Absurd is a pretty bad song and it almost seemed like a joke to Axl.  That said, if they play one or two "new" songs at each show even if they are terrible, I'll be happy at the shows I attend.  Especially if they rotate a few by show so you don't always know the next song to be played.

One of the biggest things that I take away from this is that the bad looked like they were having fun for once. I've never liked the song, but watching them perform it was far more enjoyable then the entire rest of the set where they were going through the motions for years. 

• Like 4

Even 20+ years after it was originally performed, I'm still unsure whether or not I actually like it. 

The song is just so odd.

Certainly, the way this lineup is playing it, there's more vibes of a hard rock PiL as opposed to the Prodigy thing when it was more synth based.

More than anything else, Axl looked like he was having fun playing it. Hopefully there's that hunger to get more unheard/rarely played stuff into the set.

I'd probably still be going mental if I was there and they played it randomly like that though 😅

Edited by Bansidhe

I’m not embarrassed to say I love the original rio version. After playing “absurd” I 100% don’t want to hear any new music from them. So glad I didn’t get tickets to Met life. They’ve sounded terrible overall from all the vids I’ve seen. It’s over folks.

23 hours ago, Rodzilla72 said:

+1000 Russ @RussTCB  - and I'm astounded by this too: Does Axl really care that much about trolling the tiny percentage* of GnR fans who actually want to hear new music that he would add a revamped version of a 20 plus year old jam obviously recorded as a goof?

And then hitting it home with: “That was fun. So you heard it here first, a new Guns N’ Roses song.”

*(let's face it- 98% of the bros n bras at Fenway last night & at other shows could give a rat's ass for anything not played on WAAF/BCN back in the day.)

Regarding the "Is Axl trolling fans?" discussion- Just reposting this as it got buried yesterday.

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Add me to the list

It's a solid if unspectacular tune but if released as a single with contributions from the current lineup, would pretty much fit the mold of what casual punters expect GN'R to sound like.

If it was around when they were doing the Illusions then it could easily have been swapped over with something like Shotgun Blues.

They might have thought it would be a good idea to "troll" fans with this PoS song after 13 years of no new material but... it isn't.

The more I think about it, the more I realize it's the only explanation. They DO have decent songs on the vault. Hard School isn't a big deal but it's not THE worst song on their catalog like Silkworms/Absurd. Oh My God is a pretty good song, better than a few of the songs on CD, actually. Plus, we know they have some other ones that never got released at all. And still - they play this PoS version of a PoS song NO ONE ever appreciated. It's dreadful. It's awful. And they're not in a position to "troll" fans, like that. Seriously.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

What do you dislike about it? 

The riffs are boring as hell.. The main riff is the worst
The Chorus is terrible 
The fake English Accent
It sounds incohesive as the rest of CD stuff.. That little slow part is useless.

I don't mind the lyrics aside from the chorus but the music itself is dogshit..

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Add me to the list

Me too. Really like the verse melody in hard skool. The rest is pretty bland. I feel the same way about absurd. Like the verses (don't care about the lyrics). I feel the same about a lot of the cd-material; strong verse melodies, the rest? Nah.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

The riffs are boring as hell.. The main riff is the worst
The Chorus is terrible 
The fake English Accent
It sounds incohesive as the rest of CD stuff.. That little slow part is useless.

I don't mind the lyrics aside from the chorus but the music itself is dogshit..

Agreed but the lyrics are also garbage. This is like B-class Limp Bizkit. An outake from that shitty The Unquestionable Truth (Part 1) EP.

• Like 1