ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

21 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

So if the writing is credited to “Guns n Roses” does that mean Dizzy has to share his royalties with Axl/Slash/Duff?

Does Pitman still get royalties even tho he likely just wrote the now-deleted intro?

Why did Brain get credited but not Buckethead, even tho that’s definitely still Buckethead’s killswitch in the intro?

So many questions still!

One thing is for sure though, Slash’s playing and tone is wayyyy better than Bumble’s. Now I see just how uninspired of a lead guitarist Bumble really is. He should stick to fretless/ rhythm.

My guess would be that if you actually looked up the song on BMI/ASCAP, it would give the actual breakdown of the actual songwriters. My guess was they just put "Guns N' Roses" for the meta data on streaming services. Based on what we know, I would imagine Axl/Chris/Dizzy are the songwriters. I doubt Slash/Duff would get writing credit for bass lines and guitar wank (mean that lovingly), but who knows? This band has been known to do more............absrud..............things before. 

I like it, but what’s the goal here? Casual fans aren’t going to like it because it doesn’t sound like GnR and radio stations aren’t going to play it because half the song would be bleeped out.

My guess is an album is coming and Hardschool will be the lead single, maybe they’ll do an iHeart radio exclusive promo or something with that

• Like 1

Also, as someone else mentioned, the press/reviews/social media on this have been overwhelmingly positive. Even the Stereogum article, which leads with a deceptively negative title, ends up saying the song was a fun treat. Honestly, given how fast this was rushed into the world (relatively speaking....not the twenty year gestation period), I would imagine most people know to take it as a fun little treat and not a definitive "mission statement" for what we get next. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DPR714 said:
17 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Radio is dead dude. No one cares about it anymore. Streaming/youtube is where it's at. And GNR have 20 million monthly Spotify listeners, those who want to know will know it's out.

Radio is still the number one source to find new artists, this is by a study (no i do t have the link smartasses)

radio isnt dead

• Like 1

In terms of breaking music for new rock bands, terrestrial radio is pretty much dead. Even in the best of times for radio, it was not common to see much airplay for "legacy" bands. Usually a single gets bandied about for a month, and then disappears. Do you still hear the new AC/DC song on radio? Look at what happened with Chinese Democracy. The first single (title track) got played non-stop for a few weeks, and then immediately disappeared after the album got released. I do not think I heard a Chinese Democracy song on terrestrial radio after early 2009. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 2

About the mix: what really annoys me is that Slash's right channel suddenly stops for the bridge. I would let it ring a bit more. 

Also, the very last break has some hiss from the amp going on. Not sure if that was truly intentional, but I'd rather not have that. 

I do like Duff's backing vocals for the chorus. It makes it a lot more listenable with the copy/paste Axl's shouting. Actually, his bass is really great and gave the song a totally different vibe. It's great to clearly hear the bass in a GNR song again.

If I had listened to silkworms even remotely recently I might have disliked this more but due to me not doing that, I don’t dislike it as much. Some of the lyrics are certainly from two decades ago although there are some changes to it. Well at least it gives us something new to talk about and a bit of good publicity for the band. 

While it's an interesting choice as the first single, it's kinda historically appropriate imo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Chinese Democracy, You Could be mine and It's so easy the first singles from those respective albums? So they go with a rocker for the first single, to get attention. Then the 2nd song will be the "better" song. Like wants Better the 2nd single from CD, followed by Street of dreams? I expect this type of pattern.

8 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

At my age (27) I can tell you that the people who hear about new music through radio is miniscule compared to the amount of people who discover new music through streaming services. And you can put whatever the hell you want out on streaming without worrying about if it gets played on radio or not, people WILL stumble across it anyway. They'll just promote it with ads on spotify, Instagram, and Facebook, and that's how you get tons of new listeners in 2021.

This. At my age (31) I used to discover new (old?) music based on recommendations from friends or father figures (Supertramp, Beatles, Neil Young etc.). But with modern music it's all about Spotify. The amount of great artists I've accidently stumbled on from random Spotify playlists is crazy. Khruangbin, Mac DeMarco, Tyler, Vulfpeck, Cory Wong, Snarky Puppy... All discovered because on a random playlist one of their songs piqued my interest enough to go and deep dive their stuff and now I consider some of them amongst my very favourite artists. 

Of course, for some bands (maybe GNR fall in here) super fans will just be keeping up with the news. I tend to be like this with groups like Tame Impala or Radiohead or even Arcade Fire, but it's so easy to keep up to date through Spotify or whatever. 

• ABSUЯD 1

10 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

Yeaaah, about that ...

According to german Rolling Stone Magazine:

geschrieben wurde „ABSUЯD“ von den beiden Guns-N’-Roses-Keyboardern Dizzy Reed und dem 2016 verstorbenen Chris Pittman. 

Which roughly translates to: "... written by Dizzy Reed and Chris Pitman, who died in 2016."

I wonder if they did that on purpose, so he wouldn't get that high on his new found fame. You know, keeping him grounded.

He died inside for sure in 2016. The journalist got that right.

• Haha 4

I think they make it choice to preserve them self to future release album. It song  don't have involvement of great three i the génesis. Is an old song who was most Dizzy and Pitman creation. They isn't to take a risk.

9 minutes ago, gnr5 said:

Radio is still the number one source to find new artists, this is by a study (no i do t have the link smartasses)

radio isnt dead

our radio stations here in europe have millions of daily listeners, but reading that post I thought it is just us europeans being retarded 😅

Just now, themadcaplaughs said:

In terms of breaking music for new rock bands, terrestrial radio is pretty much dead. Even in the best of times for radio, it was not common to see much airplay for "legacy" bands. Usually a single gets bandied about for a month, and then disappears. Do you still hear the new AC/DC song on radio? Look at what happened with Chinese Democracy. The first single (title track) got played non-stop for a few weeks, and then immediately disappeared after the album got released. I do not think I heard a Chinese Democracy song on terrestrial radio after early 2009. 

But that doesn't prove the point that radio is dead......just that the stations aren't especially interested in playing this stuff. 

Radio listening figures are still huge and have barely altered over time - even going up in some stations cases. 

89 per cent of adults listen to the radio here every week and on average everyone listens to the radio for just over 20 hours a week. 

It's easy to say "radio is dead" but it isn't true. 

https://www.rajar.co.uk/docs/news/RAJAR_DataRelease_InfographicQ12020.pdf

You guys fail to take into account that we are not talking about Taylor Swift, Megan Thee Stallion or hip hop artists here, but an 80s rock band. How much slimmer is GNR being played compared to those? Sure those mainstream genres get played a lot. But if you think many people will hear a new GNR song through radio and become a fan you're deluded IMO. That's not where the main promotion lies these days.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

• alfierose changed the title to ABSUЯD Single released at midnight
  • downzy locked this topic
  • downzy unlocked this topic
  • alfierose unpinned this topic