ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

54 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Bumble stick to rhythm?! I'm a huge Slash fan so get your point, but Bumble playing rhythm is like Mozart writing chopsticks.

Yeah what I said there was probably a bit over the top, as I do like his solo on Shackler’s at least.

still tho, slash trumps BBF overall imo (at least in terms of feeling). Bucket tops both of them tho. And Finck is underrated.

• Like 1

Greetings from UK

I must have listened to the song 50 times now and my thoughts on it have changed quite a lot.  

My first impression was that it was rubbish.  I listened to it on my phone first of all which didn’t help after listening to it through headphones here’s what I think now…. I’m no musical expert by the way!  

Plus points

The whole instrumental fucking rocks and the intro is great. 

I quite like the Axl screams and even the repeated “Absurd!” shouts (I have been walking around randomly shouting it so it’s obviously catchy! 

Negatives

The lyrics are actually passable except for the PFOM line which is so cringey. 

Worst of all is the effect on Axl’s vocals which unfortunately for me make it almost unlistenable.  

A real shame because this could have been an amazing track 

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Personally, I think the general public will like HS a lot more than Absurd 

I can totally understand why they released Absurd first. The fact that Slash is involved has sparked enough controversy already. 

Edited by Sosso
  • ABSUЯD 1

13 minutes ago, Politania said:

I also think that there is a certain vision of this band behind it. Most of us would like to hear songs similar to Appetite for Destruction, but due to Axl's voice, I don't think it is achievable. He can't sing old songs with that voice anymore, so they have to record songs where Axl can sing in low tones. Besides, the move caused quite a stir. and that's what I like. Brando wrote today a tweet and it says: Guns n' Roses are absurd, but i F*** loving it.  And I Love it too :lol:.

Really? I would say the last thing I want to hear is more songs like AFD. That album is over 30 years old now! 

Also- I have AFD. It's a classic and it's not going anywhere, so if I want to play it I can get it out and play it. I don't want to hear something like it as a result- I want to hear what they've got now, 30 odd years later as men no longer in their 20s. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

Just now, axlweave said:

I agree Russ but do you think they will release it like they did absurd or will we have to wait for an album release 

After the last 4 or 5 days, I can truly say I have absolutely NO clue. 

I would love for them to release a song every Friday then release it physically as one album but who knows what they're gonna do. Exciting times! 

1 minute ago, Towelie said:

Fuck the general public. They've owned this band for the last 6 years. Time to weird them out. Bring on the weird shit and make the casuals who brought their Karens along to hear SCOM wet their pants. 

I don't disagree with you at all. 

• ABSUЯD 1

15 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Really? I would say the last thing I want to hear is more songs like AFD. That album is over 30 years old now! 

Also- I have AFD. It's a classic and it's not going anywhere, so if I want to play it I can get it out and play it. I don't want to hear something like it as a result- I want to hear what they've got now, 30 odd years later as men no longer in their 20s. 

I agree with you. One AFD is enough for me too, but I wrote this in the context of all the complaints I have heard about the lack of new music. CHD -no for most people, so they want new AFD. And at the same time they expect Axl to sings songs from AFD with the same voice?! it's absurd lol

Edited by Politania

I am def glad they are sounding better than the Hershey show I was at last Saturday you know 4 years ago on august the 13th I got to see them on my birthday in Hershey and it was awesome this time it wasn’t anywhere near that show but still had a good time maybe one more time I can see them if they come to Pittsburgh or Hershey again 

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

So I just ran to get lunch and listened to it a few more times in the car. 

I......think I like it? 

What is happening right now?? 

It was always a banger, you were just slow to catch on. ;) Seriously, I never got the hate for Silkworms. It had all the best elements of punk GNR, like Down On The Farm, mixed with the aggression of It's So Easy and misogyny of Back Off Bitch. And I know some fans dislike the removal of the chorus, but the weird "Absurd" chants are much better imo. Even my wife, who isn't a big Guns fan and was familiar with Silkworms (because of me being a huge fan) said "this songs much better than the old version." She even added it to her Spotify - I've never been so proud. :lol:

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

It’s funny I was listening to the “Isnt that absurd” leak all week and went back and listened to “Silkworms” from HOB, I find things in all versions I really like, but the guitar in “Absurd”  just made it sound more Rock and less Punk/Techno and I think it’s what makes better for me

• Like 2

Just now, Politania said:

I agree with you. One AFD is enough for me too, but I wrote this in the context of all the complaints I have heard about the lack of new music. CHD -no for most people, so they want new AFD. And at the same time they expect Axl to sings songs from AFD with the same voice?! it's absurd lol

Oh right. Got you. 

I guess there's a distinction in there between 'wanting his voice to sound as it did on AFD now' and some of the, let's be honest, quite poor performances that have slipped through. I suppose that's probably what annoys people most- things like the lack of rehearsing etc. 

Anyway, important thing is I suppose that we MIGHT get more music now. I'm hovering between "of course we'll get more stuff, it can't just be this one song" and "well.....this is GNR and past history shows me what can happen, so don't get carried away here." 

This song is an absolute turd.

However, I will admit that seeing an actual song released is pretty damn cool. If they did this with a couple of singles and an eventual album release (even if they are reworked songs like Hard School, etc.), then that’s still amazing in my books.

With all that said, if this song is all we get, then this is the most gratuitous middle finger I’ve ever seen in music. And I love CD.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I......think I like it? 

I’m sending help.  😂

Just now, Stryker said:

Haven’t been keeping super up to date, but as someone who got a record player over pandemic, what do you think the odds are we see a physical release of the single?

As much as it’s not for me I do think a release would be great

• ABSUЯD 1

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I......think I like it? 

Haha ya it’s funny, even though I liked the song, was disappointed that after all this time it was our first official release but more I listen to this new version the more I like it

• ABSUЯD 1

Whatever the take on Absurd- and it really is a divisive, edgy track- the fact that these guys have actually knocked out some material in a studio/studio(s) is a major thing and SURELY this is not the only thing worked on given Hard Skool has been rehearsed for shows.

Hope they be bold and drop an album without giving a shit about the reaction- that’s the best thing they could do, they don’t need sales and number ones any more 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Amir said:

Hm, I think my one issue with the release is the backwards R meaning it's a pain to search for on Spotify and iTunes. Anyone having trouble finding the song on those platforms, just go to the Guns N' Roses artist page.

Only GNR could officially release "this song that should be heard" by spelling the title with an inverted R and making it quite difficult to search on streaming platforms. Most likely not done on purpose, but when it comes to WTF, intentional or not, no one can beat these guys. Love them.

• Haha 2

Well, if they want to pull this same stunt again. I’d say the best odds of Hardskool would be played in Los Angeles on the Thursday the 19th and announced for release at midnight Friday. 

I do have to find amusement in this. Bumbles idea was to release a couple songs when they go on tour. Each leg release a single for that leg. Then after the tour release an EP or Album. 

Only took a decade but looks like they could be jumping on the idea now.