ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

I think this is all an strategic move from Ax... the band (and also even maybe this track won't be included in the future album), to release this will put the press talking and talking shit and, maybe again, that's what they want: publicity for what's to come. Axl did this with the Looney Tunes stuff: "Let them talk i'll be laughing"... 

Even the tittle of the song -Absurd- it's a clue of my guessing: why releasing "some absurd, non GNR song"? It's like starting a new album with "My World" or something.

Who knows, strage times! Hopefully HardSchool is next and a tip for the new album

Edited by Argento
  • ABSUЯD 1

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Oh absolutely, but $45 would be pushing it, surely?! Although having said that 7" vinyl prices seem to be sky high now. Back in the late 90s I used to pick them up because they were always 99p (just over a dollar) and you could grab them as a way of testing whether you liked a band you'd maybe heard were good but never listened to. A lot of my paperound money went that way! 

$45 for a 7" single would definitely be pushing it however, GN'R are professionals when it comes to pushing it so that's why I guessed $45. 

That and what you said about vinyl prices rising anyway. Also, there's a huge back up at pressing plants currently so IF there's going to be a vinyl edition of the single, it won't be out til spring anyway. What a very GN'R thing lol

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 2

Just now, DPR714 said:

Why wouldn't you release something that could get radio play? Not understanding the thinking there.

Radio is dead dude. No one cares about it anymore. Streaming/youtube is where it's at. And GNR have 20 million monthly Spotify listeners, those who want to know will know it's out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The video is really like something from Slash's instagram :lol:

Anyone doubting Slash's taste in this song should follow him on Instagram. The lyrics are nothing compared to the shit he posts. :lol:

5 hours ago, GNR_RNR said:

This is amazing. The most GNR thing to happen in over a decade. 

The songs sounds great too. An energetic rocker in the vein of ISE, and Axl will be able to rock the vocal live. 

And for anyone not sold on it yet

1-This clearly isn’t the ‘lead’ single but more a taster. I imagine HS is still the lead single. 

2- This shows they have worked on new music!

So enjoy a Friday in which GNR released a new song. This is the first time this has happened for a lot of us.

I agree. I think the band is in on the sort of joke/irony of releasing this as the first taste of new music. I also think Absurd would be a brilliant name for an album/tour as a follow-up to the obvious joke of Not In This Lifetime.

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Wagszilla went ahead and made a WAY cooler cover for the single:

http://www.wagszilla.com/images/GNR/GNR-Absurd-Wagszilla.jpg

Screenshot_20210806-064130_Chrome.jpg

Wouldn't be bad for an album cover/title. Keeping in with the Illusions art style just as Chinese Democracy's main album cover did,

15 minutes ago, jafeijo said:

Any thoughts on the artwork? It seems indeed in line with the UYI celebration stuff, but at the same time... Could it be like a classic visual "compensation" for the chinese democracy material/modern sound?

I think just a "classic" stylization just as the tour has been doing with all the AFD imagery and whatnot. Plus even Chinese Democracy borrowed the album cover layout of the Illusions so at this point I think it's a Guns thing.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

25 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Pitman wakes up. 

While sipping coffee, he turns on his PC and clicks on a music feed. 

His phone keeps beeping with messages, but he thinks "Leave me alone, you dicks, it’s 9 in the morning."

A headline jumps out at him. 

He stops the coffee cup halfway to his mouth. 

His eyes widen.

Silence. 

"This must be a hoax," flashes through his head. 

He clicks on other sources. 

It’s everywhere. 

His phone buzzes with various social media, e-mail, and bank account sounds. 

He puts the cup down and looks outside the window. 

Thoughts running through his head. "Is this actually happening?"

"I mean, I know you fucked me over hard in that lawsuit, but… is this supposed to be some of compensation? Why this? Why now? What the fuck, man?"

He picks up the phone. A few missed calls and unread messages from Dizzy on the top of a heap of other messages. 

"Should I open a celebratory bottle?" is the last thought we hear before leaving him there in peace.

God bless Chris Pitman

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Radio is dead dude. No one cares about it anymore. Streaming/youtube is where it's at. And GNR have 20 million monthly Spotify listeners, those who want to know will know it's out.

Yep…

At the end of the day, this all makes it hopeful that we will hear the rest of those CD era songs (especially the ones that weren’t leaked) in a reworked fashion. 

Silkworms/Absurd is an extremely polarizing song. If they wanted to get any type of reaction good or bad, it’s certainly a way to go 

• Like 1

Just now, StrangerInThisTown said:

Dude?

At my age (54) I don't listen to spotify/stream music etc. That's great that they have 20 million listeners but why would they want to expand that with new listeners? Back "in the day (70's, 80's partial 90's ) Albums/Radio etc were the thing.

3 minutes ago, DPR714 said:

Dude?

At my age (54) I don't listen to spotify/stream music etc. That's great that they have 20 million listeners but why would they want to expand that with new listeners? Back "in the day (70's, 80's partial 90's ) Albums/Radio etc were the thing.

At my age (27) I can tell you that the people who hear about new music through radio is miniscule compared to the amount of people who discover new music through streaming services. And you can put whatever the hell you want out on streaming without worrying about if it gets played on radio or not, people WILL stumble across it anyway. They'll just promote it with ads on spotify, Instagram, and Facebook, and that's how you get tons of new listeners in 2021.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

21 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

So if the writing is credited to “Guns n Roses” does that mean Dizzy has to share his royalties with Axl/Slash/Duff?

Does Pitman still get royalties even tho he likely just wrote the now-deleted intro?

Why did Brain get credited but not Buckethead, even tho that’s definitely still Buckethead’s killswitch in the intro?

So many questions still!

One thing is for sure though, Slash’s playing and tone is wayyyy better than Bumble’s. Now I see just how uninspired of a lead guitarist Bumble really is. He should stick to fretless/ rhythm.

My guess would be that if you actually looked up the song on BMI/ASCAP, it would give the actual breakdown of the actual songwriters. My guess was they just put "Guns N' Roses" for the meta data on streaming services. Based on what we know, I would imagine Axl/Chris/Dizzy are the songwriters. I doubt Slash/Duff would get writing credit for bass lines and guitar wank (mean that lovingly), but who knows? This band has been known to do more............absrud..............things before. 

I like it, but what’s the goal here? Casual fans aren’t going to like it because it doesn’t sound like GnR and radio stations aren’t going to play it because half the song would be bleeped out.

My guess is an album is coming and Hardschool will be the lead single, maybe they’ll do an iHeart radio exclusive promo or something with that

• Like 1

Also, as someone else mentioned, the press/reviews/social media on this have been overwhelmingly positive. Even the Stereogum article, which leads with a deceptively negative title, ends up saying the song was a fun treat. Honestly, given how fast this was rushed into the world (relatively speaking....not the twenty year gestation period), I would imagine most people know to take it as a fun little treat and not a definitive "mission statement" for what we get next. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DPR714 said:
17 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Radio is still the number one source to find new artists, this is by a study (no i do t have the link smartasses)

radio isnt dead

• Like 1

In terms of breaking music for new rock bands, terrestrial radio is pretty much dead. Even in the best of times for radio, it was not common to see much airplay for "legacy" bands. Usually a single gets bandied about for a month, and then disappears. Do you still hear the new AC/DC song on radio? Look at what happened with Chinese Democracy. The first single (title track) got played non-stop for a few weeks, and then immediately disappeared after the album got released. I do not think I heard a Chinese Democracy song on terrestrial radio after early 2009. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 2

About the mix: what really annoys me is that Slash's right channel suddenly stops for the bridge. I would let it ring a bit more. 

Also, the very last break has some hiss from the amp going on. Not sure if that was truly intentional, but I'd rather not have that. 

I do like Duff's backing vocals for the chorus. It makes it a lot more listenable with the copy/paste Axl's shouting. Actually, his bass is really great and gave the song a totally different vibe. It's great to clearly hear the bass in a GNR song again.

If I had listened to silkworms even remotely recently I might have disliked this more but due to me not doing that, I don’t dislike it as much. Some of the lyrics are certainly from two decades ago although there are some changes to it. Well at least it gives us something new to talk about and a bit of good publicity for the band.