Do you like 'Absurd'?

Do you like 'Absurd'?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Pretty simple, do you like the 'new' song, 'Absurd'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Might grow on me
    • Not interested at all

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/14/2021 at 05:59 AM

yes?

no? 

grow on me?

not interested.

well it certainly isn't another 'nightrain' but who wants the same thing over and over again? thats just beyond boring.
*wasnt it originally a Pittman song??

Edited by ASLayerAODsk

Definitely not my first choice of a "new" song to be played but I thought the band did a great job on it. Axl looked like a kid having the time of his life out there. I'd like to see it live, but not impressed with slipping it in an abbreviated Nitl setlist. Hope they keep it in the rotation.

• Like 2

I really dug the original synth version of Silkworms. The House of Blues and Rio versions are great, and Axl's voice in this period is up there with the best of his career for me. The version the band played the other night, the biggest thing for me was the difference in Axl's approach to it. The way he sang it in 2001 was in a range that hasn't really been there for him in the last 10 years, minus AC/DC, but the fact they played something different is great. The guitar heavy approach to it, the Bumble leak as an example, isn't really to my liking and isn't as good as the original from the Village leaks, but even if it is officially released, I reckon it'll be grand, especially with a proper mix and Axl's older vocals.

I'm still in disbelief they decided to dust he cobwebs off of that.

• Like 2

Yeah, I've always loved the remix version of Silkworms more than the original version.

The original chorus was kinda cringy. I'm not saying that the new version is a lyrical masterpiece either, but I like the simplisctic approach of it.

It reminds me of Prodigy's very simple lyrics and also the energy of the song is very reminiscent of Prodigy.

It's a fun song that doesn't take itself too seriously.

I went with "hope it grows on me". I do actually really like Silkworms, but every iteration of it has been less exciting than the one before it IMO. The synth heavy, industrial version from The Village sessions/HOB/Rio remains my favorite. The guitar-heavy, yet still industrial version with BBF that leaked in 2018 was a step backwards for me, but I still enjoyed it. The NITL version sounds more like a punk song, and I'm not a fan of the way Axl is singing it based on the first performance. 

• Like 2

The technicality, the mood, the feel of the song is certainly interesting. Would I like to hear it played live? Sure thing, but then I'm sure that there are far superior songs in the arsenal, looking at the CD leftover leaks and all. Actually, in listening to it all over again, comparing it to Chinese Democracy is the same as comparing Perfect Crime to Appetite for Destruction! I like it! Especially the craziness of the song, that's for sure!

Edited by Screamin' Demon

It wasn’t good when they played it in 2001 and adding a repetitive yelling of Absurd has only made it worse. Also the weird fucking Medusa imagery in the background was fucking disgusting. 

Edited by Arnuld
  • Like 2

Sounded like shit. I used to like Silkworms. He’s got that Down on the Farm voice going on.

I would much rather hear the boys play straight out rock songs, bring it back to their roots of the Stones, AC/DC, Aerosmith and Axl could probably handle the vocals better. Like a song such as the Seeker. 

Might as well have Slash wearing a KFC bucket instead of his top hat, and Duff can swing some nunchucks around...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

Yeah, I've always loved the remix version of Silkworms more than the original version.

The original chorus was kinda cringy. I'm not saying that the new version is a lyrical masterpiece either, but I like the simplisctic approach of it.

It reminds me of Prodigy's very simple lyrics and also the energy of the song is very reminiscent of Prodigy.

It's a fun song that doesn't take itself too seriously.

What's the remix version, is that bubblefoot one? 

Definitely think Hardschool would have been a better choice for first new song.  Does anyone know if OMG could be on the cards? Any which way, I complained about no new stuff, and here we are, so I'm not complaining 

Edited by jimisbatman

1 minute ago, jimisbatman said:

What's the remix version, is that bubblefoot one? 

@evader made a version years ago (before any real demos leaked) and it's honestly still the best version available. He used the RIR3 performance and parts of the multitracks to create a "studio" version, even added an outro, it's pretty cool.

• Like 2

Don't love it, don't hate it. It's fine.   Definitely a bottom tier GnR song but it's not my least favorite either. I like it *enough* 

22 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

Also the weird fucking Medusa imagery in the background was fucking disgusting. 

That's the point lol

I actually thought the background fit excellent and added a lot to the song.  It was really cool I think.