ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

21 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

I think what’s most appealing is Slash playing Guns N Roses guitar. There is just something he does that’s a bit different that he does on Guns songs that he doesn’t do on any of his other material. 

That's why I'm all in ! Anything with Slash sounding like GNR Slash that You can't find in any other proyect. Velvet was close though

• Like 1

I still find it hilarious they released Silkworms, but it's also just sad. It's been a bad song for 20+ years and having Slash and Duff play it doesn't change that. There's some cool parts but overall, it's a clusterfuck. Axl's been tinkering with this song for 2 decades, only wrote one fucking verse, and (predictably) released old vocals.

It would make sense to follow this up with Hardschool next week, then in 2 weeks announce an album, but unless the reaction starts getting really bad, this will probably be it until the end of the tour.

However... CD2 featuring Slash, Duff, Brain and maybe some Buckethead will be fucking crazy, in a good way. :axl:

• ABSUЯD 1

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I still find it hilarious they released Silkworms, but it's also just sad. It's been a bad song for 20+ years and having Slash and Duff play it doesn't change that. There's some cool parts but overall, it's a clusterfuck. Axl's been tinkering with this song for 2 decades, only wrote one fucking verse, and (predictably) released old vocals.

Put this song on Libertad and we'd be ragging on this as B+ material and not worth Axl's time.

I don't think this was a Herculean effort from any of the parties involved and I think it shows. It doesn't even have Cornshucker charm.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Taking it personally is right and it is pathetic!  I even told one of my friends today that it is pathetic that I am so let down by a song or a band at my age.  I have just been a huge Guns/Slash fan for like 35 years now! haha

I was hoping this was just some random one off but isn't Hardschool more of the same? Sounds like another song already leaked by NuGuns that will be cut and pasted together with Duff and Slash recording shit other people wrote.. Probably 20 year old vocals.. No one will really know who is actually playing what on the song..

Anyway, I need to crash out,  For all those that like it like @RussTCB, I am happy for them.. Sometimes I question his taste ;) but all good. 

Yeah, you’re probably not wrong.

But at this point this is likely the best we’re going to get. 

Feels like bonus points to me. 

14 minutes ago, sc_gunner said:

@RussTCB @downzy This is the greatest like icon ever! I'm using this for all my likes for now on. Because after all this band is soooo fucking ABSURD!

Credit goes to @alfierose 

She’s the MVP who crushed it at the last minute. I didn’t even notice it was a thing until well after people were using it. 

• Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, downzy said:

Yeah, you’re probably not wrong.

But at this point this is likely the best we’re going to get. 

Feels like bonus points to me. 

Credit goes to @alfierose 

She’s the MVP who crushed it at the last minute. I didn’t even notice it was a thing until well after people were using it. 

THANK YOU @alfierose !

12 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Couldn't agree more. I've dropped like 200 ABSURDs in the past 2 days lol

Ha! I can't give anymore ABSURD likes because I'm out all together. Promise to give you one for this next logon.

Edited by sc_gunner
  • ABSUЯD 2

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

That's just shy of where I'm at. I don't love it, but I do really like it now. 

It does help that the worlds foremost authority on all things Pitman (wagszilla) was over tonight as part of my Friday night music gathering. 

We played it more than a few times and wagsz preached the word of Pitman to me lol

There’s a guy who loves Pitman that much? Any recommendations on his stuff? I assume he has talent if Axl hired him. But, I’ve never done a deep dive on him. 

1 hour ago, downzy said:

I remember my grade nine health/gym teacher telling us, with respect to cutting salt out of our diet, that most people can acquire a taste for something if you consume it 16 times.

I think this is what has happened to most fans over the last 24 hours. Listen to almost anything on repeat and you’ll end up finding something to like.

I gave it two or three spins and stopped. I don’t want to like it out of sheer exposure.

But to each to their own 🤪

Life without salt would not be life. 

20 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It would make sense to follow this up with Hardschool next week, then in 2 weeks announce an album, but unless the reaction starts getting really bad, this will probably be it until the end of the tour.

However... CD2 featuring Slash, Duff, Brain and maybe some Buckethead will be fucking crazy, in a good way. :axl:

Would make sense to release more songs or announce a album and use it as promotion to sell the tour. But yeah making sense hasn't been a strong point for gnr in the past.

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

1 hour ago, downzy said:

I remember my grade nine health/gym teacher telling us, with respect to cutting salt out of our diet, that most people can acquire a taste for something if you consume it 16 times.

I think this is what has happened to most fans over the last 24 hours. Listen to almost anything on repeat and you’ll end up finding something to like.

I gave it two or three spins and stopped. I don’t want to like it out of sheer exposure.

But to each to their own 🤪

Yeah. "Real" fans, if they don't like something, listen to it until they like it. ;) I listened to it 2 times and never want to hear it again.

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 2

46 minutes ago, downzy said:

I wouldn’t take the release of this song so, um, personally, for the lack of a better word. I have a hard time believing they’ll follow this up with something similar.  All signs point to Hard School being the next bullet in the chamber.  Consider the release of Absurd as forward progress moving towards something bigger and better.

It’s a start (hopefully).

If anything it should give us hope and perhaps even faith that there’s more to come.

Perhaps hold off on booking anything until you see something that makes sense to you personally. I can’t see tickets being all that hard to get last minute. You’re only unknown variable here is the ability to fly to Florida (which, to be honest with you, wouldn’t be my first choice in destinations). 

Downzy what is the coolest place you have seen this lineup? I’m aiming for Dublin next year. I pray I can get shrooms thru customs. 

Edited by Ixtlan
  • Like 1

State of Grace, Perhaps, Atlas Shrugged, Hard School, Soul Monster, Oklahoma, The General, Quicksong, Zodiac ... The next Guns album has the potential to be a fucking epic release ... I had nearly lost all hope on an album but with them releasing SILKWORMS of all songs has completely restored my faith that CDII is still in the works and will see the light of day ... Rock music is in desperate need of epic tunes and these songs I think will have a great impact

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ixtlan said:

Downzy what is the coolest place you have seen this lineup? I’m aiming for Dublin next year. I pray I can get shrooms thru customs. 

Good question. One I can’t answer easily.

Probably the city you want to party after the show.

I’ve seen this lineup three times in Toronto, once in Detroit, and once in Buffalo.

But if I could see them anywhere it would probably be LA, NYC, or London.

Have fun in Dublin!

31 minutes ago, downzy said:

I have a very hard time believing that anyone involved with Guns, including Axl, thinks this song is going to light the world on fire.  It’s even harder to believe that the fait of new music relies on the reception of a song that I think for most in the band is a fun song that isn’t meant to be taken too seriously. Absurd is the perfect title for the song. The whole thing is absurd for the reasons you outline. I know Axl doesn’t get a ton of credit around here and online, but I have to believe he understands what the song is and what it isn’t. 

Yea I'm sure they're not expecting this to be a hit or anything but it's a song that should've been a b-side or EP track at best. The only way it really makes sense to release this first is if Hardschool gets released soon, and seems that much better in comparison. :lol:

I don't think the fate of new music depends on the reception of the song but if it starts getting more negative attention it might spur them to release Hardschool sooner. :shrugs:It was a great troll move from Axl though and he's probably gotten some entertainment out of the reactions.

• Like 1

Am I remembering wrong or didn't the song originally have a bridge that went something like;

"Oh tell me what can I do?
With a bitch like you?
You know that it's true."

????

NuGNR's Silkworms actually grew on me a ton so I am enjoying this I just think it's a poor effort for a "first new song in 13 years and first new studio release song of Axl with Slash in how many years it's been" sort of song.

Slash's guitar sounds amazing on this.  Just feels surreal hearing (sort of) new Axl vocals with new work from Slash

Song has a great chaotic energy to it but man I wish they had just released BRING IT BACK HOME (!!!!!!) instead if they wanted to finish an old unfinished but unofficially released track about girls

I want a whole album of sleazy, bluesy rock sounding GN'R songs like that

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma

2 minutes ago, fantomas said:

He was about 20 when he wrote that. At some point you have to grow the fuck up. 

Yeah, I like the song but Silkworms felt a bit juvenile in 2001.  It feels much more so now.  It's So Easy is much more "classy" in its raunchiness as well that makes it timeless.  Nothing wrong raunchy songs.  Obnoxiously vulgar songs feel a bit much at this stage in the game for GN'R.  Still enjoy the song but this whole situation has clear faults to it

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

State of Grace, Perhaps, Atlas Shrugged, Hard School, Soul Monster, Oklahoma, The General, Quicksong, Zodiac ... The next Guns album has the potential to be a fucking epic release ... I had nearly lost all hope on an album but with them releasing SILKWORMS of all songs has completely restored my faith that CDII is still in the works and will see the light of day ... Rock music is in desperate need of epic tunes and these songs I think will have a great impact

I don't want to set unrealistic expectations but with the unfinished/unreleased heavy hitter songs that would have been on CDII, whatever stuff Slash and others may have been working on over the years plus new ideas, they just might release a fantastic album

38 minutes ago, Ixtlan said:

Are there any members here who now have renewed hope for an album? I mean the fans who said it would never happen. 

I believe now, more than ever