ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

I might be of the opinion that no matter what the album ends up b into/sounding like I will love it. The mainstream audience might not, but I don't care about that. But one more guns n roses album is the perfect ending of the band for me. Whether it's good or not is secondary, honestly. I'd LOVE it to be great and the whole world love it, but I don't need that. 

Besides, just having Slash and Duff back, I'm bound to like it more than CD (which I also like). But this album will feel more like guns, even if the songs are mostly CD leftovers. But I'm hopeful Slash and Duff will get a couple of new compositions in there as well. 

Its interesting the song as credit as written by Guns n' roses. That ensures Slash and Duff writing credits, because correct me if I'm wrong, but legally Guns n' Roses are Slash, Duff, and Axl?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LandOla said:

I absolutely love how this happened. First the absolute shock of Slash and Duff performing this live. Then on the next gig the announcement by Axl and boom, the single was out. No whispers from the insiders, no rumours, nothing. To me that's a pretty fucking awesome thing to pull off these days. Hats off to Gn'R.

:thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Also it's nice to have Slash on something edgy and unconventional. I like his solo stuff and all that but it's pretty safe and commercial. When was the last time he was on something raunchy with some balls? Velvet Revolver?

I thought Beneath The Savage Sun on WOF was a bit heavier and different from Slash. But apart from that I’d say VR 

1 hour ago, fantomas said:

If this is a love letter, they can keep it. I'm too old to be getting trolled by this band. It's stale and boring. I guess the blame is mine for thinking that after 25+ years something would change.

Stale? Stale is not the word to describe this song, even if it is 20yrs old!

I mean are you looking for AFD rockers? This is 30+ years on if you are, if somethings been out that long and the band is trying to recreate it that's stale, that's "we have nothing left to say, so we'll just do what we know works" This is at least attempting something different. We've been complaining about the monotony and how take gnr, this at least shows some teeth and that old gnr attitude. 

I appreciate a band this far in saying fuck it! And going for broke. I'm not in love with the song, it's growing on me a bit but it just isn't my cup of tea... I can listen to Chinese or AFD/UYI if I don't like whatever direction they go next. More than happy for them to make the records they want to hear rather than try and please an audience like 90% of other major acts. 

Like it, don't like it, who cares! The take away is that there's life in the old dog yet. Before you go writing them off, you really need to know what the rest of the songs sound like, it could be very varied again.

5 minutes ago, rosesandguns said:

I just wonder how many of that people who were "demanding" new material from Guns N' Roses before embarking another tour are whining now how the song didn't match their requirements :)

Have a look through the thread, the answer is: next to zero. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned this (thread is 39 pages) but this is very similar to them releasing Shacklers first via rock band in 2008. It got some buzz going with a pretty weird GNR song and then they followed with more traditional type singles with CD and Better. May be a similar strategy going on here. Plus Axl has that weird sense of humor and I think releasing a song called Absurd first appeals to that. 

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

Besides Absurd, I'd say the Illusions were the last time Slash REALLY played on songs that are "pushing the envelope" musically and artistically. Sure he had Anastasia and some other moments, but they were still pretty "safe" imo. Axl on the other hand is ALWAYS pushing the limits, to his detriment at times. Songs like Coma, Locomotive, and now Absurd is where the two meet. I prefer Coma and Locomotive, but I'm curious about the rest of the album. If nothing else, this album will be interesting from a creative stand point. Say what you will about CD, but it might be the most "progressive" album ever by a band that started out as a "hard rock" band. Sure Tool and others push the envelope, but they can't rock the "old school" style like Guns can. Which other bands from guns era, can't write songs like Absurd. I'm sorry they just can't. I'm of the opinion that AC/DC hasnt been relevant creativity since The Razors Edge. I could say the same about Metallica and others. 

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

Pitman wakes up. 

While sipping coffee, he turns on his PC and clicks on a music feed. 

His phone keeps beeping with messages, but he thinks "Leave me alone, you dicks, it’s 9 in the morning."

A headline jumps out at him. 

He stops the coffee cup halfway to his mouth. 

His eyes widen.

Silence. 

"This must be a hoax," flashes through his head. 

He clicks on other sources. 

It’s everywhere. 

His phone buzzes with various social media, e-mail, and bank account sounds. 

He puts the cup down and looks out of the window. 

Thoughts running through his head. "Is this actually happening?"

"I mean, I know you fucked me over hard in that lawsuit, but… is this supposed to be some sort of compensation? Why this? Why now? What the fuck, man?"

He picks up the phone. A few missed calls and unread messages from Dizzy on the top of a heap of other messages. 

"Should I open a celebratory bottle?" is the last thought we hear before leaving him there in peace. 

I’m still on the floor laughing at the bank account ping sounds 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

K listened to it all the way through. Love the Medusa head with the snakes in the video.

Some parts sound like Axl and other parts don't. I guess GNR are trying different things and I guess that's good. WE don't want the same GNR songs over again.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing it live! 

Loved seeing Axl singing the Biz Markie song. I had to laugh because he sang the only words that I remember. lol 

Ya, call me crazy... But I think it's coming. I feel like its been done, the whole pandemic has put them on the waiting game. 

They didn't NEED a new album before, they could sell the reunion. Now it's new album time. Axl even said so when he said "We had to finish this, before we could work on what's next." Or something similar. I'm going to base things off of how things have been since the reunion started, which has been very professional, and very smart business wise. Just look at all the new merch... They didn't have that back in 02,06,09, etc. Everything has a BIGGER feel now, as such I think they are making the smart moves. They want to tour and make their money that way, in order to do that, you need new music, other wise people get bored. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned this (thread is 39 pages) but this is very similar to them releasing Shacklers first via rock band in 2008. It got some buzz going with a pretty weird GNR song and then they followed with more traditional type singles with CD and Better. May be a similar strategy going on here. Plus Axl has that weird sense of humor and I think releasing a song called Absurd first appeals to that. 

I reminded my wife of that exactly same thing with Shacklers last night. 

• Like 1

Listened to Absurd again. This is where I stand:

Top tier GnR songs: Estranged, TWAT, November Rain, SCOM, Civil War, Locomotive

Amazing Songs: Nightrain, WTTJ, Paradise City, Rocket Queen, YCBM, Prostitute, Catcher, Pretty Tied Up, Double Talkin Jive, Coma, Better, Madagascar

Good Songs: Mr.Brownstone, Out Ta Get Me, Patience, Used To Love Her, Yesterdays, Don't Cry, Chinese Democracy, Street of Dreams, If The World, IRS, OMG

Ok Songs: You're Crazy (Lies), 14 Years, Dust N' Bones, Back Off Bitch, The Garden, Dead Horse, Shackler's Revenge

Bad Songs: Think About You, My Michelle, One In A Million, GITR, So Fine, Perfect Crime, YATF, Bad Obsession, Bad Apples

Horrible Songs: Anything Goes, Shotgun Blues, RNDTH, Scraped, Riad, Sorry, TIL

Garbage: My World, Absurd

• Confused 1