ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

7 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

The more I think about it, the more I actually love the fact that they released this song as their first "new" song.

This track is so uncommercial and so unexpected and the fact that they could release this as their first new song speaks volumes of how big this band is. They don't need to make music that professional critics enjoy. They are above that. They can release anything that they want and this song can be seen as a big fuck you the whole hit music culture.

Back in the Chinese Democracy days, there's no way they could have released this as the first song of CD, because everyone and their mother would have ridiculed it.

But now that Slash and Duff are back in the band, GNR is basically invincible. They can do anything that they want. They are so big that they don't even have to worry about their reputation.

When was the last time a big rock band released a song with outrageous lyrics like this?  When was the last time a big rock band released a song that's as punk rock as this one?

This was a ballsy move by GNR and I love it!

:thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Grayfox said:

Well, if they want to pull this same stunt again. I’d say the best odds of Hardskool would be played in Los Angeles on the Thursday the 19th and announced for release at midnight Friday. 

I do have to find amusement in this. Bumbles idea was to release a couple songs when they go on tour. Each leg release a single for that leg. Then after the tour release an EP or Album. 

Only took a decade but looks like they could be jumping on the idea now.

Absurd 6th, next single 19th? Don't you think that's a bit too close in dates, I believe most bands release singles a month or month and a half space between them at the least

Just now, StrangerInThisTown said:

Absurd 6th, next single 19th? Don't you think that's a bit too close in dates, I believe most bands release singles a month or month and a half space between them at the least

By the standards of following what other bands do, yeah. They usually release singles in anticipation of an album that’s been announced. With GNR, who knows. There’s no announced album and they work on their own time table. To me it seems the single was released for the tour. The setlist has Absurd and Hardskool. It would make sense to have the songs out early in the tour for people to get familiar with, outside of the forum/leak downloaders. 

By the 19th any mention of Absurd will be dead and the momentum gone. So boom Hardskool. Keeps GNR looking productive. 

Just my opinion at least

5 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I like how it's also now undeniably a rich song. This is up there with OMG as GNRs heaviest track

I just compared it to OMG just a few minutes ago when I was talking to friends. OMG is one of my favorite GN'R songs, so maybe that's why this absurdity is growing on me? 

1 hour ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Yeah I actually started that thread :lol: I feel ya though, there's definitely been songs for me where the lyrics made it nearly unlistenable despite great instrumentation

Another good point. The music isn't awful, it's the infantile lyrics that really drag this down. Axl really is the weakest link on this song.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I like how it's also now undeniably a rich song. This is up there with OMG as GNRs heaviest track

It's actually growing on me. Many gnr classics had to grow on me, Coma and Locomotive for examples. I probably had the Illusion albums for a year before I started listening to those songs regularly. Now I LOVE them, I'm not sure I'll come to love Absurd, but I keep singing the chorus in my head. I will own I up to that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I just compared it to OMG just a few minutes ago when I was talking to friends. OMG is one of my favorite GN'R songs, so maybe that's why this absurdity is growing on me? 

OMG is a favorite of mine too and Absurd definitely has that same vibe.  

I would honestly love a GnR album with this sound.  It's probably my dream lol 

• Like 1

Absurd is a very fitting title. Is there any other example of a song being officially released 20 years after it's been performed live?

Of all songs they could've picked, they choose Silkworms to start the (maybe?) next album promotion.

Almost everything is reworked, save Axl vocals that were done 20 years ago.

It's absurd indeed, but what surprises me the most is Axl may still believe in this material.

My only interest at this point is hearing The General.

I have zero faith in this line-up doing justice to the vault, they just can't cover anything from Chinese properly (even Axl apparently since he doesn't even

re-works his vocals for this studio version and I doubt Hard School will have a different treatment, I guess it's an admission he knows he lost part of his voice),

but at least we may hear something "new" that we don't already have.

I'm semi-curious of hearing the studio version of Hard School with Slash & Duff, but I already know it won't be as good as the original version.

I think part of the problem is that Slash & Duff rework stuff, but Axl doesn't, and it's a very, very weird mix of old Guns & nuGuns. Axl's CD voice fitted the sound of the CD line-up,

but with Slash & Duff, I expected Axl to rework his vocals and go for a more raspy approach (like the 2010 This I Love remix).

Anyway, I don't care about Absurd, but it's encouraging in the sense a new album could be released soon. I just hope The General will be in there, with State of Grace, Zodiac

and Soul Monster.

And I hope we will get an alternate album with the original versions of those songs, I'd be much more interested in this than the cover version.

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

This comment surprised me, so I checked out OMG again. Honestly, I probably hadn't listened to it in over 15 years.  I'm actually surprised at how well it aged. I remember liking it as it was the first original GNR song in 8 years. But the glow wore off for me pretty quickly. 

• ABSUЯD 1

2 minutes ago, fantomas said:

This comment surprised me, so I checked out OMG again. Honestly, I probably hadn't listened to it in over 15 years.  I'm actually surprised at how well it aged. I remember liking it as it was the first original GNR song in 8 years. But the glow wore off for me pretty quickly. 

I absolutely hated OMG for years. Somewhere along the line it clicked and became one of my favorite GN'R songs. 

• Like 2

It's one of, it not THE heaviest gnr song, that's gotta account for something? 

Ifeel like this song was released first for the Metallica, Tool, etc rock fans out there. They tend to look at gnr as not being as "heavy" as their traditional "metal" bands, as such, they dismiss them. It's almost like a reminder that they ARE Guns n' Fucking Roses imo. They can be as heavy as ANYONE, but they can also be a lot more melodic than the other "heavy" bands.

So it might appeal to "heavy" fans, but it didn't do any favors with the Patience fans out there. But we know Axl will have a ballad or two on this album. Speaking of an album, I'm a believer now. I don't feel that they would play this song now (and possibly Hard School), if the album wasn't finished. It's not like the NUgnr days when they HAD to play some new music, because it wasn't gnr of old anymore. With Slash and Duff back, they don't HAVE to play new songs, they wanted to play it. It reminds me of the start of the Illusions tours, when they started mixing in all those new songs. They started that tour what 4-5 months before the albums came out?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Also it's nice to have Slash on something edgy and unconventional. I like his solo stuff and all that but it's pretty safe and commercial. When was the last time he was on something raunchy with some balls? Velvet Revolver?

GET OUT OF MY HEAD! That exact thought crossed my mind too! I was thinking "well....this sure ain't your usual Slash blues rock" 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, D.. said:

Absurd is a very fitting title. Is there any other example of a song being officially released 20 years after it's been performed live?

Of all songs they could've picked, they choose Silkworms to start the (maybe?) next album promotion.

Almost everything is reworked, save Axl vocals that were done 20 years ago.

It's absurd indeed, but what surprises me the most is Axl may still believe in this material.

My only interest at this point is hearing The General.

I have zero faith in this line-up doing justice to the vault, they just can't cover anything from Chinese properly (even Axl apparently since he doesn't even

re-works his vocals for this studio version and I doubt Hard School will have a different treatment, I guess it's an admission he knows he lost part of his voice),

but at least we may hear something "new" that we don't already have.

I'm semi-curious of hearing the studio version of Hard School with Slash & Duff, but I already know it won't be as good as the original version.

I think part of the problem is that Slash & Duff rework stuff, but Axl doesn't, and it's a very, very weird mix of old Guns & nuGuns. Axl's CD voice fitted the sound of the CD line-up,

but with Slash & Duff, I expected Axl to rework his vocals and go for a more raspy approach (like the 2010 This I Love remix).

Anyway, I don't care about Absurd, but it's encouraging in the sense a new album could be released soon. I just hope The General will be in there, with State of Grace, Zodiac

and Soul Monster.

And I hope we will get an alternate album with the original versions of those songs, I'd be much more interested in this than the cover version.

If he’s not redoing vocals, it’s not because he isn’t capable. Just look at Rock the Rock, Back in the Saddle, etc…He can get a take off need be. There have certainly been moments where he could have done so over the years. Singing that way for hours each night on tour is something different 

There just isn’t much proof he’s done anything with these songs since the original sessions. Whether it’s because of artistic choice, recording budgets and label issues, or valuing his own personal time. Who knows the reason 

Edited by guitarpatch

24 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

The more I think about it, the more I actually love the fact that they released this track as their first "new" song.

This track is so uncommercial and so unexpected and the fact that they could release this as their first new song speaks volumes of how big this band is. They don't need to make music that professional critics enjoy. They are above that. They can release anything that they want and this song can be seen as a big fuck you the whole hit music culture.

Back in the Chinese Democracy days, there's no way they could have released this as the first song of CD, because everyone and their mother would have ridiculed it.

But now that Slash and Duff are back in the band, GNR is basically invincible. They can do anything that they want. They are so big that they don't even have to worry about their reputation.

When was the last time a big rock band released a song with outrageous lyrics like this?  When was the last time a big rock band released a song that's as punk rock as this one?

This was a ballsy move by GNR and I love it!

Yes. It's all so boring in the Rock world with the Foo Fighters and Nickelbags. For that alone I love the fact they put out the pussy full of maggots at this point. It's a great move. They became a boring classic rock band, now everythings possible again. Clashes a bit with Duff's woke bullshit but Slash was always a pervy lol. I love it and am excited for the next move, never thought that would happen again.

• Like 2