1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Did you forget that the last song on UYI II was My World? "Foreshadowing" of what lay ahead, and Axl already knew that in 1991. It's no coincidence CD and this song is where we ended up going.

Sorry I forgot about that glorious song :lol:

One misplaced song out of 30 does not indicate a journey like this IMO.

I see several referring to Axl commenting: "We never run out of love songs" after Absurd is finished, I believe he says "We never run out of those songs" as in we are not finished/forgotten the old songs from CD sessions - and they will probably be a good chunk of old songs IF an album sees the light of day,

Just now, betterman said:

I see several referring to Axl commenting: "We never run out of love songs" after Absurd is finished, I believe he says "We never run out of those songs" as in we are not finished/forgotten the old songs from CD sessions - and they will probably be a good chunk of old songs IF an album sees the light of day,

Nah sorry he definitely said 'love'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, betterman said:

I'm pretty sure he said 'love songs' being sarcastic as fuck? I can't imagine he's referring to a vault of music that a good 90% of the crowd has no idea about. 

It just blows my freaking mind that 5 years into the reunion the level of despair among the fan base and band itself has reached a point that a reworked Silkworms was deemed something worthy of wasting any time on.

Think of what they accomplished in a 5 year period between 86-91 when it comes to quality original material.

We have fallen so far now that reworking Silkworms is a thing they thought the public needed to hear.

God help us all.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I think at this point in time, I'm just confused. 

Of course this band pulls me back. I got really mad at them during the pandemic and virtually stopped listening to them altogether, and yet here i am. 

To put all of this craziness into perspective, since this creative endeavor known as "Absurd" has been written, a little band by the name of The Killers have risen to stardom, ridden the fame wave of your modern alternative rock band, and all but solidified their name every other year from here to eternity for every major festival from California to New York. 

They've also put out 7 albums in the same amount of time. 3 of those have been in the time that Axl, Slash, and Duff have been back on stage together. 

I make this comparison not because I think GNR is in any way related to The Killers, regardless of the number of albums each band has. 

My point is that there are whole ass bands that have literally started and even had their careers ended in the amount of time it's taken Axl to release ANY of these songs that he's been so called "working on" for over 20 years. Hell, you could say since Silkworms was written, Joey Jordison of Slipknot rose to fame, wrote 4 albums with that band, was fired from that band, AND died in the same amount of time. People have lived lives in that time period. Shit has HAPPENED in that time period. 

Meanwhile, it's all a joke. The set up for the song and everything was weird, even by 2016-now Axl standards. Dare I say he sounded nervous? The "TAKE THAT AND GET THAT GUY OUT OF HERE" guy got nervous to sing brand "new" music??? It's the way he says "isn't that funny" and "you don't even know the joke yet" "ok this is called ABSURD." It just felt really awkward, even coming from Axl. Like it was all such a joke, he didn't know what to say. 

What is it about time that isn't in Axls favor? As a fan of this band, timing has to be a massive motif when it comes to the life and times of Axl Rose. It would seem time hasn't been in his favor since he decided it was time to get on that bus and leave Indiana. 

On the other hand, it's fun to see this iteration of the band play a song that we thought had been buried and locked away NINETEEN and a half years ago. How did this happen? Who approached who about this? Have they really been working on this in the studio enough to want to play it live, or is it one grand troll job? I have always loved little moments like this, no matter how small. 

I don't think it's all bad, even though i've seem to come down pretty harshly on it. I've actually always liked this song in a way, and the fact that they even played it has me crawling back here, putting on my peepers, and praying for some updoots, haha! 

From a music standpoint, I think taking the cool industrial intro away realllllly takes away from the song and was one of the only cool things about it. I also think Slash should add some estranged-esque soloing in the middle section. Frank counting it down in the live video seemed to really kill the vibe. If they have been working on new material, even if it is reworked Chi Dem material... they went with this? The "pussy full of maggots" song?

From a marketing perspective, it's the wrong time to announce an album. Maybe before Europe. Maybe. 

In my honest opinion, if all they've been working on is old Chinese Democracy material, they need to finish touring and literally lock themselves into a studio and write ONE original song. Slash has to be a contributing force. Imagine Axl on an Anastasia. Driving Rain. You're A Lie. you get my point..... Hell, even if Guns N' Roses had one song on their album that sounded like Breaking Rocks from Duff's Tenderness album with a couple of guests on the verses, it would sound more Guns N' Roses then this reworked nu-guns track...

I think if this tour is remembered for anything, it will be the amount of crazy shit thats happened in the past 5 years that hardcore GNR fans have had to deal with. Stuff like Slash basically playing all of Chinese Democracy before the stuff in his own catalogue, Axl singing Velvet Revolver songs, Rock The Rock, the leaks, and Steven Adler showing up and leaving out of nowhere just to name a few.... 

All of those things are Guns N' Roses to a T and moments like that will probably be better remembered than the actual music, which is all over 13 years old at this point. 

1 of 2 things probably happen next: 

1. "Absurd" writes it's page in GNR history and is played a few more times, or never again. 

2. It's played every fucking night and we are destined to argue over how "punk" Axl's voice sounded last night. 

"Maturity is often more absurd than youth and very frequently is most unjust to youth" - Thomas Edison 

Edited by KeyserSoze
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, betterman said:

I love it when we get to this point of over-analysing... :lol:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nikosgnr said:

I really missed the "What can I do? With a bitch like you". So I ended up playing the 2001 RIR,

The "new" version (sic) is the same with the one leaked back in 2019 by The Chairman.

I think this is evidence that they are still working on the CD era unreleased songs, even if they're also writing new material

I think they'll play it regularly from now on. Axl voice works for it. And, let's be honest, for the band it must be fun to play something different at this stage, whatever it is :shrugs: 

Besides I do believe Slash may love the lyrics. 'A pussy full of maggots'? Say no more. That's something for Slash's instagram :lol:

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, axl666 said:

I think this is evidence that they are still working on the CD era unreleased songs, even if they're also writing new material

They 're definitely working on CD era material. Slash has spoken about this several times.

As for really, really NEW stuff, I personally doubt about it.

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

Hell, you could say since Silkworms was written, Joey Jordison of Slipknot rose to fame, wrote 4 albums with that band, was fired from that band, AND died in the same amount of time. People have lived lives in that time period. Shit has HAPPENED in that time period. 

That's certainly one way to look at it. :lol:

RIP Joey.

4 hours ago, Free Bird said:

That's still bullshit. UYI and CD are poles apart.

This is always one topic which divides fans….I genuinely don’t think CD is THAT far removed from UYI. There are songs that could easily fit on UYI like Madagascar/TWAT/SOD. Granted there’s other stuff which is more out there but certainly for me there is a thread between the two. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I like the song. It's nothing special, but a fun, energetic rock song with a simple but effective guitar riff. Maybe not something I would listen to on repeat a lot, but definitely something that works well live and I would love to hear.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 2

I love it, makes the boomers still living in 1993 mad.  :lol:

The band was having tons of fun on-stage too performing it, great to see it instead of just doing the motions.  Hope it's played nightly from here on out, great sign of things to come.

• Like 2

I have mixed feelings about this song. Doesn't grow on me and not sure if it's really Slash's cup of tea. He's more into blues stuff and classic rock. 

But Axl has a way of getting them to play that stuff. 

Apart from that, I would happy to hear the rest of the CD II album with them as musicians. If we are honest, it could've been finished quite some ago. They had enough time.

10 minutes ago, blackmore said:

I have mixed feelings about this song. Doesn't grow on me and not sure if it's really Slash's cup of tea. He's more into blues stuff and classic rock. 

But Axl has a way of getting them to play that stuff. 

Apart from that, I would happy to hear the rest of the CD II album with them as musicians. If we are honest, it could've been finished quite some ago. They had enough time.

I think it would actually fit quite well on VRs Contraband. Listen to that album again and you'll see this song is not so unreasonable for Slash. Seems Axl likes VRs direction too since they play Slither all the time now.

• Like 1

Just now, StrangerInThisTown said:

I think it would actually fit quite well on VRs Contraband. Listen to that album again and you'll see this song is not so unreasonable for Slash. Seems Axl likes VRs direction too since they play Slither all the time now.

I haven't thought about that. But yes, you are right. 

14 minutes ago, blackmore said:

not sure if it's really Slash's cup of tea. He's more into blues stuff and classic rock. 

He's into a lot more than that, it's not like in GnR or his solo efforts there are only blues and classic rock influences to be found.

• Like 1