1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Silkworms / Absurd is the second worst song GN'R has ever recorded outside of My World. 

Having said that, I admire the action itself on a certain level. 

We wanted them to play something new.....they played something new. We wanted them to shake things up.....that song in particular is a big shake up. 

Slash & Duff playing on that God awful song from 20+ years ago is just so bizarre, but again, it's something different. 

In many ways, this is the most GN'R thing that GN'R has ever done. I still hate the song, but I admire the action itself. 

+1000 Russ @RussTCB  - and I'm astounded by this too: Does Axl really care that much about trolling the tiny percentage* of GnR fans who actually want to hear new music that he would add a revamped version of a 20 plus year old jam obviously recorded as a goof?

And then hitting it home with: “That was fun. So you heard it here first, a new Guns N’ Roses song.”

*(let's face it- 98% of the bros n bras at Fenway last night & at other shows could give a rat's ass for anything not played on WAAF/BCN back in the day.)

Edited by Rodzilla72
fix
  • Like 1

Just now, sofine11 said:

Everyone keeps saying it's the most GNR thing GNR has ever done. I'm allowing myself to enjoy this. :D

Totally. I'd take throwing in curve balls like this any day of the week rather than them just sticking in Pretty Tied Up or something. Progress is happening! 

Look at me - so damn positive! Time someone popped up to say "all you do is complain" isn't it?! 

Edited by allwaystired

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

The takeaway here is that CD II lives😄

I've been teased on this forum for years for suggesting Silkworms and the like will be utilized in future performances and releases. :D

Now I can say, told ya so! :P

I honestly didn't expect them to play Silkworms live though.

Maybe Oh My God is next!

Just now, Tom-Ass said:

So I hadn't heard the song since the RIR in 2001 or whenever it was.. They obviously changed the name of song.. Did they change anything else?

The version they played last night is similar to the studio version that leaked with Bumblefoot's guitar parts.

• Like 1

This song could be a real rocker if it weren't for the unfinished lyrics and lack of a chorus. Also the incredibly disgusting "p*ssy full of maggots"-line. As long as that line is in there I will hate that song.

The way it is now it's the worst GNR song out there. Pushed "Used to Love Her" down to No. 2.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

Another takeaway- IF a new album ever materializes, Fortus will also have leads

I suspect he will do a number of the Bumble/Bucket parts. I would imagine they will leave some Robin and Bucket parts there too.

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

So I hadn't heard the song since the RIR in 2001 or whenever it was.. They obviously changed the name of song.. Did they change anything else?

Got rid of the original chorus which was actually kinda cool, took away the electronic stuff, and added guitar leads. It's pretty much the same

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sweersa said:

I've been teased on this forum for years for suggesting Silkworms and the like will be utilized in future performances and releases. :D

Now I can say, told ya so! :P

I honestly didn't expect them to play Silkworms live though.

Maybe Oh My God is next!

I would love to hear Oh My God, but I don’t think Axl would be able to sing it well at all these days. That’s probably part of the reason they never performed it when it was an alt in 2018.

Edited by ApacheChief42
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

I'm most certain most of the words were cut out.  At least the pulsing full of maggots variety of lyrics.

1 minute ago, TheGeneral said:

This song could be a real rocker if it weren't for the unfinished lyrics and lack of a chorus. Also the incredibly disgusting "p*ssy full of maggots"-line. As long as that line is in there I will hate that song.

The way it is now it's the worst GNR song out there. Pushed "Used to Love Her" down to No. 2.

Exactly my thoughts! 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

This is how fucked up this band is... To make us all feel like this for Silkworms :awesomeface:

I have to say that I hated Silkworms, with Slash and Duffs tweaks I just strongly dislike it. I think this has to be a deep cut from the album rather than a lead single... surely?? The song title nailed it though. 

ALSO who the hell would have thought Richard would have as much solo spits as Slash??? What is happening??

1 minute ago, TheGeneral said:

I think that’s what it is for me too. I don’t even have a problem with the word p*ssy; it just seems kind of lazy to me. 

I didn't bother following the threads on any of the forums last night as I assumed nothing would change, at around 11:30 I decided to look on setlist.fm for the setlist but it hadn't been updated yet, so I went on a-4-d to see if they had a setlist. I thought I was fucking hallucinating when I clicked on the Fenway thread and saw this.

I'm excited for this because I felt recently that Axl was going to ditch the more industrial CD 2 tracks and just keep the ones like Hardschool and Atlas that sound more like classic GNR. If fucking Silkworms is still in the running surely Soul Monster & The General are a lock.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

Totally. I'd take throwing in curve balls like this any day of the week rather than them just sticking in Pretty Tied Up or something. Progress is happening! 

A while back I threw out there that I think it'd be neat if Slash gutted Silkworms and made it his own.  Knowing full well how many folks just don't dig the song, I am officially taking credit for willing this into reality. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Tom2112 said:

I have to say that I hated Silkworms, with Slash and Duffs tweaks I just strongly dislike it. I think this has to be a deep cut from the album rather than a lead single... surely?? The song title nailed it though. 

ALSO who the hell would have thought Richard would have as much solo spits as Slash??? What is happening??

At least Slash seems to like and respect Fortus. He gave him a guitar amp as a gift and had him play with his solo band. But yeah, nuts. I like Fortus so I'm fine with him getting leads, as long as Slash has more and the big ones

Also, no chance Silkworms is a single (well, anything goes with Axl...). I doubt that or Hard Skool would be singles for a new album but who knows. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Fuck man......god bless GN'R.

They are the absolute ONLY band on planet earth that could make me wait forever to hear a new song live. Then play a song from 20+ years ago that I absolutely hate, call it new and have me go "HOORAY!" 

Wild times for sure. Thank you by take care of us. Fenway was better than the old one. 

There's no "of" in "thank you by take care us". It's a often made mistake.

1 minute ago, sofine11 said:

A while back I threw out there that I think it'd be neat if Slash gutted Silkworms and made it his own.  Knowing full well how many folks just don't dig the song, I am officially taking credit for willing this into reality. :lol:

That would have been neat, but he plays the song exactly how it was just with solos. An all new Slash riff there could have been cool

If you had told me years ago that the first new song GNR would play with Slash would be silkworms I would’ve bet everything I owned against that. I didn’t think there was anyway silkworms would see the light of day again.

I would be homeless. I would’ve bet my house.

I don’t understand there’s Perhaps, State of Grace, Hardschool and who knows what else ready to go and they chose silkworms. That’s litterally the most Axl thing ever.

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 3