2 hours ago, fantomas said:

You want us to appreciate Silkworms and cream our pants over it? Are you serious? A song that was shitty in 2001 and is just as, if not more shitty now. The song that was so shitty it was left off of Chinese Democracy, which was full of shitty songs.

Just because the band has given us something different, it doesn't mean it's good or welcome.  

Well put haha

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TeeJay410 said:

I actually like silkworms, don't mind the verses, Slash's feel adds an element to it that avtually makes it sound like GN'R, but I did not imagine they could find a worse chorus to the song until I heard Axl yell "ABSURD!"

A shitty song remains a shitty song in this case, no matter who plays on it. :shrugs:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sleep said:

The fact that Hard School is what people are holding out hope for shows you how low the bar is. Blows my mind they're trying to rework decades old material with Slash & Duff rather than coming up with anything new. 

Same here, that and the fact lyrics like Pussy full of maggots is really going to go down well in this day and age. I mean, like we’ve got a children’s book people, and a twenty year old song with pussies full of fly larvae! 😳

• Haha 1

I was wondering the same thing, when will Absurd be released on Spotify or whatever.  then I thought about it this way "what's the most GNR way to pimp this new song"  and the answer came to me:

Absurd, the children's book:  Uncle Axl explains to you and your brother why I'm leaving your mother.

TB:  YOU ARE WELCOME. 

lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I admire them doing something outside the ordinary setlist. I actually have no problem with Silkworms/Absurd if it was just supposed to be an album track or b-side. As long as they know it's not a single, and by Axl saying at the end "see, we never run out of those songs" I think they know it's all a bit tongue in cheek.

• Thanks 1

If I'm going to be honest, it doesn't sound like a very good track. I thought most people didn't really care for Silkworms that much to begin with. A song like Better absolutely destroys it. It definitely has deep cut written all over it.

2 hours ago, Sleep said:

The fact that Hard School is what people are holding out hope for shows you how low the bar is. Blows my mind they're trying to rework decades old material with Slash & Duff rather than coming up with anything new. 

I thought I was the only person that thought Hard School wasn't that good.

Edited by Ak1nney
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Yeah that's been the theme thus far with Silkworms and Hard School. 

I disagree. Rock the Rock was good, vocally.

SOYL has new vocals too.

3 hours ago, Gimpy Hewitt said:

I meant any other new stuff other than hardschool

Oh ok

2 hours ago, Sleep said:

We don't know that they haven't come up with new stuff as well as worked on old stuff.

3 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

SOYL has new vocals too.

Oh ok

We don't know that they haven't come up with new stuff as well as worked on old stuff.

SOYL is probably at the same level as My World and Silk Worms in fact i still think My world is better than the 3 i hat SOYL and i'd chose Silk worms over it just cause its retardely different

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Here's the channel from the 5.1 disc with the vocals really high in the mix: https://voca.ro/1bp3VO6O8FZe

Which lines were re-recorded?

I'll listen to it tomorrow with headphones but I think all of it was redone. He can do them line by line so that they sound good.

Any chance you can send me all the channels for that song?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

It's hilarious seeing how negative the reactions are of the audiences across music media. The media's response seems quite positive, but the consumer response is extremely negative, lol.

Yeah it's a song that is only going to resonate with a small amount of people.  I don't think industrial fans are ever going to get into GnR at this point even if they do a kick ass industrial album.  GnR realistically isn't going to expand their fanbase so if they put out something not in that realm it's probably going to be met pretty negatively by most.

Only a handful of gunners (like me) wanted that full oh my god like industrial album back in 2000 lol. Most just want classic rock and that's fine

15 hours ago, fantomas said:

Yep, the joke's on me.  I've been on this forum since it was a bulletin board, that been for almost 25 years, mate. It's the same recycled bullshit, over and over and over and over. As a fan you should demand better from this band. One album in 30 years is not good enough. Hanging on to a legacy of a flawed album is not good enough. A piss take of a song where the band is quite literally laughing at us is not good enough. The Chinese Democracy era has to end. We've been on this path since 2001 and the House of Blues show. Aren't you bored of this? 

As AFD mutated into UYI, the evolution was and still is Chinese Democracy wether you like it or not. Thats still the road ahead for now. Remember Chinese was supposed to be a double album. Well this is the continuation of that with the will of Axl doing it with Slash as it was intended in the first place. Now Slash is on the same page so that is the future

Edited by valengf

Remember how Slash and Duff were supposedly holding Axl back from recording such forward-thinking music in the 90s... Remember how much those stories dictated the narrative for twenty years or so? 

This is that progressive music. 

This has to be Slash and Duff's attempt to show Axl that they're on board with his ideas to hopefully convince him to go into the studio. I feel embarrassed for them that they 1) had to learn this song 2) had to let their wives/kids/friends watch them playing this song. 

But then I remember that they're making millions upon millions of dollars to get up there on stage with Axl... so... congratulations...? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, valengf said:

As AFD mutated into UYI, the evolution was and still is Chinese Democracy wether you like it or not. Thats still the road ahead for now. Remember Chinese was supposed to be another album. Well this is the continuation of that with the will of Axl doing it with Slash as it was intended in the first place. Now Slash is on the same page so that is the future

That's still bullshit. UYI and CD are poles apart.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Nintari said:

It's not the same without the "What can I do? With a bitch like you" line. The changes makes me question whether it was woke-related. I sure hope not.

The chorus was removed back in 2006 or sometime before. I highly doubt it has anything to do with trying to be PC. Just listen to the rest of the lyrics :lol:

Edited by LlamaRenegade
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

26 minutes ago, Nintari said:

It's not the same without the "What can I do? With a bitch like you" line. The changes makes me question whether it was woke-related. I sure hope not.

How can a song which has 'Pussy full of maggots' as a lyric be woke? I agree that the 'bitch' line was awesome, but in a way, Absurd works because it gives breathing room for Slash and Fortus to work their magic. I look at this song similar to Double Talkin' Jive, which has a lot of instrumental focus.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 1