ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

Oh the boxset. I meant more like a new album. Yes, it could be this, but like I've said here before, why choose this to promote UYI stuff is beyond me. Oh well, seek logic in the world of GNR... 

yeah, you can't use logic :lol: Axl probably picked the easiest song to sing live, and they probably have very little left from the UYI era.

4 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Why do you guys suddenly believe this hints a new album and SOYL didn't? What has changed? Same situation (touring, same songs), same non-promoted single (no video). I mean, I love the current excitement and definitely wish this means something, but there's not much evidence that this is different from a few years ago. 

I don't see how these could compare. SOYL came out with the announcement of the AFD box set and it was a song from that era.

Absurd/Silkworms is a song that was intended for Axl's next album or as a post CD release. Surely it's a low key release, otherwise I suppose they would've made a deal for it to be featured somewhere (videogame, TV series etc.).

• Like 2

Wait, -hold up, do we actually know when it was written?

I know it gets attributed to Dizzy/Pittman. But could some of it of been knocking around between Dizzy and Axl from the UYI (My World) era?

There's basically nothing left from UYI so if the demo existed back then...... are they going to try and count it as a UYI bonus track?

• ABSUЯD 1

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

I saw no official Statements from the management or the band. 

Just rumours based on the AfD boxset 

Yes, so you meant "UYI anniversary isn't confirmed" not "No UYI anniversary is confirmed", big difference.

This is GNR. An anniversary boxset bundled with an unrelated single is easily as realistic as a new album :lol:

• GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, life_247 said:

I know it gets attributed to Dizzy/Pittman. But could some of it of been knocking around between Dizzy and Axl from the UYI (My World) era?

There's basically nothing left from UYI so if the demo existed back then...... are they going to try and count it as a UYI bonus track?

Based on this it seems it was written after Chris started working with the band:

Dizzy: Umm... it was passed back and forth on our [Dizzy's and Chris'] computers. yea.. you know, we do a lot of work now on computers. We pass it back and forth and I had a couple riffs so... yea[...] It kind of went away. I mean we actually played it a few times live... but... I'm sure it'll up at some point [Madagascar88, January 2006].

And Chris got involved in early 1998. Of course, those riffs could go back to the UYI era.

Edited by SoulMonster

2 minutes ago, life_247 said:

Very plausible. Anyone completely shooting down a UYI set, especially given the timing and the single's font, is just willing a new album into reality. Let's see, it's interesting to say the least.

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't see how these could compare. SOYL came out with the announcement of the AFD box set and it was a song from that era.

Absurd/Silkworms is a song that was intended for Axl's next album or as a post CD release. Surely it's a low key release, otherwise I suppose they would've made a deal for it to be featured somewhere (videogame, TV series etc.).

Fair point, I kinda skipped the L & L boxset. I guess I just somehow can’t connect this song with whatever the new endeavours of Axl + Slash + Duff "should be". A leftover from the CD sessions that some people claim was gonna be used on CD II (how do we know this? Did Axl say that? Don’t remember) and that, in the eyes of many, represents exactly that rupture in the styles and directions Axl and Slash each wanted to go in the mid 90s (however true or not this is). If this is a new record promotion, I just hope they won’t put it on it – which, however, would make no sense, so we can actually expect it to be there, taking up space of some other, better song...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Fair point, I kinda skipped the L & L boxset. I guess I just somehow can’t connect this song with whatever the new endeavours of Axl + Slash + Duff "should be". A leftover from the CD sessions that some people claim was gonna be used on CD II (how do we know this? Did Axl say that? Don’t remember) and that, in the eyes of many, represents exactly that rupture in the styles and directions Axl and Slash each wanted to go in the mid 90s (however true or not this is). If this is a new record promotion, I just hope they won’t put it on it – which, however, would make no sense, so we can actually expect it to be there, taking up space of some other, better song...

Axl was asked in the chats and said that he had it rearranged (which would be the "Bumblefoot version" that leaked about three years ago), so since he revisited it, it means that it was among the songs considered for a next release.

I'm sure Slash has arranged and recorded guitar for a few songs - definitely more than Absurd and Hard School. But Axl is producing, so it takes time :lol:

Edited by Blackstar

22 minutes ago, betterman said:

There is no logic in having this song on a UYI boxset, this was written by Pitman and Dizzy after parting with Duff and Slash in the first place and not a part of the unreleased UYI tracks like Shadow of your love was for AFD - Big difference

Was Shadow Of Your Love really planed or AFD? I thought that was planned for Live Like A Suicide. But it was cut away because it sounded too similar to Reckless Life.. 

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't understand this logic complaining of old vocal tracks. Do you want age 58 Axl vocals? Do you think that's an improvement? The older the vocals the BETTER they will sound because Axl was YOUNGER. The further back they were recorded the better they will sound. Fuck, put unreleased 1988 vocals somewhere if you can, GNR.

I would prefer current Axl vocals (or at least a mix), mainly because it would at least show that he's trying and motivated to make new music. The only thing this song shows is that he can sign a consent form to release something from 20 years ago.

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Axl was asked in the chats and said that he had it rearranged (which would be the "Bumblefoot version" that leaked about three years ago), so since he revisited it, it means that it was among the songs considered for a next release.

I'm sure Slash has arranged and recorded guitar for a few songs - definitely more than Absurd and Hard School. But Axl is producing, so it takes time :lol:

Yeah, I remember that. "The chorus is gone" etc. Anyway, Hard School would make much more sense. 

2 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Yeah, I remember that. "The chorus is gone" etc. Anyway, Hard School would make much more sense. 

Yes. But if Hardschool was released first there would be even more doubt and speculation on whether it would be the prequel of a new album or related to a potential UYI reissue. Absurd doesn't make any sense as something related to UYI - they surely wouldn't sell a UYI box set with that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cruel Intentions said:

I would prefer current Axl vocals (or at least a mix), mainly because it would at least show that he's trying and motivated to make new music. The only thing this song shows is that he can sign a consent form to release something from 20 years ago.

Maybe it pisses him off that he’s sat on so much material from arguably the most creative period he’s had as an artist from 20 + years ago though? I reckon we will see some new vocals on a new record, but similar to the treatment Chinese got, overdubs here and there. I’d rather for the most part vocals remain the same so he’s at the top of his fucking game!

Just now, t-p-d-a said:

Was Shadow Of Your Love really planed or AFD? I thought that was planned for Live Like A Suicide. But it was cut away because it sounded too similar to Reckless Life.. 

I think it was just a song from that era - they played it live (It was obviously a Hollywood Rose song).

The AFD boxset also covers Live Like a Suicide so it does fit together.

6 hours ago, Italian girl said:

It will be a complete suicide for gnr

That s what I think too. The song is terrible, doesn t sound like hardrock or gnr at all. I listened to it and thought „are you serious?“ thank you, but if that s the future direction I dont need new music. 

Can t imagine that song having any success. But who knows.. some people just buy it cause it says GNR 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes. But if Hardschool was released first there would be even more doubt and speculation on whether it would be the prequel of a new album or related to a potential UYI reissue. Absurd doesn't make any sense as something related to UYI - they surely wouldn't sell a UYI box set with that.

Exactly - and wouldn't that be great? Another bit of mystery in the GNR world! HS does sound like GN'R, whether from the "Axl direction" or "Slash direction" point of view. Folks would be even more confused! :huh: