ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

4 hours ago, Modano09 said:

All things considered I think Duff and Slash reworking Chinese Democracy leftovers is the best chance there is at a new album.

Yup. Axl's grown fond of those songs, and they have solid lead vocals in the can. He may have not written new music or lyrics during the past decade for all we know. 

Just now, denin said:

Yup. Axl's grown fond of those songs, and they have solid lead vocals in the can. He may have not written new music or lyrics during the past decade for all we know. 

I mean, it's only logical that he wouldnt want to waste those songs. Regardless of the current line-up. 

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Better than coming out with a dad-rock ACDC sounding song that was already outdated by 1992, and Axl already didn't want to make in the mid 90s. This is so crass and abrasive that it gets a buzz going and people talking. I doubt Hard School, which I think is an OK song at best, would get as much attention.

I agree it’s given a buzz and got people talking and I’m glad there’s a positive effect through it. I also agree hard school is just an ok song but I just think at least we’d hear Axl sound more like Axl and that would grab more attention 

I really like punk rock and this definitely sounds like a 70s British punk rock band trying to write a song musically for 2021. Some people will love it some will hate it. I have no issue with that. The Lyrics are too repetitive but I love their content. They don't give a fuck. 

I can see why some would think it's cool they've done this before a more conventional single, but I'd be worried they'd turn off the mainstream releasing this before hardschool or a ballad type song that would get loads of radio play and be more palatable to the masses. But then again, GnR were never about that.

So let's enjoy it, you don't like it? Tough shit. Let's hope it's the first of several singles leading up to a an album release in a couple months and that there is actually a method to the madness, not just a random single then another year of silence. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lightBLASTER said:

You guys think they're actually going to put an album out?

I think they planned this for last year already. Which makes me think that Fernando wasn't lying at all (his "delaying new music because of Covid19" comment) 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 3

A 4D chess move to have Absurd absorb all the heat from being 1st release in however long.  Hard School is a solid song, but I would agree with the sentiment of it feeling too safe/conventional or w/e and so going with a weird/wtf/polarizing type of song isn't a terrible choice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Rapidfire said:

Why are they using UYI font for the cover? I hope this is not just a single to promote the upcoming anniversary boxset. WE WANT A NEW ALBUM!

I hate that you're probably right. Weird they didn't use an actual UYI leftover (if there are any) but we're what, 6 weeks out from the anniversary? Makes sense then in a few years the actual album might drop.

• Like 1

If a full length record is coming, I'd figure sometime in November.

Absurd is clearly mental and to casual punters, doesn't sound like what they'd identify as GN'R. It gets attention though just for it being so odd.

Common sense would be to stick Hard Skool out in a few weeks as a proper "single" (clearly Absurd isn't getting on any commercial radio stations) as with the updates from the current lineup, it's much closer sounding to classic Guns and could at least get played a bit on the radio (aswell as the standard online promo/streams etc) and build hype ahead of an album release.

This is GN'R though so it probably won't happen like that.

• Like 1

Hm, I think my one issue with the release is the backwards R meaning it's a pain to search for on Spotify and iTunes. Anyone having trouble finding the song on those platforms, just go to the Guns N' Roses artist page.

Shackler's Revenge was released in September 2008. I was still sure the album would be delayed again at this point. 

I'm not saying that a new album is confirmed for this year. I just think that Absurd could lead to the new album in the same way as Shackler's Revenge led to Chinese Democracy.

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, betterman said:

Can we hope for a double album??

One with CD II stuff and one with new songs written by Axl,Slash & Duff? (& Tobias :D )

Aslong as there's no DJ Ashba riffs, I think a double album to release all the shit Axl worked on during CD would actually be nice to "clean the plate" and finally finish that timeline and move on. Axl has been living in that CD-time universe for most of his life at this point.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

Why do you guys suddenly believe this hints a new album and SOYL didn't? What has changed? Same situation (touring, same songs), same non-promoted single (no video). I mean, I love the current excitement and definitely wish this means something, but there's not much evidence that this is different from a few years ago. 

2 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Why do you guys suddenly believe this hints a new album and SOYL didn't? What has changed? Same situation (touring, same songs), same non-promoted single (no video). I mean, I love the current excitement and definitely wish this means something, but there's not much evidence that this is different from a few years ago. 

I assume people think because it's a CD leftover, rather than a remixed AFD era-tune that tied directly into a boxset release. I agree we should be sceptical though, the font and the timing really does make me think UYI boxset tbh...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxlIsGod. said:

I assume people think because it's a CD leftover, rather than a remixed AFD era-tune that tied directly into a boxset release. I agree we should be sceptical though, the font and the timing really does make me think UYI boxset tbh...

Oh the boxset. I meant more like a new album. Yes, it could be this, but like I've said here before, why choose this to promote UYI stuff is beyond me. Oh well, seek logic in the world of GNR... 

• Haha 1

Just now, jamillos said:

Oh the boxset. I meant more like a new album. Yes, it could be this, but like I've said here before, why choose this to promote UYI stuff is beyond me. Oh well, seek logic in the world of GNR... 

Well, no UYI anniversary is confirmed anyway.