I have never liked this song, glad they didn’t put it on CD. That being said, I do like the guitar/riff parts in this song now. I still don’t know if I like the song. The lyrics are kind of lame and that break/slow part could be taken out. But, new GN’R (kind of) release. I was 28 when CD came out and 11 when Illusions was released. Sure would like a new album also. Let’s hope!

The fact that Axl pulled out this 20 year old turd and reworked it into something even more heinous is our worst fears materializing.

He had all the time in the world to “bury the past”. He chose to dig it up? What hopes are there for new music outside of reworked CD-era songs? And more importantly, what will become of them? 

• Like 1

we are ridiculed by non gunners for years, and try to prove them wrong with all we got, and now gnr does this?

but you know what, this is guns n roses, it's not have it your way. :DD

I hated when I was told ABsurd is a single, and now I love it cuz it's officially released. Admit it, we gunners are all fucking morons.

7 minutes ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

we are ridiculed by non gunners for years, and try to prove them wrong with all we got, and now gnr does this?

but you know what, this is guns n roses, it's not have it your way. :DD

I hated when I was told ABsurd is a single, and now I love it cuz it's officially released. Admit it, we gunners are all fucking morons.

Beggars can't be choosers

11 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I think it's the English accent rather than the register that has people scratching their heads. I mean Down on the farm is still a head fuck for me... Why the accent, why🤣

Probably because the original is in a heavy English accent - you just do it without really thinking. Also some of the pacing/syllabells/gaps will sound wierd/won't fit if you change the accent to west coast 'merican.

(Its by UK Subs - the clues in the name people).

Also 4 or 5 of the tunes were recorded during the Illusion sessions - so it might of just been a simple, get up, sing it, in the can - next!

Just now, Live Like a Suicide said:

You're on a post-release high, that's why. Lol.

Honestly, that's probably exactly it. 

I do like a lot of industrial music but this one is just sort of.....there.....it's not really special but it's not as awful as I expected. 

26 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I just took a listen and don't hate it as much as I thought I would. 

That’s the best we could expect for longtime fans like us. 

I’m honestly mixed about it. 

I’m trying to take my “it’s new GN’R so I’ll love it” glasses off and see it for what it is, and when I do, I’m wishing for a straight up rock album with Axl Slash n Duff. Not this shit…

But I do like that it’s an aggressive song, and Slash does bring that GN’R sound to it with the guitars, but the repeated “Absurd” parts sound rather absurd to me. 

• ABSUЯD 1

I love that I hear Slash and Duff on new material under the Guns N' Roses banner. I actually always liked Silkworms because as someone who was 11 when I first heard it (31 now) I liked the juvenile, profanity laden, angry lyrics. I guess that feeling never left due to nostalgia or whatever.  I dig it.

BUT: why does the "screaming fucking banshee" come in a beat early?!  When did Axl make that decision? It was the wrong one imho.  He sounds off the beat. I don't care if it was intentional or not, it doesn't sound like it was. Otherwise I'm thrilled with whatever they choose to put out. This is almost as bad as on Scraped when there's some sort of glitch when he says "sometimes I feel like MY life's a catastrophe" line. Maybe worse. I can't tell.  I just double checked the live versions. He doesn't do it on House of Blues 2001 and he doesn't do it at MetLife Stadium 2021. Why the fuck is it like that on the officially released single?

Edited by GnRDuff1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GnRDuff1 said:

BUT: why does the "screaming fucking banshee" come in a beat early?!  When did Axl make that decision? It was the wrong one imho.  He sounds off the beat. I don't care if it was intentional or not, it doesn't sound like it was.  

I have recorded one song and there was a part when my vocals came in a bit too early/offbeat, but it fit the vibe so it was kept like that. Maybe something like that happened when they were producing the song? A mistake, but something they thought sounded good, so they ran with it.

I like that it is offbeat. A little change in dynamics.

2 minutes ago, jekylhyde said:

I have recorded one song and there was a part when my vocals came in a bit too early/offbeat, but it fit the vibe so it was kept like that. Maybe something like that happened when they were producing the song? A mistake, but something they thought sounded good, so they ran with it.

I like that it is offbeat. A little change in dynamics.

If he had done it like that live, I'd probably be fine with it. But he hasn't. I don't mind it in theory, but it makes me feel like slapdashery abounds. 

• Like 1

A bit disappointing really. Strange song for a comeback.

The lyrics aren't great, and what is there is too repetitive. As the song itself is quite repetitive, though short, I think the lyrics need to fill in the space.

I went back to listen to the original silkworms and while not great it works better as there are a lot more lyrics in the chorus.

When you think of everything going on in the world, from climate breakdown, to increased instability across the globe, failures of economic systems- to be writing lyrics about this is actually uninspired. And that's coming from a massive Axl fan.

Edited by axl666

4 minutes ago, axl666 said:

A bit disappointing really. Strange song for a comeback.

The lyrics aren't great, and what is there is too repetitive. As the song itself is quite repetitive, though short, I think the lyrics need to fill in the space.

I went back to listen to the original silkworms and while not great it works better as there are a lot more lyrics in the chorus.

When you think of everything going on in the world, from climate breakdown, to increased instability across the globe, failures of economic systems- to be writing lyrics about this is actually uninspired. And that's coming from a massive Axl fan.

Well he wrote them 20 years ago. Before the internet, social media, 9/11, crysis, Trump, Covid... :D 

Welcome to the world of GN'R, where yesterday is tomorrow. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1