I know that was the case for the European shows at least that I have tickets for.

I think all of us can see that this is still the exact same show.  Which is fair enough if you didn't mention that it would be an all new show... 

But they did mention it, and then proceeded to play the same setlist in the exact same order as always.

Exactly. Promoters are obviously of the opinion that with over a year of no shows the fact there is a “show” is enough to market this on. With the cancellation of the Def Leppard/Motley tour it probably isn’t a bad shout. 

Given the fact the European tour is guaranteed to sell well, if an album release is going to be tied specifically to a tour..that might not be needed for quite some time.

Slash releasing a conspirators album early 2022 might not be a good sign either. 

Edited by reayj2003

Eh? It was an all new show? They cut 40 minutes from it and gave us I Wanna Be Your Dog? Never happy..."complaints complaints complaints"

In all seriousness, I did think there was a possibility that they may go with the tried and tested due to people being depraved of live music for so long, but I had convinced myself that they'd throw in a new song at the very least to indicate what lies ahead. That obviously didn't turn out to be the case, but now I'm just hoping that Hardschool wasn't played due to Axl having difficulty with his in ears, so I suppose we'll see what happens in Boston!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dean said:

Eh? It was an all new show? They cut 40 minutes from it and gave us I Wanna Be Your Dog? Never happy..."complaints complaints complaints"

In all seriousness, I did think there was a possibility that they may go with the tried and tested due to people being depraved of live music for so long, but I had convinced myself that they'd throw in a new song at the very least to indicate what lies ahead. That obviously didn't turn out to be the case, but now I'm just hoping that Hardschool wasn't played due to Axl having difficulty with his in ears, so I suppose we'll see what happens in Boston!

The promotion was a all new Duff performance. And damn what a terrible song it is imo

• GNFNR 1

It's a great question, summed up by Effort vs Return.

My guess is that an all new show costs a good whack of money. All new show means rehearsal rooms for months on end, getting techs and musicians in one spot being paid, it means hiring stage designers, lighting directors, video directors. Money.

Gnr are out on the road recouping losses from 2020. This tour is not "we missed you!!!" It's "we missed your cash". End of the day an all new set isn't necessary to sell tickets... I would however be curious to see the number of sold tickets vs discounted / free tickets though.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

Oh, you thought we were getting what we hoped for? No…that’s not how it works.

Fixed. I'll be honest, this is exactly what I was expecting. Just not what I'd hoped for. 

And I'm pretty devoid of all hope now. 

Dude in another thread called it - best we can ever hope for now is Hard Skool as part of the UIY anniversary product. 

5 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

This tour hasn't been branded as an all new show, they dropped "The Next Chapter" and replaced it with "We're F'N Back" with a "stomping Covid" tour poster, so Axl is using the pandemic as a selling point for the tour as an excuse to delay having to do a new show for at least another year.

It  was branded as an all new show though back before the pandemic on commercials here in my area and others, the words "All New Show" were used specifically. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

This tour hasn't been branded as an all new show, they dropped "The Next Chapter" and replaced it with "We're F'N Back" with a "stomping Covid" tour poster, so Axl is using the pandemic as a selling point for the tour as an excuse to delay having to do a new show for at least another year.

"ALL NEW SHOW" at the 0:15 mark.

I was hoping that they would have rehearsed the following songs even as alts to round out the setlist:

The Blues

Shacklers 

If The World 

Oh My God

Breakdown 

Move to The city 

Mama Kin

Pretty Tied Up

Think About You

Perfect Crime 

Right Next Door To Hell

Shotgun Blues 

Don't Cry (Alt.) 

Bad Obsession 

The Garden 

Edited by TOS--LOA

7 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

This is actually an honest/legit question... before Covid I believe that these shows were getting marketed as an all new show?  I know that was the case for the European shows at least that I have tickets for.

I think all of us can see that this is still the exact same show.  Which is fair enough if you didn't mention that it would be an all new show... 

But they did mention it, and then proceeded to play the same setlist in the exact same order as always.

In a nutshell? They lied. Again.

• Like 2

The only good thing I've heard is that Wolfgang Van Halen is opening a lot of the shows. I'd be more interested in seeing him with new music  than GNR $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The only good thing I've heard is that Wolfgang Van Halen is opening a lot of the shows. I'd be more interested in seeing him with new music  than GNR $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 2:42 AM, vloors said:

The promotion was a all new Duff performance. And damn what a terrible song it is imo

Great tune, but they’re doing a crap version of it. Check out the original, and put yourself in 1969... 

Edited by Powderfinger

technically not lying, I mean the shows are shortened versions of the previous tour it seems, before it seemed the shows were close to the 3 hour mark and this go around it seems like they are closer to the 2 Hour mark, technically not lying but I am sure not the "All New" show those had in mind if they were buying a ticket