ABSUЯD Single released at midnight

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I have no problems with the lyrics. Not saying they are great, just that there is a place for venom and aggressiveness in arts. Most people have at times, even fleetingly, felt similar emotions to another person. It's just the musical manifestation of that feeling. There are entire bands and genres of music devoted to the same aggressive, abrasive emotions. Not every lyrics can be trying to portray a story reflecting on the true nature of humanity, but in a way these lyrics actually and ironically do. Again, they are not great lyrics in the sense that most people couldn't have come up with similarly ranting rhymes, but they work in conveying a believable emotion. 

Well said. “Absurd (SW)” has always had a Charles Baudelaire-vibe to it IMHO. In fact, wouldn’t surprise me (though to be clear- have no idea) if Axl was reading a lot of Baudelaire in the late 90s. It’s almost as if “Absurd (SW)”’s “TIL”’s evil twin brother. If one side of emotion is worthy of expression- why not the other? 

Now “strategically” is it the best move? Admittedly, have to wonder. Baudelaire wasn’t well-received- at least initially- and this may well not be either- particularly in the current environment. There’s something very G N’ R Lies IMHO about putting it out there anyway though. Hopefully, there’s a “Patience”-level track coming along too to uphold the whole effort.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 2

2 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

They just talked about it on german radio. Said they are going to play it alot and then on Monday talk about it. "Oh god, please don't" was my reaction.

That's the bad thing about not releasing Hard Skkkool as the first single: If you're not Michael Jackson or Taylor Swift nobody will care about the second single. So the first impression for the world of new-old-new GNR will be Absurd. Oh, well. At least until now the reviews were positive so I guess the song isn't as bad as I think.

Funny that you say this. Appetite For Destruction was not a huge hit until a later single was released (Sweet Child O' Mine). Welcome To The Jungle did not go Top 10 on the charts until it was re-released after Sweet Child's massive success. Axl joked years ago in a radio interview that they kept ramming Jungle down the public's throat with re-releases until it finally stuck. 

I am going to take a different approach here. First of all, Absurd is clearly a joke release by Axl. It's a hell of a troll job. Imagine if "My World" was released as a single in 1991. He's creating some polarized buzz with this Absurd release. He's also setting extremely low expectations. People are going to love the hell out of Hard School or whatever else comes after this Absurd song, haha 

16 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Not an insider and never claimed to be one. Always hated those self serving individuals who want to take credit for posting shit..blah blah...blah..I’m just fortunate enough to be around some amazing company because of the work that I do and I’m in a trusted, close knit group where people talk. I got into trouble in 2016 when I specifically posted about the MetLife shows before they were announced so I pick and choose my battles now. 

Honest to god this is how it went down last night. When Axl announced that Absurd was dropping at midnight both my friend and I looked at each other in shock because we were both told the first single was going to be Hardschool. Absurd, IMO was a horrible choice. However, maybe they are going to officially label Hardschool as the first “single” for the new album.There hasn’t been any mention of singles yet. They are just promoting this as a “new fn’ song” also cringeworthy.  And no, I don’t know the name but I think many of us know that “Reloaded” has been thrown around.

Regarding the album I, along with multiple others was told it was going to come out last year. The writing was all over the place. Hellen Keller could have seen it coming. COVID did indeed fuck that up. It’s been recorded and finished. Highly confident it’s this year. Am I saying I know for certain? No. But I’ll trust what I’m currently seeing and hearing. As always, let’s see what happens.  

And lastly, TB is god awfully abysmal as a management company for literally the biggest band in the world. 

Maybe just the way I’m interpreting it - but what do you mean ‘all over the place’….that means from where I’m from it’s a total mess!

But it could also mean the styles are varied….or they were writing at various places/locations?

The Beta Instagram comments are a little over the top. It's social media where people shit on everything and the negative voices are always the loudest. Above all that, there will be people who simply don't like the song and it's all good. I don't see what she's trying to accomplish by responding to as many comments as she can.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Reloaded is a kinda bland album name. If whoever runs their insta has a say it'll be F'n Reloaded. 

I can sort of see it fitting. The band has had a reboot, a second time around chance plus it invokes gun imagery.

At the same time it is a bit generic and has been used by other artists across various mediums - sequel films and that kind of thing.

8 hours ago, Arnuld said:

Velvet was close but it still wasn’t quite the same. 

He wasn't trying to have his playing sound liek Guns in VR... They were objectively not trying to sound like Guns.. Snakepit though, his playing in that was very much like in Guns N' Roses...

5 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

The song's a bit repetitive but, overall, I like it. For every accusation that this is a Prodigy ripoff, to me it sounds pretty much like what Guns N' Roses would sound like in 2021. This band was always only half of a 'classic blues based rock' band - the other half was *always* punk inspired, and this is that side of the band. If you really listen to it, in both sound and spirit, this song is a descendant of It's So Easy.

Fans complaining about what should and should not be the first single of a potential new album is ridiculous - we're not marketing executives for a record label. Who *cares* what would make a good first single or where it falls on the charts? All of that shit only matters to people in the music industry.

And never did I expect to read Guns N' Roses fans dissecting Axl Rose's lyrics for hints of misogyny or complaining that they aren't politically correct enough for the times. Axl Rose! Which band have you *been listening to* all these years? Shouting about a parasitic, syphilitic priestess baby with a pussy full of maggots sticks out so much because, honestly, there are a lot of bands who wouldn't even *dare* say that type of shit in today's climate. That's a certain type of ballsy, 'fuck you' swagger that I love from this band.

So to recap:

1. Mean, aggressive sounding punk tune? Check.

2. Axl ranting without a care in the world? Check.

3. Slash shredding away? Check.

I love it. Hard School is a bit too bland compared to this one. I'm an Absurd fan.

Agree with almost everything you said, but I don't think Hard School is too bland. By releasing a more strange song like Absurd, I think they are setting up the general audience to be pleasantly surprised by Hard School. I really like Slash & Duff's work on Absurd. They elevated it from the demo versions of Silkworms. I am curious to see what they do with Hard School. It has big time potential. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

After repeated listens I've narrowed my complaints, complaints, complaints list down to the following questions:

Why aren't there more lyrics? Why does it repeat the same verse THREE times?

Why does the middle / breakdown part exist? It completely kills the fun & aggressive vibe going until then. 

Overall, I dig it now but I can't get over those two things. 

I agree. If anything, I think they could have ditched one of the verses, that weird slow breakdown bit, and then just had a quick 2 and a half minute aggressive song built around that riff. Not that it's overly long to begin with, but it would feel less repetitive and maintain the energy the whole time.

• ABSUЯD 1

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

After repeated listens I've narrowed my complaints, complaints, complaints list down to the following questions:

Why aren't there more lyrics? Why does it repeat the same verse THREE times?

Why does the middle / breakdown part exist? It completely kills the fun & aggressive vibe going until then. 

Overall, I dig it now but I can't get over those two things. 

The repeated lyrics aren;t good really. The original chorus wasn't great, but I never felt that the song was repetative because of it. I think in the House of Blues Axl actually sung some of the chorus in his normal voice, which added some dynamism to it.

I think simple song structures can work if they're lyrically dense, whereas this just repeats the same riff and lines over and over again. Even though it's really short it's still too long. I'd have got it down to 90 seconds, like Attitude. It would still have generated the same amount of buzz.

• Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

I was late to the game on the Beta thing. I didn't see/hear about her comments until way late yesterday. 

Her comments are unbelievable, uncalled for and really make the band look bad. 

Indeed. Even the vibe here is super positive for the most part for the first time in what, maybe three or four years? Finally the band actually does something and reading her comments quickly sours the mood back to the usual "complaints, complaints, complaints" typical of Guns N' Roses and management.

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

I loved the song! I'm not gonna lie, I feel a bit nostalgic because I liked that 2001 version of Silkworms that we heard on Rock in Rio, and probably we will never hear it now. However, "Absurd" sounds amazing! The production is amazing, the guitars are amazing and Axl's voice actually sounds great with the effects (which was my fear, because I didn't like the effects on the Bumblefoot's version of the song that leaked), but on this one the vocals stand out more and are more loud which is great (obviously the other one was a demo so that's why too).

The acapella was awesome too and I love the lyrics. It's the perfect spitfire song for someone you don't like lol I wonder what the song means to Axl though... Would love to know what the song is about.

I have a question though... If they can do this with their supposedly worst song from the Chinese Democracy era and turn it into an awesome song, imagine what they can do with all the other songs??

I can't wait for Hard School, The General, Atlas and the rest!

Right now I have my dear "Silkworms" (it will always be called that way for me, on loop, for days now.

People that read my posts, know that I will criticize, when I don't like something, so I'm really enjoying this.

Edited by Propaganda

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

Exactly, I keep saying they should have started with Hard School and made a proper video for it. It wouldn’t have to be too laborious – if they just patched together some of that goddamn 30-second clips they keep feeding us with on Facebook, it could pass off as sufficient and above all, the song is levels better than Absurd Silkworms. Again, crying out for logic in the world of GN’R is… Remember what that Vogon guard said? "Resistance is futile."

The more I come here I get sucked into thinking "maybe Absurd is ok" then out of nowhere a friend texts me and says "so...that new gnr song... it's pretty hideous". As for getting attention, this song was genius. Getting positive attention and building anticipation among general fans, this song has done no good with people outside of the absolute most hardcore Chinese Democracy fan. I thought I was hardcore but no😄

I hope a new single comes out relatively quickly to soften this song. Hardskool is the clear follow up... well that we're aware of. 

What is clear is that whoever chose Absurd as the first single needs to be removed from the decision process🤣

Also... Beta responding to comments telling fans not to listen to gnrs new song. I mean what the fuck is she thinking? Get off the Internet. It's not as if she will actually go back to Axl and tell him the feedback on the song is overwhelmingly negative, so what the fuck is her point? 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, oneway23 said:

Original members who returned five years ago, grafting frankenstein parts onto a twenty year old song , with a twenty year old original vocal track; a song which wasn't good enough to hack it on an album which came out thirteen years ago.   

What a steaming chimera of uninspired.

For the most part you can see it is mostly fans of CD that are into it and excited. The rest of the world and fans aren't..

Edited by Tom-Ass

1 minute ago, James Bond said:

Indeed. Even the vibe here is super positive for the most part for the first time in what, maybe three or four years? Finally the band actually does something and reading her comments quickly sours the mood back to the usual "complaints, complaints, complaints" typical of Guns N' Roses and management.

I think you're right about this. I'm negative about the song, but I see it as a failed experiment more than anything else. I still find it interesting and am interested in and positive about what they're going to do next. A lot of the more negative viewpoints here are the same.