ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

Ya know what I think? I think Slash was probably way more involved in choosing ‘Absurd’ as the first new song than people think. Dude rocks the fuck out with Duff when they do it live. You can’t fake that level of energy. I doubt he knew that ‘Silkworms’ almost mythical status, for better or worse, but it’s a household word within the GNR fan community, hate it or dig it, that’s for damn sure. It was gonna be an uphill battle for them, but honestly, I’m not sure anyone involved really cares about that.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, sofine11 said:

Ya know what I think? I think Slash was probably way more involved in choosing ‘Absurd’ as the first new song than people think. Dude rocks the fuck out with Duff when they do it live. You can’t fake that level of energy. I doubt he knew that ‘Silkworms’ almost mythical status, for better or worse, but it’s a household word within the GNR fan community, hate it or dig it, that’s for damn sure. It was gonna be an uphill battle for them, but honestly, I’m not sure anyone involved really cares about that.

I agree, and I think he's really into Hardskool also because it's similar to the old songs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rumandraisin said:

Which makes me think we would never see a reworked Omg as Axl publically said Duff had no interest working on it when it was written around 97

I think Axl also said, maybe even in the same interview, that after OMG was completed, Duff and Matt admitted they liked the song.

Edited by Rovim

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

I think Axl also said, maybe even in the same interview, that after OMG was completed, Duff and Matt admitted they liked the song.

Former member Duff McKagan as well as former employee Matt Sorum failed to see its potential and showed no interest in exploring, let alone recording the piece. When the demos were played for the new band, Josh, Tommy and Robin were as they say 'all over it.'

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4557-1999-09-22-rolling-stone-axl-speaks-out-statement-on-oh-my-god

As far as I know, he hasn't said anything about Duff and Matt liking it afterwards. And they haven't said anything either.

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Former member Duff McKagan as well as former employee Matt Sorum failed to see its potential and showed no interest in exploring, let alone recording the piece. When the demos were played for the new band, Josh, Tommy and Robin were as they say 'all over it.'

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4557-1999-09-22-rolling-stone-axl-speaks-out-statement-on-oh-my-god

As far as I know, he hasn't said anything about Duff and Matt liking it afterwards. And they haven't said anything either.

it wasn't in the same interview, the Rolling Stone one you linked to, but I distinctly remember it was said. I don't have a source though so make of it what you will.

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

it wasn't in the same interview, the Rolling Stone one you linked to, but I distinctly remember it was said. I don't have a source though so make of it what you will.

That was the press release quoted in Rolling Stone, not an interview.

I don't know... Duff and Matt had left when the song was completed.

Just now, Blackstar said:

That was the press release quoted in Rolling Stone, not an interview.

I don't know... Duff and Matt had left when the song was completed.

I stand corrected, press release and yes, they already left but they could have easily checked it out when it came out as a soundtrack, like everyone else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

and yet I remember that it was said in an interview that after Duff and Matt heard the finished product, they admitted they liked it. :shrugs:

Well, my history section only contains quotes from up to 2010. If the quote is newer then I simply haven't added yet. But on the other hand, of Blackstar can't remember it, it likely haven't happened. She is omniscient when it comes to GN'R.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Well, my history section only contains quotes from up to 2010. If the quote is newer then I simply haven't added yet. But on the other hand, of Blackstar can't remember it, it likely haven't happened. She is omniscient when it comes to GN'R.

as far as when it was said, I can't remember. I don't think it was after 2010, but it's possible.

10 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

So I guess no one cares about Absurd now that Hard Skool is out?

I didn't care for it when I first heard it and I still don't care for it now. The song doesn't go anywhere. I'm not sure what it is I'm supposed to be listening to. It is poorly arranged with Axl singing the same verse 3 times! And fuck knows what is going on with the phrasing of certain lines on the studio version. And the breakdown is just... well what the fuck is it supposed to be?! I get that live it is maybe a fun song to get into. But as a studio track, I'll likely not listen to it again. Pretty shite to these ears! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I did a google search to try and figure out where Axl came up with the "maggots" line.  Let's just say there are things you can't unsee and I don't recommend searching the lyrics!

I do wonder if somebody sent Axl a link and that's where he came up with it from.

1 minute ago, Gnrcane said:

So I did a google search to try and figure out where Axl came up with the "maggots" line.  Let's just say there are things you can't unsee and I don't recommend searching the lyrics!

I do wonder if somebody sent Axl a link and that's where he came up with it from.

Could be, maybe "blue waffle" will be added to the lyrics in a completed version of Nothing.

• Haha 2

On 9/30/2021 at 12:24 PM, jimisbatman said:

If this was the case, why was it soundchecked and on set lists in recent years? Or do I have this wrong? 

I don't know whether it gets released but the last line up definitely rehearsed the song so I see no reason why (if Silkworms made a comeback) that OMG wouldn't too. 

Reasons why it shouldn't 1) it was already officially released 22yrs ago...whether that was a "demo" or not, the full bag of cats is empty on that one. 2) if they are taking stuff from the vault it's a better plan to take what we don't already know because there has been a backlash over them not writing as a band... at least if it's unknown it would be speculation at first whether it's fresh or old material and people could enjoy it for what it is before letting biases ruin anything.

• Sad 1