ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

5 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Original members who returned five years ago, grafting frankenstein parts onto a twenty year old song , with a twenty year old original vocal track; a song which wasn't good enough to hack it on an album which came out thirteen years ago.   

What a steaming chimera of uninspired.

Just because a song doesn't make it onto an album it doesn't mean it wasn't good enough. Shadow Of Your Love is objectively superior to at least 4-5 AFD cuts but didn't make the final tracklist. Hell, even YCBM and Nov Rain didn't make the cut on Appetite.

And I would take Absurd/Silkworms over half of what's on Chinese tbh.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Original members who returned five years ago, grafting frankenstein parts onto a twenty year old song , with a twenty year old original vocal track; a song which wasn't good enough to hack it on an album which came out thirteen years ago.   

What a steaming chimera of uninspired.

Chinese was supposed to be a triple album. Axl was never gonna put all the great stuff on CD and then release shitty stuff on CD II and III. This is backed up by the fact that songs like Perhaps and Soul Monster were not included. 

They just talked about it on german radio. Said they are going to play it alot and then on Monday talk about it. "Oh god, please don't" was my reaction.

That's the bad thing about not releasing Hard Skkkool as the first single: If you're not Michael Jackson or Taylor Swift nobody will care about the second single. So the first impression for the world of new-old-new GNR will be Absurd. Oh, well. At least until now the reviews were positive so I guess the song isn't as bad as I think.

Edited by TheGeneral
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Just because a song doesn't make it onto an album it doesn't mean it wasn't good enough. Shadow Of Your Love is objectively superior to at least 4-5 AFD cuts but didn't make the final tracklist. Hell, even YCBM and Nov Rain didn't make the cut on Appetite.

That can indeed be true, in many cases.  In this particular instance, however, and, in my opinion, it wasn't good enough then, and it's certainly not good enough to carry the flag as the first "original" song by the legacy band members in thirty years now.

Thanks for adding your unprompted thoughts on Chinese to my opinion of this song, though.  Next time I'll ring you before I give my subjective opinion so I can accept notes.

Edited by oneway23

37 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Idk about that part, but the rest of the song is all him. Left and right rhythm tracks and the solos.

Fortus plays some of the solos live. Wouldn't that mean the he also played them in the studio? 

26 minutes ago, Towelie said:

How do you know? Fortus plays some of the lead when they do it live.

Just now, Sosso said:

Fortus plays some of the solos live. Wouldn't that mean the he also played them in the studio? 

Listen to it, it's pretty clear it's all Slash (including the left rhythm guitar). Like for instance at 1:10 on the left side he does that thing where he taps on the high strings with the pick. The tone and mannerisms of the playing is 100% him. I guess they switch off on the solos live so that it flows better or something.

21 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Chinese was supposed to be a triple album. Axl was never gonna put all the great stuff on CD and then release shitty stuff on CD II and III. This is backed up by the fact that songs like Perhaps and Soul Monster were not included. 

Perhaps it's because it's early here in NY, or, maybe it's because I haven't yet had coffee, but, either way, I fail to see your point here.

Axl had GREAT unfinished stuff left over for multiple releases, that much is true.  It's likely, much like many other albums, that these nonexistent, hypothetical, future releases may have contained some combination of (hopefully) great songs, a few good ones, and, well, maybe some others which were, let's say, less than good?

None of this changes the fact the Silkworms simply wasn't worthy of a release, in my opinion, at any point over the past two decades, and certainly not as the first taste of "new" studio music from the "reunited" Guns N' Roses . 

The basic structure, the fundamental "bones" of a song, the core arrangement upon which you hang all of the other bells and whistles, is simply not that strong.

Edited by oneway23

11 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

They just talked about it on german radio. Said they are going to play it alot and then on Monday talk about it. "Oh god, please don't" was my reaction.

That's the bad thing about not releasing Hard Skkkool as the first single: If you're not Michael Jackson or Taylor Swift nobody will care about the second single. So the first impression for the world of new-old-new GNR will be Absurd. Oh, well. At least until now the reviews were positive so I guess the song isn't as bad as I think.

Exactly, I keep saying they should have started with Hard School and made a proper video for it. It wouldn’t have to be too laborious – if they just patched together some of that goddamn 30-second clips they keep feeding us with on Facebook, it could pass off as sufficient and above all, the song is levels better than Absurd Silkworms. Again, crying out for logic in the world of GN’R is… Remember what that Vogon guard said? "Resistance is futile."

2 hours ago, metalavenger99 said:

I've been following this website since 2015 and never actually had an account, always as a guest, but with everything that's going on right now.... at least in my experience ... this is crazy as fuck, surreal.

I heard the latest leak before this release, in late 2019, the one with the Bumblefoot parts, and man i actually liked it, maybe because I'm more heavy metal or even brutal metal genres-leaned, so the lyrics weren't really a problem, I thought it was fun, downloaded it and heard it regularly, then the pandemic happened and you know.....

But since two weeks ago with the comeback after the virus and the hype about Hard School I started to listen to the CD2 stuff again and this time I got obsessed with Silkworms, I was playing it every other hour.

Guys I know that for the mainstream listener, average Gnr fan, and even die hard fans this song is probably a huge pile of steaming shit, and if it is for you, and you are disappointed, well I do understand you, I guess at least we got something officially "New" for the first time in years.....but again if it's shit to you, I get that. 

Now following the previous, literally last week I showed this to my brother (non metal/rock listener) and I warned him: "dude this might sound like shit to you and it maybe is, but you have to listen to this forgotten GnR song that you'll never listen in your life again, haha" - 7 days later here we are ... man wtf is even happening right now?? Doesn't feel real, the song that I was 15 days ago plugging my earphones, on the street, ready to listen to... and then I was like... oh shit, right, it's an illegal leak, I have to download the mp3 on each device... now, that song is getting attention and covering on mainstream media-press, average rock fans and random people all over the world are listening to this now 15 days later hahaha, what the fuck man. Ok maybe nobody cares, cause we've all listened to it at some point but god fucking damn what a weird coincidence... it could've been any CD2 song, more Slash-fitting. 

Fun fact: maybe this is obvious and maybe it is all over the forum, however, I've only seen a few people asking this here, and I've just got in, so I've read people on social media and many headlines saying that the instrumental part has been completely reworked, now, the intro could be Fortus but that sound doesn't match with his tone and definitely doesn't match with his recent gear, and .. as of this moment he hasn't even shared it on IG, as a guitar player myself and having listened to the demos 120 million times I will say that the intro is actually Buckethead's killswitch lick, (guitar signal-off effect button, ex: Better, ChinDem, TWAT, etc..) so even if you knew that already, think of it this way:  for the CD era-guitar-fanatics and for the people that used to be into "Slash vs Buckethead" this is actually the ultimate crossover lol, he is not credited as a solo artist like Brain but credited as a whole along with Pitman in "Music by: Guns N' Roses", I don't know, but it is his part. 

Welcome to the forum :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Attacking one woman is as misogynistic as attacking one black man is racist. Misogeny is the systematic contemp for women, a devaluation of a sex, not simply disliking one person who happens to be a woman. If we are going to use the misogyny card every time someone expresses anger at a woman, regardless of how abrasive or vulgar that is, we depower the term misogyny to a point where it becomes impotent while we at the same time raise women on a pedestal where they individually become sacrosanct. The same goes for people of other ethnicities, religions and lifestyles. 

I agree.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Perhaps it's because it's early here in NY, or, maybe it's because I haven't yet had coffee, but, either way, I fail to see your point here.

Axl had GREAT unfinished stuff left over for multiple releases, that much is true.  It's likely, much like many other albums, that these nonexistent, hypothetical, future releases may have contained some combination of (hopefully) great, good, and, well, maybe some songs which were, let's say, less than good.

None of this changes the fact the Silkworms simply wasn't worthy of a release, in my opinion, at any point over the past two decades, and certainly not as the first taste of "new" studio music from the "reunited" Guns N' Roses .  The basic structure, the fundamental "bones" of a song, the core arrangement upon which you hang all of the other bells and whistles, is simply not that strong.

Your point was that Silkworms wasn't good enough to be put on CD 13 years ago. I'm saying that's definitely not why it wasn't put on CD. All the evidence you need for that is that he's also had much better songs that he didn't put on CD. It simply wasn't put on CD because Axl didn't want to release it then. That's all. Back in 2013, 5 years after CD, he said he was still excited about Silkworms, and that it was gonna be on the next album. He obviously likes this song a lot, he's hung onto it for 20 years now and never gave up on it.

Whether it's good or not is up for debate, criticizing a persons artistic choices is dumb IMO. Personally all I can say is I believe it's more of a statement song than one that is supposed to impress you with its musicality. Those will probably come later. My guess is Axl realizes putting out a regular rock song like Hard School is boring for him, he's got nothing to prove and just likes to do what he wants, and this is exactly the music he wants to release.

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Your point was that Silkworms wasn't good enough to be put on CD 13 years ago. I'm saying that's definitely not why it wasn't put on CD. All the evidence you need for that is that he's also had much better songs that he didn't put on CD. It simply wasn't put on CD because Axl didn't want to release it then. That's all. Back in 2013, 5 years after CD, he said he was still excited about Silkworms, and that it was gonna be on the next album. He obviously likes this song a lot, he's hung onto it for 20 years now and never gave up on it.

Whether it's good or not is up for debate, criticizing a persons artistic choices is dumb IMO. Personally all I can say is I believe it's more of a statement song than one that is supposed to impress you with its musicality. Those will probably come later. My guess is Axl realizes putting out a regular rock song like Hard School is boring for him, he's got nothing to prove and just likes to do what he wants, and this is exactly the music he wants to release.

A statement song, eh?  You got it, bub.

Let's see what else they've got in store.

37 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It simply wasn't put on CD because Axl didn't want to release it then. That's all. 

So why was it on CD back in 2000? The record company didnt want Silkworms on the comeback album, thats why it wasnt on CD. Im sure Axl likes Silkworms/absurd, so does I to some degree.

On 8/6/2021 at 9:34 AM, Higson95 said:

Annoys me that Brain is on drums.... why can't it be a current line up effort instead of using a 20 year old drum and vocal track? Van Halen made tracks like "She's a woman" sound FRESH by recording it new despite it being a shelved track. Guarantee you the album will be Silkworms, Oh my God, Hardschool and then all the leaks with new guitar and bass

Because he's the best drummer GNR had.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

It's on rough mixes disc one, in what way does that indicate it was gonna be on the album

I have always assumed that disc 1 was intendend to be released as the first album, since all the songs on disc 1 was 100% done and Most of them was played live. 

but perhaps I was wrong...

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

Shadow is objectively superior to 4-5 AFD songs? Which fucking ones? I only count 1…maybe

25 minutes ago, jettesnel said:

I have always assumed that disc 1 was intendend to be released as the first album, since all the songs on disc 1 was 100% done and Most of them was played live. 

but perhaps I was wrong...

I've seen a few people with the same idea, I don't buy it I think it's just a selection of songs put on a disc that they were focusing on as priority or the big guns. But then irs isn't on the disc, along with a few others spread over the discs. 

Edited by rumandraisin
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1