Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I like the new name better than Silkworms, but I prefer the village sessions demo. All that demo needed was the guitar parts that were missing, the removal of that annoying black & decker kind of sound, the absurd line and the new acapella and there's your song.

The one they played yesterday sounds more like the 2006 Bumblefoot version, which I don't like as much. All in all it was great that they played that song, because we hadn't seen them rehearsing it, and it was a total surprise.

I hope the studio version is as close as possible to that first industrial demo (but I know it probably isn't). The whole intro and industrial guitar vibe is so cool! It would be a waste not to get that version released in my opinion.

Edited by Propaganda
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get that many of you are excited for this, but I’d like you all to remember your feelings towards shadow of your love in 2018 when they called it a “new” song. I remember how angry a lot of you were then, that are happy and satisfied with this now. We have waited 13 years to even hear a glimpse of something new, and they dust off a song that was played live already in 2001, and they call it the first new song. You can make the case that this would be the same way if they played hard skool Instead but my counter argument is, hard skool was never played live before, and never heard unless you’re a diehard that got ahold of the leaks. If you had directv in 2001, you already heard Absurd 20 years ago. I guess there’s not much point to this rant other than I’m disgusted that this is what I waited 13 years for..... silkworms

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I decided to check setlist.fm today to see what they played and I couldn’t believe they would play silkworms of all fucking songs. Why? They have others that are far better, but I guess it’s good we’re getting a “new” song

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m speechless. How the hell dis they manage to get the worst song they ever performed live and, 20 years later, present it as a new song, sounding even worse? That takes talent. I mean… you got 20 years to improve the song, get people’s opinions, come up with something good, you get help from Slash, Duff, a revolving door of musicians along the way and yet - it sounds worse than any other song in the GnR catalog lol.

 

I was worried a new GnR album would be half assed like the Slash and Myles songs but man… that stuff is much better than Absurd! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Cosmo said:

I’m speechless. How the hell dis they manage to get the worst song they ever performed live and, 20 years later, present it as a new song, sounding even worse? That takes talent. I mean… you got 20 years to improve the song, get people’s opinions, come up with something good, you get help from Slash, Duff, a revolving door of musicians along the way and yet - it sounds worse than any other song in the GnR catalog lol.

 

I was worried a new GnR album would be half assed like the Slash and Myles songs but man… that stuff is much better than Absurd! 

This......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Gimpy Hewitt said:

I get that many of you are excited for this, but I’d like you all to remember your feelings towards shadow of your love in 2018 when they called it a “new” song. I remember how angry a lot of you were then, that are happy and satisfied with this now. We have waited 13 years to even hear a glimpse of something new, and they dust off a song that was played live already in 2001, and they call it the first new song. You can make the case that this would be the same way if they played hard skool Instead but my counter argument is, hard skool was never played live before, and never heard unless you’re a diehard that got ahold of the leaks. If you had directv in 2001, you already heard Absurd 20 years ago. I guess there’s not much point to this rant other than I’m disgusted that this is what I waited 13 years for..... silkworms

I do agree with you on a lot of points here, the difference though is that SOYL was officially released in 1992 and it was played to promote the reissue of AFD. Silkworms was never officially released and it returns now under a new title with nothing else but a potential forthcoming album to promote.

Is Absurd a new song? No, it was played 20 years ago. But that was the case for Don't Cry, Back Off Bitch and Perfect Crime as well, although that was only five years prior to release. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I do agree with you on a lot of points here, the difference though is that SOYL was officially released in 1992 and it was played to promote the reissue of AFD. Silkworms was never officially released and it returns now under a new title with nothing else but a potential forthcoming album to promote.

Is Absurd a new song? No, it was played 20 years ago. But that was the case for Don't Cry, Back Off Bitch and Perfect Crime as well, although that was only five years prior to release. :)

Good point here on SOYL, I guess the band themselves didn’t promote it as new, but I remember Fernando calling it a new song on Reddit. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In short, as of last night we have Absurd aka Silkworm. Not necessarily my cup of tea...but at least it's positive news. Do you think there's any hope that in one of these next dates they'll bring out Hard Skool too?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Absurd, right? The song that was hands-down the most ridiculed and shunned of the original 5 live song batch (w/ CD-Maddy-The Blues-Riad), that it became a cult item, a so-bad-its-good deep cut.

Everybody's pining for Hardschool, Axl brings out this... again... which is funny by its own right; as if he would've picked the worst possible bone to throw at the hardcores hankering for new live songs.

The very fact that Absurd (Silk Worms) is a hardcore cult item, raising strong opinions in these circles, makes it a bone aimed especially at the hardcores. 'Chew on this, you lot.' And what happens?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

Jesus. I admire people who are excited about this, but fuck me. This is awful music. The starvation is real if this is what we have to get excited about.

I’m glad it’s generating enthusiasm in a roundabout way, but what a low bar. GNR is like the hot girl who keeps feeding guys all these scraps and leading them on, knowing that they will never have a chance.

As the great Lemmy used to say….the chase is better than the catch 🤣

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

Absolutely - what a missed opportunity it was to get real deep cuts as fans kept voting for the regular stuff 🤦‍♂️

The folk who DID vote for stuff like Frayed get my 👏….think it was only played 3 times!

I went to the Metallica by request show.. with your ticket You would get a code  to enter a website and choose your setlist. Then at the show the last song was chose with sms with your phone for a price of course. We didn't like it by then because we spent a Lot of money for the ticket and the votation suposed to be over on the website ... Sorry if My English is Absurd but i'm from Argentina 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, agustingloger said:

I went to the Metallica by request show.. with your ticket You would get a code  to enter a website and choose your setlist. Then at the show the last song was chose with sms with your phone for a price of course. We didn't like it by then because we spent a Lot of money for the ticket and the votation suposed to be over on the website ... Sorry if My English is Absurd but i'm from Argentina 🤣

That rings a bell actually….does seem a bit cheeky to pay extra on top of the ticket (MetallicA are normally pretty good with that).

And your English is pretty good….100% better than my Argentinian 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DTJ80 said:

That rings a bell actually….does seem a bit cheeky to pay extra on top of the ticket (MetallicA are normally pretty good with that).

And your English is pretty good….100% better than my Argentinian 🤣

Yeah but they are pretty good delivering a great show everytime and all the rest we would want GNR to do

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing is for sure - all eyes will be on tomorrow’s gig….just playing Absurd has got us all in a right state 🤣. I genuinely think the feedback from social media AND the fact the band had a blast playing it means they are more like to go ‘fuck it’ and throw in more alts.

Hardschool or OMG would be dynamite. :headbang:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, agustingloger said:

Yeah but they are pretty good delivering a great show everytime and all the rest we would want GNR to do

Yeah - we were talking on another thread where MetallicA at worst is never lower than 7/10 which is quite something . GNR definitely varies from brilliant (Houston) to really bad (Hershey/Berlin) 🤣

Edited by DTJ80
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At least they have scaled back the chinese democracy songs on this tour compared to previous.  But then again those songs gave everyone a chance to go take a piss break or get more beer.  But the absurd song is horrible.  How bout play some Slash's snakepit instead?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BadApples87 said:

At least they have scaled back the chinese democracy songs on this tour compared to previous.  But then again those songs gave everyone a chance to go take a piss break or get more beer.  But the absurd song is horrible.  How bout play some Slash's snakepit instead?!

Well, probably because Axl still doesnt like those Snakepit songs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...