ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

While it's an interesting choice as the first single, it's kinda historically appropriate imo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Chinese Democracy, You Could be mine and It's so easy the first singles from those respective albums? So they go with a rocker for the first single, to get attention. Then the 2nd song will be the "better" song. Like wants Better the 2nd single from CD, followed by Street of dreams? I expect this type of pattern.

8 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

At my age (27) I can tell you that the people who hear about new music through radio is miniscule compared to the amount of people who discover new music through streaming services. And you can put whatever the hell you want out on streaming without worrying about if it gets played on radio or not, people WILL stumble across it anyway. They'll just promote it with ads on spotify, Instagram, and Facebook, and that's how you get tons of new listeners in 2021.

This. At my age (31) I used to discover new (old?) music based on recommendations from friends or father figures (Supertramp, Beatles, Neil Young etc.). But with modern music it's all about Spotify. The amount of great artists I've accidently stumbled on from random Spotify playlists is crazy. Khruangbin, Mac DeMarco, Tyler, Vulfpeck, Cory Wong, Snarky Puppy... All discovered because on a random playlist one of their songs piqued my interest enough to go and deep dive their stuff and now I consider some of them amongst my very favourite artists. 

Of course, for some bands (maybe GNR fall in here) super fans will just be keeping up with the news. I tend to be like this with groups like Tame Impala or Radiohead or even Arcade Fire, but it's so easy to keep up to date through Spotify or whatever. 

• ABSUЯD 1

10 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

Yeaaah, about that ...

According to german Rolling Stone Magazine:

geschrieben wurde „ABSUЯD“ von den beiden Guns-N’-Roses-Keyboardern Dizzy Reed und dem 2016 verstorbenen Chris Pittman. 

Which roughly translates to: "... written by Dizzy Reed and Chris Pitman, who died in 2016."

I wonder if they did that on purpose, so he wouldn't get that high on his new found fame. You know, keeping him grounded.

He died inside for sure in 2016. The journalist got that right.

• Haha 4

I think they make it choice to preserve them self to future release album. It song  don't have involvement of great three i the génesis. Is an old song who was most Dizzy and Pitman creation. They isn't to take a risk.

9 minutes ago, gnr5 said:

Radio is still the number one source to find new artists, this is by a study (no i do t have the link smartasses)

radio isnt dead

our radio stations here in europe have millions of daily listeners, but reading that post I thought it is just us europeans being retarded 😅

Just now, themadcaplaughs said:

In terms of breaking music for new rock bands, terrestrial radio is pretty much dead. Even in the best of times for radio, it was not common to see much airplay for "legacy" bands. Usually a single gets bandied about for a month, and then disappears. Do you still hear the new AC/DC song on radio? Look at what happened with Chinese Democracy. The first single (title track) got played non-stop for a few weeks, and then immediately disappeared after the album got released. I do not think I heard a Chinese Democracy song on terrestrial radio after early 2009. 

But that doesn't prove the point that radio is dead......just that the stations aren't especially interested in playing this stuff. 

Radio listening figures are still huge and have barely altered over time - even going up in some stations cases. 

89 per cent of adults listen to the radio here every week and on average everyone listens to the radio for just over 20 hours a week. 

It's easy to say "radio is dead" but it isn't true. 

https://www.rajar.co.uk/docs/news/RAJAR_DataRelease_InfographicQ12020.pdf

You guys fail to take into account that we are not talking about Taylor Swift, Megan Thee Stallion or hip hop artists here, but an 80s rock band. How much slimmer is GNR being played compared to those? Sure those mainstream genres get played a lot. But if you think many people will hear a new GNR song through radio and become a fan you're deluded IMO. That's not where the main promotion lies these days.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

But that doesn't prove the point that radio is dead......just that the stations aren't especially interested in playing this stuff. 

Radio listening figures are still huge and have barely altered over time - even going up in some stations cases. 

89 per cent of adults listen to the radio here every week and on average everyone listens to the radio for just over 20 hours a week. 

It's easy to say "radio is dead" but it isn't true. 

https://www.rajar.co.uk/docs/news/RAJAR_DataRelease_InfographicQ12020.pdf

You're right. I suppose I should have clarified that I was looking at it through the lens of new GN'R music receiving airplay. Even if they had dropped a more "traditional" single like "Hardschool", it would still have received minimal radio airplay. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, James Bond said:

I absolute hate to admit this... but I'm starting to actually like the song. I hate it. But I love it. But I hate it.

I've only heard it once and I already feel that way. Wtf is happening? They must've put subliminal messages in this shit lol. 

My plan is to hear it again in the car later on the way to get my son, then really let it fly through my sound system tonight. 

With the fact that it's already stuck in my head after one listen several hours ago, I fear my future holds me yelling "ABSURD!" a lot this evening. 

• GNFNR 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

4 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I absolute hate to admit this... but I'm starting to actually like the song. I hate it. But I love it. But I hate it.

I think it just is so amazing to hear Slash’s guitar tone on an official GNR release that it’s broken my brain and is making me like this song

• GNFNR 2

Haven't posted in years so I've been a little removed from the hysteria and I don't know what the forum groupthink is these days, but just wanted to offer the opinion that the song kinda rocks. It's kinda punk rock to release THIS one one in a way. 

7 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Get people shocked with Absurd and then release the accessible song right after. Hard Skool, here we come

I’m of the opinion this is a really weird and perhaps counterproductive strategy.

How many people will be willing to give GNR’s next single a listen if they’re turned off by Absurd?

We kind of saw that with CD, with the underwhelming response to the title track’s single release.

I think it has more to do with the band liking the idea of Absurd as a single than it does with rebuilding interest in anything GNR releases. The song is a punch to the face. There is nothing safe about it. I think that likely appeals to Axl, Slash, and Duff more than any concerns over whether people actually like it or what people expect of them. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Ok now I’ve listened to it another 5 or 6 times and gotten over the shock of it the song isn’t actually isn’t too bad. I still rank it low in terms of GNR songs and I still think Hard school should’ve been released first but it’s done it’s job in getting people talking. 

I’ve listened to it so much today, like it’s not really a pleasant song to listen to, but I cant help myself. I always liked Silkworms and missed this energy and venomous attitude on Chinese. Fucking hell it’s exciting! The thing that’s stuck in my head is the guitars ”duduh du dang” over n over. Might even buy it on Itunes for the hell of it.

bring it fuckin on!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

One thing is for sure though, Slash’s playing and tone is wayyyy better than Bumble’s. Now I see just how uninspired of a lead guitarist Bumble really is. He should stick to fretless/ rhythm.

Bumble stick to rhythm?! I'm a huge Slash fan so get your point, but Bumble playing rhythm is like Mozart writing chopsticks.

• GNFNR 1