ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

9 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Some thoughts, now that I've had time to process it...

I'm really starting to dig this song. The lyrics don't bother me simply because I was never one to pay attention to song lyrics anyways. Instrumentally it rocks the fuck out, that riff is simple but pretty catchy. They did a really good job with the tension/release when they came out of the breakdown, as well as in the final chorus where it stops for a beat and everything comes right back in. Pretty good job on the production as well, I wish the "screaming fucking banshee" line was on beat the first 2 times. 

Overall, I love the vibe of the song and the absurdity of this whole situation. I thought I had this band figured out and then they pull this shit. I love it

Maybe this is where people differ. I'm sure we had a thread years back on lyrics vs instruments and what camp you fall into. I'm definitely over on the side of lyrics, if I can't connect with them it diminishes a song for me.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

7 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

A fuck you to the diehards? If anyone is going to enjoy this it's the diehard fans. This is a love letter to us... maybe a love letter from an unbalanced ex but nonetheless it's nice to be thought of😊

The fans that skipped Chinese and have been enjoying NITL this is a "BTW we aren't no classic rock band" notification😄 

If this is a love letter, they can keep it. I'm too old to be getting trolled by this band. It's stale and boring. I guess the blame is mine for thinking that after 25+ years something would change.

2 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Maybe this is where people differ. I'm sure we had a thread years back on lyrics vs instruments and what camp you fall into. I'm definitely over on the side of lyrics, if I can't connect with them it diminishes a song for me.

Yeah I actually started that thread :lol: I feel ya though, there's definitely been songs for me where the lyrics made it nearly unlistenable despite great instrumentation

• Like 2

Must have listened to this 30 times today through decent headphones and every time I’m hearing something different and new somewhere…sonically it’s interesting and catchy and fucking nuts basically. I don’t want to like this but it’s sucked me in completely and has consumed me…what a day, WHAT A DAY!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

Still can't believe they chose this song... probably because it needed the least re-recording

At this point, could they release a song a show if they wanted to? Or are they under contract to release a full album? Are they under contract at all?

Edited by axl666

Just now, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Yeah I actually started that thread :lol: I feel ya though, there's definitely been songs for me where the lyrics made it nearly unlistenable despite great instrumentation

Ha! Yes you probably did start it now I think about it. I do love a good guitar solo but I think it boils down to me not being musical on a personal level. I can't read music or play fuck all instruments :lol: so my ability to differentiate what is going on instrumentally is very poor. Words appeal to me though - books, poetry, theatre, all that kind of stuff so lyrics are probably an extension of that.

• GNFNR 1

8 hours ago, IkaruFunk said:

I'm almost afraid to say it, but it really looks like they thought this through. There seems to be a vision behind this. Like others said, it's a perfect first single – in your face, divisive as fuck, not playing it safe and not afraid to take creative risks.

It just feels so refreshing to finally have a properly released song with all the bells and whistles, as it should be.

I even dig the medusa visuals and the cover with the stupid inverted R :lol:

I also think that there is a certain vision of this band behind it. Most of us would like to hear songs similar to Appetite for Destruction, but due to Axl's voice, I don't think it is achievable. He can't sing old songs with that voice anymore, so they have to record songs where Axl can sing in low tones. Besides, the move caused quite a stir. and that's what I like. Brando wrote today a tweet and it says: Guns n' Roses are absurd, but i F*** loving it.  And I Love it too :lol:.

33 minutes ago, GNRfanJen said:

I think we can all agree that this song isn't exactly what you would call "good." This is surely no Estranged, nor even a simple, cool tune like Brownstone. The title of the song is appropriate; there really is no better word to describe the song than absurd. Would it have made more sense to release Hard Skool first? Obviously. I mean, I wish they had.

But this is what we got and I'm (still) celebrating. There was clear intention on Axl's part to make this particular song the first single over any others. What his reasons are? Only he knows. But fuck it, I'm along for the ride. I've waited almost 10 years of my life for a "new" Guns N' Roses song so I'll take what I can get. 

out of likes :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, themadcaplaughs said:

You're right. I suppose I should have clarified that I was looking at it through the lens of new GN'R music receiving airplay. Even if they had dropped a more "traditional" single like "Hardschool", it would still have received minimal radio airplay. 

Yeah you're probably right. Might get a few plays on rock stations but that's probably about it. It has it's audience already and won't go much beyond that. 

36 minutes ago, GNRfanJen said:

I think we can all agree that this song isn't exactly what you would call "good."

I think we cannot agree. Subjectivity, ya know?

I liked it immediately, but the more I listen to it the more I like it. It's even kinda catchy, which is impressive for a song with hardly any vocal melodies. The guitars are great. I even like the breakdown, because it doesn't fit a song like this at all, and that's why I like it. And typical for GnR... they've always added parts that don't quite fit the normal songstructure and I've always liked that.