Do you like 'Absurd'?

Do you like 'Absurd'?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Pretty simple, do you like the 'new' song, 'Absurd'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Might grow on me
    • Not interested at all

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/14/2021 at 05:59 AM

Can’t really answer like that. I’ve never particularly appreciated this song, although the lyrics are quite bold. I do like Slash’s addition, but I prefer Axl’s 2001 live take. This whole thing is not really about the song itself though, it’s obviously about the excitement that something “different” is happening in that otherwise parched desert. 

I choose 'no' but:

1. I like "troll attirude" from Axl

2. I like how this shows how better Axl would sound live if he had more recent catalogue more adjusted to his current voice

3. It shows that they did at least smth new

• Like 3

The main riff is really bland, the "chorus" or "b-part" was better in the former arrangement (the "what can you do"-part). The guitar solos sounds uninspired and lacks melody. With that said, I've always liked the verse vocals (apart from the actual lyrics which sounds like pure gibberish), because it sounds like something johnny rotten could have done.

2/5 from me.

• Like 1

I get that people are excited for something new(ish). And some people like it. That's cool. Different tastes and all that... but it's not for me.

I understand that I don't have to like every single GN'R song, and I don't, but I think that this one's the worst one out there for me yet because I simply don't feel anything when I listen to it other than, perhaps, a sense of mild disgust at the mental image of a pussy full of maggots. Anything else I feel is about the fact that this is the song they chose to put out there to catch the headlines. I mean, the sound is outdated and the lyrics are like something dreamed up by a bunch of young lads trying so, so hard to be edgy, and it's like the band doesn't know what they are now, like they cannot move on. I get that same sense when I see them drop f'n' anywhere and everywhere they can. They're middle-aged multi-millionaires. Singing about a pussy full of maggots just seems shallow, inauthentic and, frankly, sad... I hope they figure out a more mature sound. It could be awesome. They could be awesome.

And yeah, I know that plenty of people see this as a joke, as trolling, whatever, and if you're one of them you'll think I'm not 'getting it', but that won't stop me from cringing at this move.

• Like 2

I voted no, because I don't think it's a good song that will touch the hearts of many.   

But as many of you have pointed out, I totally dig the absurdity of it. It is fun and unexpecteted and kind of punk.

Edited by lilacmess

As many have said, you can't make this shit up. Of all the songs they chose this one... I was really hoping for new songs in veins of ChiDem but instead I got this shit. Now I wish they had stuck with the normal routine. Now it's out there. They even took out everything that was cool about Silkworms, like the "what can I do" line. And Axl's screams come from a keyboard? Screams which he can no longer do and don't even fit with the lower tone he sings it now. Total car crash as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, invisible_rose said:

I quite like it, but I don't think it's a stadium rocker, is it? Not sure it sounds great in an huge open air stadium. In a dark arena or theatre/club setting, with a great lighting show it would be awesome. Pretty much like most of CD tbh. I don't think they translate well to a big stage.  

You know, I think that's  good take. That the songs are interesting but need a different setting and atmosphere for them to be received properly. 

Song sucks balls, but I don't think it's meant to be good, it's meant to shock and be ridiculous. Not a single by any means but that's the first one they choose to play live. Can't make this stuff up, only in GNR world. It's like if they played Get In The Ring as the first song from the illusions.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

49 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Song sucks balls, but I don't think it's meant to be good, it's meant to shock and be ridiculous. Not a single by any means but that's the first one they choose to play live. Can't make this stuff up, only in GNR world. It's like if they played Get In The Ring as the first song from the illusions.

Great analogy! It is as ridiculous as 91 gnr busting out Get in the Ring as the first UYI song ever played. At the height of their success!!

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

This is far worse than Get in the Ring. It’s like if Axl played My World. I swear.

I was never much of a fan of the 2001 version, I always thought it was fine.  I didn't even bother with the leaks from a few years ago, but I'm loving this.  The bass is fantastic and the guitars just drive the song home for me.  I love the heavy feel and the weirdness of it too.  This song fucks

Edited by Bitchisback
  • Like 1